Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

ftp problem

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: ftp problem

Post by mcrossley »

I don't think it is timing out, the response happens in 56 ms - "command unrecognized" - which is pretty clear.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

The OP says it works at home pushing to the same FTP server, even with the lack of FEAT. So I thought it may have been timing out when using the basic FTP commands when at the second location. If it works at home but not at the second location on identical hardware then surely it's something environmental like connection speed?
Freddie
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

True, without the FEAT working the FTP client will use much slower mechanisms to pulling file information from the server - which was what was causing issues in the previous version of the FTP client for some users, it was defaulting to the slow methods when it shouldn't have (the FEAT response was not registered correctly).

But yes, given the same FTP server works at one location and not another does indicate the network at the sailing club. There is more to consider than just speed, round-trip times, what proxies/caching servers the ISP uses, QoS for different protocols etc.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Looking at the logs again, it would have been nice to see the initial logon try and perform a file upload.

The other log shows the FTP client is using the NLST command to determine if a file exists, this is really slow command on some servers and it likely that which is timing out.

I'd be on to the FTP server admins and asking why it is not supporting the FEAT command.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

How are you ftping to the server, by domain name or IP?

If it's domain name then perhaps using a different DNS server on your clients IP may help.

I know Virgin medias DNS servers can be slow at times.

I use cloudfares, Google or Quad9 servers

Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0

jsel
Weather Station: Davis VP
Operating System: Pi Zero 2 W bullseye

Post by jsel »

Hi all thanks for your comments, given me several lines to pursue, Ionos have confirmed they do not support FEAT
John
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

jsel wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 9:05 am Hi all thanks for your comments, given me several lines to pursue, Ionos have confirmed they do not support FEAT
John
then perhaps try using php uploads then. That's if Ionos allow that feature set also...
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir • CumulusMX v4.0.0