Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Graph Idea

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
Toming
Weather Station: Lascosse ws-2310-11wtc
Operating System: win7 ultimate

Graph Idea

Post by Toming »

Maybe a graph tracking the relative difference in temp and dew point? Because we all know what happens when...water just come out of the air...[This is not an advertisement for Island Sky Water.]
Seriously, how come no weather stations indicate this value or alarm? :geek:
I forgot/forget, remember?
Government should mandate with science, until the science colloquialises
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Graph Idea

Post by steve »

Most/all of them supply relative humidity, from which the dew point temperature is/can be calculated. Does a graph of dew point depression (difference between dp and temp) not look very similar to an inverted relative humidity graph? High DPD implies low RH, and vice versa.
Steve
Toming

Post by Toming »

I do not know. I was a air controller in the Navy and use to figure dew point for the helo pilots, it was integral.[with a wet bulb]
I guess the relative humidity would increase to 100% as the dew point approaches the ambient temperature. I was always under the impression that relative humidity was figured with rain.[which dew point is not directly related. :geek: edit=how does the relative humidity effect the dew point?[wet bulb]
I am trying to track the four corners of a triangle...thanks...bye now.
DaveNZ
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Post by DaveNZ »

steve wrote:Most/all of them supply relative humidity, from which the dew point temperature is/can be calculated. Does a graph of dew point depression (difference between dp and temp) not look very similar to an inverted relative humidity graph? High DPD implies low RH, and vice versa.
Yep it does, although the fluctuations in dewpoint become greater as the humidity becomes lower (a logarithm relationship), so it is not an exact match to an inverted humidity plot.
Toming

Post by Toming »

If I read right, the variance in precice dewpoint gets greater as the humidity increases? I think that to allow for the passage of water from air that variance would have to be small, precice/stable for a time..., so when the variance is high, it stays in the air....clouds... it rains instead? So periods of not having reaced dew point[effectively]could figure in to precipitation prediction? :o

how do I get the data from cumulus to LibreOffice? :|
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Toming wrote:how do I get the data from cumulus to LibreOffice? :|
The log files are in CSV format; presumably LibreOffice, like Excel, can read those directly?
Steve
Toming

Post by Toming »

:mrgreen: thank you :lol:
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

The donation suggested freeware software Libre Office (and Apache Open Office) can certainly read CSV files, when first opening such a file it displays a screen where you select one or more characters that are used for separating the fields and you see how that causes your data to be split by columns.
If you edit the file, and want it to be still accepted by Cumulus, then remember to use 'Save as...', next select 'Text CSV' as type and finally select 'Edit filter settings' before you click 'Save' becaue that will let you select the field separation character for the output file. If you find your saved file has the extension .csv, then you can safely rename that to .txt.
Toming

Post by Toming »

Thanks, I found it, I remember when Open Office changed to Libre Office, seems to work a little easier to me. Definitely easier than Excel. In school I preferred Word Perfect . I only have a small amount of data right now, I will try to save some and combine with my EKM metering/ Cumulus/ Morningstar TS-45 in some time.
Did you know saving data is stressfull? I managed to imitate the performance of my Citibank Visa in school with Lotus 123...Gw basic, Packard bell 286, windows 3.1
thanks a bunch.