Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New Funnel for Fine Offset

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Richard Horton
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 8.1

New Funnel for Fine Offset

Post by Richard Horton »

After my last funnel gave up the ghost, I thought an engineering solution might be the answer, and as a picture paints a thousand word....
1RH_0272(1).jpg
1RH_0275 (2).jpg
1RH_0277 (1).jpg
Hopefully the material will be UV stable.... or the next plan is to make one out of aluminium, or perhaps do away with the original collector all together
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard

If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough.

www.martin-weather.co.uk
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: New Funnel for Fine Offset

Post by mcrossley »

Delrin? That's a sizeable chunk of whatever it is anyway!
Richard Horton
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by Richard Horton »

mcrossley wrote:Delrin? That's a sizeable chunk of whatever it is anyway!
Acetyl Co-polymer and yes quite a chunk, next issue will be how to mount it, oh and try and remember how to work the fudge factor out.
Richard

If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough.

www.martin-weather.co.uk
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Richard Horton wrote:Acetyl Co-polymer and yes quite a chunk, next issue will be how to mount it, oh and try and remember how to work the fudge factor out.
I had to look up the difference. Did/could you not turn it to a diameter that came out as a nice round conversion factor? Second thoughts, that relies on the accuracy of the original FO part.

What I may do (if I had the time/skills/tools) is calibrate it as-is, work out what the diameter should be for a nice round conversion factor, and turn the rim down to that size.
Last edited by mcrossley on Thu 20 Feb 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmcp42
Weather Station: own build
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by mmcp42 »

do you intend to polish the inside?
I wonder if the non-smooth surface would impede the flow of water significantly?
weather station here: http://www.mmcpix.com/wx.html
hills
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH1091
Operating System: Raspbian Buster

Post by hills »

mmcp42 wrote:do you intend to polish the inside?
I wonder if the non-smooth surface would impede the flow of water significantly?
I was just about to say the same thing. I use a standard funnel about the same size and I've polished the inside with marine fibreglass polish to encourage the water to flow straight into the sensor. It really does make a difference as about ".3mm" used to stick to the sides.

I found it best to work out roughly how much bigger it is to the original and then use that, but then calibrate it with a good quality manual rain gauge mounted nearby. I went from .32 to .36 before it matched exactly. Also bear in mind, from memory, the calibration will affect all rain values collected so far.

Also would it be possible to make the rebate at the bottom large enough to completely sit over the original. That way I think it would be much more stable.

Great work!! :clap: