Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vantage Vue to MySQL

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
oborden2
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 8

Vantage Vue to MySQL

Post by oborden2 »

Hello,

I'm a student employee at a small college in Maryland. I'm tasked with taking the data from a Vantage Vue and storing it in a MySQL database. I ditched the WeatherLink software almost immediately and switched to Cumulus. We now have 3 Vue's and 1 VP2 at various locations. I have Cumulus upload realtime.txt to our server and then run a CRON job to parse realtime.txt and store the values in my database. However every single station gets stuck after a day or two of collecting data and just reports the same exact data over and over again. Cumulus only reports that there was an FTP error.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

My boss is losing his patience and I'm about to revert back to WeatherLink and screen-scrap from its template generated HTM files to get the data. I'm desperate here I really need a solution and I'm just not sure what the problem is. The one thing all the stations have in common is Cumulus, so I assumed this was the problem and suggested we move to WeatherBridge but my boss refuses to spend any more money on this and I can't say I blame him. I'm stuck with the standard Davis hardware.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Vantage Vue to MySQL

Post by steve »

Please turn on ftp logging, and after the problem occurs, zip up the realtimeftplog.txt file and attach it here. If it takes a while for the problem to occur, the file may get very large, so you can delete it from time to time.
Steve
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

oborden2 wrote:However every single station gets stuck after a day or two of collecting data and just reports the same exact data over and over again.
Just to clarify, do you mean that the console is displaying the same data over and over again, or the Cumulus display is, or just that the ftp upload stops, so your script gets the same data over and over again?
Steve
oborden2
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by oborden2 »

Steve, sorry it took so long to reply I'm just now getting a chance to look at it. When I came in Cumulus had generated a bug report. I've attached it.

As far as I can tell the console screen itself was not locked up. Cumulus reported being unable to communicate with the station. The Davis Network Information Utility could not communicate with the station either (it's WeatherLinkIP). I unplugged the Ethernet cord from the data logger. Cumulus still couldn't communicate with the station and the network utility couldn't communicate with the console either. I then removed the power from the console itself. Upon plugging it back into the power source both Cumulus and the network utility established a connection with the console.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It was using a huge amount of memory - 1.84 GB, and was unable to allocate any more. I have no idea why that might be, on my system it uses about 40 MB. Perhaps there is a memory leak in the Davis DLL when it can't communicate with the logger. The fact that you had to reset it suggests that the problem lies with the logger rather than Cumulus, does it not? But in any case, that crash was on the 8th January, not today.

You're using an old version of Cumulus which is no longer supported. The first thing to try would be to install the latest version. If that doesn't help, zip up the diags folder and attach it, and I'll take a look.
Steve
TerryMulhern
Weather Station: WS2300

Post by TerryMulhern »

Hello,
Is it better to use weewx for this purpose? Or should I download the Davis VP2 Serial Communications Protocol PDF for WeatherLink? I thought I could write my own parser to extract and store the data in the MySQL database. But it will take too much time and efforts I guess.

Terry
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Holy thread resurrection! This is a very old thread.

Storing data in a MySQL database is a native function of Cumulus MX that lots of people use - including myself.