Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Support for Weathercloud

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
The PIT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Wireless
Operating System: Windows 7 32 bit

Cumulus Support for Weathercloud

Post by The PIT »

Looks an interesting site. Any chance of cumulus supporting it in a future release.

http://weathercloud.net/
Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire England

www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus Support for Weathercloud

Post by steve »

Perhaps one day, when they are more established, I'll consider it. I told them to stop bothering me, I get requests from new commercial web sites almost every week, I just don't have time to add them all, and most of them aren't worth adding anyway (IMO).
Steve
The PIT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Wireless
Operating System: Windows 7 32 bit

Post by The PIT »

steve wrote:Perhaps one day, when they are more established, I'll consider it. I told them to stop bothering me, I get requests from new commercial web sites almost every week, I just don't have time to add them all, and most of them aren't worth adding anyway (IMO).

You should said you'll charge them for making the extension available. May have to be Weather Display instead then.
Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire England

www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

They don't seem to publish the API fpr some reason, but I see it is just HTTP based, so no reason why you can't get Cumulus to format an appropriate http command and use cURL to send the data them if you really want to.

Example API call gleaned by a Google... (I blanked out the station name and key as presumably you could post data to that site? :roll: )

Code: Select all

http://api.weathercloud.net/set/wid/xxxxxxx/key/xxxxxxxxxxxxx/temp/210/tempin/233/chill/214/heat/247/hum/33/humin/29/wspd/30/wspdhi/30/wspdavg/21/wdir/271/wdiravg/256/bar/10175/rain/0/solarrad/1630/uvi/ 5/ver/1.2/type/201
The unknowns would be the units for wind and the ver/type codes at the end.
_vortex_
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Mac OS X

Post by _vortex_ »

I too would like Cumulus to support this network, I think it looks pretty cool and they keep improving it with new features (webcam, notifications, integration with Twitter...). I understand, though, that you may have other priorities in your busy schedule ;)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I'll look into adding it to the new version of Cumulus, when that's ready - you can test it on your Mac ;)
Steve
_vortex_

Post by _vortex_ »

Glad to hear that Steve! :D
Adrian Hudson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Adrian Hudson »

Hi Steve,

Just to let you know I would be interested in a link from Cumulus to Weathercloud as well.

Regards,
Adrian
M1DUL
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2 Plus Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Version

Post by M1DUL »

Hi Steve,

Just to let you know I would be interested in a link from Cumulus to Weathercloud as well I have just received a Email from them today, It looks very good.

Regards,
Michael
Mike

Weather Station : Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus Daytime Far's
Cumulus MX v.3.28.6 build 3283
https://branksomeweather.co.uk/index.htm
_vortex_

Post by _vortex_ »

They have added a new feature to post weather data to Twitter automatically, it looks pretty cool IMO: http://blog.weathercloud.net/?p=537
rhussey
Weather Station: WMR200
Operating System: XP SP3

Post by rhussey »

Looks like they got hold of weather undergrounds email list and sent a mass email out to users to join. I won't until there is a cumulus link. But it does look pretty cool.
aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Post by aznetcowboy »

rhussey wrote:Looks like they got hold of weather undergrounds email list and sent a mass email out to users to join. I won't until there is a cumulus link. But it does look pretty cool.
You are correct. I could not find a Cumulus link. They have a weatherlink link which for us using Cumulus makes it useless.
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
_vortex_

Post by _vortex_ »

I use Wunderground and received no email.

On their FAQs there's a compatibility table: http://weathercloud.net/info/faq
_vortex_

Post by _vortex_ »

They keep adding more and more weather station programs (now Weathercat and Weewx), but when Cumulus? :cry:
Adrian Hudson
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Adrian Hudson »

I have knocked up a little program to post data to Weathercloud. I am currently testing it.

It reads realtime.txt either via http requests from a web site or directly from realtime.txt in the cumulus folder - it uses the data from realtime.txt as its data source. It needs to run on a Windows machine - probably the one you run Cumulus on (though it doesn't need to be).

Using the direct access method of reading realtime.txt potentially could cause problems with Cumulus trying to write realtime.txt at the time this program is reading it - I keep the time the program is accessing the file to the minimum but it WILL clash at some point. Cumulus doesn't seem to have problems with this - it just ignores the issue - so realtime.txt might occasionally not be updated. For this reason it is preferable to use the http mechanism to access realtime.txt.

Weathercloud is somewhat basic at the moment. They are adding features as they can but many observation types are not implemented yet. They have not actually implemented date and time stamps yet, so readings are stamped with the date/time that you send them. This precludes any sort of "catch up" system. Additionally, data can only be sent at 10 minute (or longer) intervals. If you try to send more frequently that that the data is rejected.

I will be happy to make the program available to you should you be interested. I can only do this once I have completed my initial tests and Weathercloud have completed their checks. Also, note that support will be on best efforts only basis and should Steve add this functionality to Cumulus I will assume this program to be defunct and cease support.

I am testing the program with my own weather station and Cumulus. I don't want to go messing with my units settings - this means that other units settings will not have been tested. I use Centigrade, hPa, millimetres and km/h. If you don't use these settings then you will be testing the program. It wan't damage any of your Cumulus data but the data you send to Weathercloud might be wrong - until you report this and I fix the program.

Drop me a reply if anyone is interested.