Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lost all data after power failure

Discussion specific to Oregon Scientific weather stations
mattb
Weather Station: WMR928
Operating System: Windows XP

Lost all data after power failure

Post by mattb »

i'm running Cumulus v1.9.2 with my WMR 928, I have been running this setup successfully for many years, however I recently had a power failure on my Cumulus machine which appears to have resulted in a failure of any data to load in Cumulus.

When I open the program all I see is a zero in every field, however the WMR928 is working correctly and displaying data on the console.
Cumulus is not displaying any of the historical data either, every single field has a zero in it.

All of the Station Settings and Internet settings are correct, they never changed.

I have attached my current dayfile.txt if that is of any help to anyone.

I realise that I have lost the data from the last few days, but am hoping that I haven't lost everything from the previous years.

Thankyou for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Regards

Matt
http://www.onkhillsweather.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
South Australia live weather
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Lost all data after power failure

Post by water01 »

I don't quite know how but that dayfile.txt is totally out of order, all the dates are mixed up. Did you put into a spread sheet and sort it using something other than the date?

All the data seems to be there it is just out of order. I will leave it to Steve to suggest how you sort that one out !!
David
mattb

Post by mattb »

I haven't done anything to it, I think it must have become corrupted whent the power failed.

I wonder why I am not seeing any current observations on the screen though ?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

There used to be a bug in the dayfile.txt editor which caused incorrect sorting, that was fixed some time ago. You're using a very old version of Cumulus which I can no longer support. But if you zip up the diags folder and attach it to a reply, I'll take a look.
Steve
mattb

Post by mattb »

Thanks for the help Steve, it is greatly appreciated.

I will attach the zip to this message.

Once I get this sorted out I will definitely be updating to the latest version of Cumulus.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It doesn't appear to be receiving any data from the station. Perhaps the power failure caused a problem with the console or the COM port.

If you turn on the debug log for a few minutes (delete any existing debug.log file in the Cumulus folder first), it will show what if anything is being received.

Note that having Cumulus installed under Program Files can cause problems, even on XP.
Steve
mattb

Post by mattb »

Thanks Steve, your post prompted me to check the com port cable and sure enough somehow it had popped out of the socket, It's always the simple things isn't it !

Now that we are seeing data back in Cumulus I do still have a problem with an inaccurate rainfall amount being displayed. According to the software we had 606.2 mm of rain today, It has been wet, but not quite that wet here :)

I'm guessing this is due to the corrupt dayfile.txt ? Should I just go in and manually enter the correct rainfall amounts for the last week and try and get it all to match up correctly ? If that is all I have to do then I will be happy.

I'll attach the latest dayfile, now that it has data for today on it.

Thanks again.

Matt
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The incorrect rain for today is because of the break in the data. I can't remember what 1.9.2 did, but it sounds like it's used the total counter for today. But in any case, a lengthy period with no data, particularly with a station without a logger, is going to cause a number of issues.

You'll need to correct dayfile.txt to get the monthly and annual totals correct. There is also information in the FAQ about correcting rain totals.
Steve
mattb

Post by mattb »

Thanks again for your help Steve, I'll now update to the latest version and make sure all my connectors are properly secured.