Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Another rain reading problem

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Meteosat
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 sp2 64bit

Another rain reading problem

Post by Meteosat »

I wonder if you guys would forgive the intrusion of an off-topic issue. It's not Cumulus - just Davis and my Vantage Vue.
The Weather shop is closed until next week (I am in the UK) and I am really wanting to get my rain recording back ASAP.

A few days ago I noticed rainfall was not being noted in the console. All other readings were and were correct. So I did the following:
1. Went through the console setup - no joy.
2. Took the tipping spoon assembly out - no sign of any debris or spiders, and nothing in the collector or in the debris filter.
3. Passed water manually through the collector to check I could hear the tipping movement, which I could.
4. Checked magnet was still viable.

Still nothing showing in the console.

I am not sure how the small unit conveys its actions to the main ISS processor, part from seeing a small stub at one end.

I have sent an e-mail to the shop, but as I say, it will be another week or so before I can hope for a response, and obviously longer for sorting out the problem.

SO apologies to Steve and others, but just wondered if anyone had any other solution, or as in some of the other forums had actually taken the unit apart and discovered the interior?

We have had some high winds and heavy rain as shown on the graphs on my web page, but as all other functions are correct, not sure what may have happened.

http://www.meteosat.co.uk/Porthcawl
Cheers
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Another rain reading problem

Post by steve »

One simple thing you could try if you have a multimeter is to check the resistance across the rain gauge reed switch (using the contacts on the plug). It should go briefly from open to short circuit as the mechanism tips, and you should be able to hold the mechanism in the middle position to keep the reed switch closed and hence show short circuit.

That would at least tell you whether the problem is the reed switch.
Steve
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Thank you for that Steve,
Perhaps what you describe is in the Pro? All I have is a magnet which falls onto a plastic rim, underneath is what looks like a screw head, the top of which is then enclosed in a plastic cap.

There are no electrical connections, which makes me wonder if there might be a fault with the ISS - in picking up the magnet response?

PS Have now seen a trace mentioned on the console after taking the unit down to check re your details.

Cheers and many thanks for being so tolerant!

And a happy new year to you!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Meteosat wrote:Perhaps what you describe is in the Pro?
Ah yes - sorry. I always see 'Davis' and assume 'VP2'. I forget that the Vue is somewhat different.
Steve
ayde_bury
Weather Station: Davis VPro2 plus 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 2008 Server / Mac OSX

Post by ayde_bury »

Hopefully I can shed some light on this for you.

The Vue tipping bucket has a 8mm round magnet attached to it which passes a reed switch mounted in the green PCB just visible inside. This is pretty much encased in a rubberised waterproof membrane so is going to be pretty much impossible to test the reed switch without disassembling the station - which is a bit daunting, but not impossible.

Unlike the VP / VP2 the Vue ISS has three small PCBs. One for wind/humidity/temperature, one for wireless comms and the third concerned with the rain reed switch and also battery. If this one is at fault, then a replacement is available for £36 plus appropriate postage.

Hopefully that gives you some idea as to where to start looking.
Weather Spares - your one stop shop for complete stations and spare parts.
http://www.weatherspares.co.uk/
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Many thanks
I looked at a rain pcb unit online, so I am now leaning towards that area as the problem one.
If you have come across any disassembly instructions I would be glad to know ;-)
Cheers
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Ping John Dann!
I see you mention an informal 2 year warranty in another thread.
I filled in an online report form about a week ago regarding a failed ain sensor (after just 15-16 months) - but as yet no reply. Just wondering if The Weathershop is likely to reply? At the moment I have a very expensive piece of junk!

Cheers
Meteosat

Post by Meteosat »

Just to update and conclude this thread.
I got in touch with Davis UK service department and we agreed that it was probably a premature failure of the rain reed switch. As I am computer savvy they agreed to send me some replacement kit which I have now fitted and am pleased to report that the station is now reporting correctly.
All the parts were compound covered to prevent moisture problems, hence the need for an almost complete new electronic replacement kit.
My thanks to Davis for their speedy help - about a week between reporting the fault and receiving the new parts.
Cheers