Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Anemometer just broke!

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Anemometer just broke!

Post by mcrossley »

I see you are back on-line Ray - new unit arrived, or fixed the old one?
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Hi Mark,

New unit. Alan who runs the station at Flixton played a blinder helping me set it up. Despite a brisk breeze he went up onto the roof and swapped the old for new.

We found the cups stuck in the gutter of next door. Unbroken but the cap under the wind cups had come off some time ago and this had exposed the inside to the elements. The spindle holding the cups in place had then fractured on Wednesday night.

He took it home and has rung and told me he's cleaned and fixed it. The vane was full of rubbish hence why it wasn't moving much. It will now serve as a backup but as I have the new model which doesn't have a reed switch I would hope it would not be needed for many years if at all.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)

Post by mikechristelow »

Will you be updating your Station Info page :lol:

Seriously, it's good to see you're fixed again, fingers crossed.
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Good point! I'll give it some thought. Not such good quality after all perhaps.

Relieved to be back up running after 54 hours gap. First time I've had such a break. Just in time for more storms in the next few days.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mikechristelow
Weather Station: Watson W8681 (solar)

Post by mikechristelow »

It's a mare when it breaks or stops - mine (a cheapo TechnoLine affair) fell victim to a blasted spider in early September (obviously taking advantage of the long hot summer we'd had :roll: ) and it was a week before I could get up to the chimney stack to clean off the tiniest bit of web that had got wrapped on the spindle.

We'll be watching how you get on over the next few days!
http://www.christelow.co.uk
“It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately.”

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

It's a bit of a poor show when a spider's web stops an anemometer working. If it was something out of "The Lost World" I could understand it but it seems designers don't make much of an effort to ensure they're a bit more robust.

I've decided to write to Davis in the New Year and complain about a supposed professional instrument falling apart after 4.5 years. I don't recall other Davis owners having this problem. I don't live near the coast (30 miles inland) and the highest gust was 54mph so it hasn't exactly been battered.

I don't expect any refund or acceptance of liability from them but I just need to let them know I'm not exactly impressed with a piece of their kit.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I had to replace my anemometer after three years; I can't remember exactly what the problem was. I've replaced pretty much all of my VP2 since I got it seven years ago, with the exception of the console and the rain gauge.
Steve
jdc
Weather Station: Davis VP2 : Instromet
Operating System: Win 10

Post by jdc »

FWIW my first 'Instromet' anemometer failed after 11 years and was still mechanically OK. Second one is 7. 8-)
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:I had to replace my anemometer after three years; I can't remember exactly what the problem was. I've replaced pretty much all of my VP2 since I got it seven years ago, with the exception of the console and the rain gauge.
Steve, the conditions in Orkney are brutal compared to Cheshire. Salt air and much windier. And mine lasted just 18 months longer. That doesn't sound right to me especially when something just drops off initiating the eventual breakdown.

Can the temperature / humidity sensor be replaced and for reasonable cost?

John, that sounds more like a lifespan I would expect.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:Steve, the conditions in Orkney are brutal compared to Cheshire. Salt air and much windier.
I agree, but it's still the UK here, not Antarctica.
Can the temperature / humidity sensor be replaced
Yes, I've replaced mine twice.
and for reasonable cost?
I paid for one myself (around £150, possibly), but when that one failed after a year, I got McMurdo (UK distributor) to agree to send me a replacement for free.
Steve
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

RayProudfoot wrote:Can the temperature / humidity sensor be replaced and for reasonable cost?
very reasonable if you don't mind using a non-Davis part, and I have a spare one lying around. I used a different construction to Davis that is both simplier and could/should be more reliable and responsive.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I'll be talking to you, Mark, when mine (inevitably, it seems) fails again!
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:I agree, but it's still the UK here, not Antarctica.
I take your point but you could also argue the US has harsher conditions than the UK so the kit should last longer here. Not sure if Davis suggest how long they would reasonably expect their stuff to last.
I paid for one myself (around £150, possibly), but when that one failed after a year, I got McMurdo (UK distributor) to agree to send me a replacement for free.
That sounds expensive but Mark, your offer sounds a much better option. I have a thermometer / barometer in the hall that's older than me. What is it with fancy digital stuff that makes it so flakey? :(
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:I take your point but you could also argue the US has harsher conditions than the UK so the kit should last longer here.
I agree; I'm not trying to say that you should have expected yours to have failed by now - I don't think you should. I didn't expect to have had to replace as much of mine as I had to, even here.
Steve
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

steve wrote:I'll be talking to you, Mark, when mine (inevitably, it seems) fails again!
The mk II version will be better protected for your 'harsh' (salty) location, I'm waiting for some samples to build one. I'll let you know when I have built and tested one.