Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

What screen resolution does your Cumulus PC use?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.

What screen resolution does your Cumulus PC use?

800 x 600
3%
1024 x 768
20%
1152 x 864
1%
1280 x 800
4%
1280 x 1024
18%
1440 x 900
8%
1600 x 1200
2%
1680 x 1050
12%
1920 x 1200
14%
Other
17%

Total votes: 473

Ken22
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR968
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Re: What screen resolution does your Cumulus PC use?

Post by Ken22 »

I use 1280 x 800 at 125%. This causes problems in Cumulus.
jandrew
Weather Station: WH1090
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by jandrew »

I'm thinking of saying good-bye to my aging Dell Laptop which runs Windows XP and replacing it with a second-hand Samsung Netbook running Windows 7.

The Dell has a resolution of 1024*768 but the Samsung will be only 1024*600.

I run the Dell at the back of the room for Cumulus only - the Samsung will do the same.

The Cumulus main window is 990*720 which fits nicely on the Dell.

However, the Samsung will not have enough vertical space and I am trying to guess what will happen - or what I can do about it.

The Queries are :
  • Will the Cumulus window adjust itself to fit?
    Will I lose the lowest 120 pixels?
    If I lose pixels will the vertical scroll bar appear?
    Can I REDUCE the dpi? (A quick check on my main desk-top appears to allow only increases in dpi).
Any help will be much appreciated.
jandrew

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

It will attempt to resize the main screen and its contents to fit. The result is unlikely to be perfect, it's a best effort. The other windows will not resize; you may lose part of them.
Steve
Red Raspberry
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2

Post by Red Raspberry »

1680 x 1050 at 125% on a 23" screen. The main window fits fine. The dayfile.txt column text does not fit in the cell. Can't really tell what column is what. This I use for rainfall data entry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Sorry perhaps I am just being thick but you have the headings at the top of the window and a scroll bar at the bottom so if you just scroll right you will see all data with headings?
David
Red Raspberry

Post by Red Raspberry »

water01 wrote:Sorry perhaps I am just being thick but you have the headings at the top of the window and a scroll bar at the bottom so if you just scroll right you will see all data with headings?

No scrolling does not do anything for the data headings, it just moves you on to more columns. The data heading space is two lines thick but does not word wrap. And you cannot expand the columns vertically to make more space.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Cumulus, like many other applications, doesn't handle DPI changes well; as it says in the readme.txt, if you use a DPI setting other than 100%, you may lose some text. The editor grid is a third-party component; it's possible that there's a setting or something that I can adjust. If I get the time at some point, I'll look into it.

Note that you can disable the DPI scaling for a particular application using the Windows compatibility settings. I haven't tried this so I don't know how well it works.
Steve
Red Raspberry

Post by Red Raspberry »

I reduced the screen resolution to 1440x900 and set the DPI to 100%. This allows the header text to wrap into the two rows at the top.
martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

Post by martinu »

I use 1920x1080, the native resolution of my iiyama 24" monitor. However I don't usually run Cumulus or other apps full-screen: I often have two or more apps open at the same time, each one occupying part of the screen.
WxLee
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2/Vue
Operating System: Windows 7x64 SP1

Post by WxLee »

On one of a triple 1280 x 1024 display setup.

Thinking about why you would ask this, (a clue is that you asked for the smallest resolution if people run it on multiple PCs) am I right in thinking this might be a good place to request that you make the Cumulus program window "resizable" like most program windows? I'd really like to maximize it, but I can't. If you could do that, wouldn't it be less a problem for people then running it on any resolution?

When I try to maximize it the window gets a little larger, but still does not fully fill the screen.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

WxLee wrote:Thinking about why you would ask this, (a clue is that you asked for the smallest resolution if people run it on multiple PCs) am I right in thinking this might be a good place to request that you make the Cumulus program window "resizable" like most program windows? I'd really like to maximize it, but I can't. If you could do that, wouldn't it be less a problem for people then running it on any resolution?
I can't do that to the current version, it's far too hard to do now, but the new version of Cumulus that I'm working on has a UI which runs in a browser and adapts to the browser window size.
Steve
WxLee
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2/Vue
Operating System: Windows 7x64 SP1

Post by WxLee »

steve wrote:
WxLee wrote:Thinking about why you would ask this, (a clue is that you asked for the smallest resolution if people run it on multiple PCs) am I right in thinking this might be a good place to request that you make the Cumulus program window "resizable" like most program windows? I'd really like to maximize it, but I can't. If you could do that, wouldn't it be less a problem for people then running it on any resolution?
I can't do that to the current version, it's far too hard to do now, but the new version of Cumulus that I'm working on has a UI which runs in a browser and adapts to the browser window size.
OK, thanks. I look forward to seeing it.

I just read last night about your cancellation of the Cumulus 2 project. Sorry it went that way, but I'm glad you found a way to move forward on another version release.
rstrader
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus
Operating System: Windows Server 2012 R2

Post by rstrader »

I run 3840 x 2160. I keep Cumulus in the UL corner of my screen. It looks like it occupies about 1/12 of my monitor. Do I win?
Rich Strader
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Wunderground KCOCOLOR250
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Thanks everyone, this thread is now closed.
Steve