Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cum. 1.9.4 b1084 going down

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
kapo
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Cum. 1.9.4 b1084 going down

Post by kapo »

Hi
My Cumulus 1.9.4 b1084 has started lose the connection to my weatherstation Davis VP2 every now and then. At the beginning of this did not happen very often, but in this week it shows to happen every day. I took couple print screens about that. There is something what makes me wonder: Cumulus shows error, that connection has lost, but the realtime.txt still update!! What is wrong? Three pics and Cumulus 009.txt attached....

With regards:

-kapo-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cum. 1.9.4 b1084 going down

Post by steve »

The realtime.txt file continues to update even if the connection to the station is lost. As for why the connection is being lost, I'm afraid I can't help with that, the Davis code reports the problem and Cumulus passes it on, that's the only information it has. See the last post in this thread for what someone else has been trying to see if they can fix the problems with the connection to their Davis station: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=15
Steve
kapo

Post by kapo »

O.k. And thanks for quick answer. Is it possible to change to the "older" Cumulus version? Because I think that Cum. worked better before this latest update. It is possible that I remember wrong in that, but I just want to test that. And it is only those Cum. updates that have "changed" in my system in past ~5 months. And because of that, I wonder how it could be something wrong in PC and Davis connection...... I just want to test that....... Is it so that I have to remove whole Cum. before installing for example past version of Cum. beta? If it is so, then it sould be too big project to test my memory :)

-kapo-
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You should be able to install 1.9.3 over 1.9.4, but it's not something I've tested myself. Installing a previous beta (if you still have a copy) is not recommended, but should probably also work. Note that it's the Davis DLL which handles the connection to the console (and reports the problem), and that is the same DLL in 1.9.3 and 1.9.4. Note also that people using Cumulus 1.9.3, and people using other software, also experience disconnect problems with USB loggers for various reasons; see this recent thread, for example: https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10680. Note also that most people using Cumulus 1.9.4 do not have disconnection problems.

The only change that I've done in 1.9.4 that affects the reading of the data from the console was in build 1073 on May 10th. This added a call to load the high/low data from the console (via the Davis DLL as usual) once a minute, so that peak gusts weren't missed. It is hard to see how that change could cause disconnects to happen. It's hard to see how any change to Cumulus could cause the frequency of disconnects to gradually increase, in the way you've described. If it was that change which caused the problem to start appearing, then it would have appeared immediately and not got worse over time.
Steve
kapo

Post by kapo »

Good morning Steve

Do not take it personally, I do not blame anyone or anything, I just want to check this one possible source of interference.It is very likely that the problem is between PC and the console from Davis, but I want to inspect this problem by closing off every one of the possible cause of fault at a time. Only thing is that this connection between PC and console have started to disconnect and I have to find out the cause of the fault. And if I must to do this by myself, I have to start somwhere and that somwhere in this case is that beta version test. If this problem persists after all possible causes of failure experimenting, I do not really know what to do then. But the need to think about these possibilities is after the all things I know. As such, I do not want this to continue because this Cumulus has worked really fine till these problems. And I cannot use any other weather programs, and I dont want to study other programs.....

Best regards:
-kapo-
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

kapo wrote:Do not take it personally
Please be clear: I never take anything here personally, unless someone is being rude, which doesn't happen very often, and the main people responsible for that in the past don't post here any more, fortunately. I usually respond logically, as I have done in this case. I have simply given you the information which shows that logically, in this case, Cumulus is the least likely cause of the problem. I fully appreciate, however, that it is much easier to start with the least likely cause in this case than the other solutions which have been offered and found to work for other people, so that's the approach that many people would take. You may even find that installing a different version of Cumulus does indeed make the problem disappear.
Steve
kapo

Post by kapo »

O.k. And thanks

-kapo-