Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Windows 7 Taskbar Notification Area Icons ...

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Windows 7 Taskbar Notification Area Icons ...

Post by odintheterrible »

I wonder if anyone with a bit of Knowledge on Windows 7 can assist ???

As of a couple of weeks ago, the Cumulus Icon no longer appears in the Windows 7 Tray area when the program is running.

I've tried 'customizing' what icons appear on the taskbar ...

... but even after selecting, "Show Icon and notifications" for cumulus.exe in the list, the icon steadfastly refuses to appear ...

Any suggestions as to how to solve this are most welcome. Thanks :-)
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Windows 7 Taskbar Notification Area Icons ...

Post by steve »

I wouldn't expect it to appear in the tray unless you have 'minimise to tray' selected and it's actually minimised. If it doesn't appear in the tray in that situation, I don't know what the problem is and it's unlikely that I can change anything in Cumulus to fix it. A with most Windows operations, Cumulus just tells the underlying code what to do. I don't think that setting you've shown turns the icon on or off, it just determines whether you see the icon all the time when it's supposed be there, or whether you have to click the little arrow to see it.
Steve
odintheterrible

Hi,
I wasn't asking you to change any code ... I was simply curious as to why it used to display in the task bar then for no apparent reason it now won't show.
When I was trying to get it to work again last night, I did get an error which said that the icon was no longer available ... so who knows; I guess it's just another one of those MS mysteries.

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

If the icon isn't appearing in the tray when you minimise it, does it still appear on the task bar instead? If not, what do you have to do to restore the main window, if there is no icon anywhere?

You could perhaps try unsetting 'minimise to tray', then closing Cumulus down and restarting it, and then setting 'minimise to tray' again, to see if that starts it working again.
Steve
odintheterrible

Hi,
Thanks for the response.
Well, that's part of the trouble ... once Cumulus has started, there's no way to access the program. I have to go to the task manager, then kill the cumulus.exe and reboot. However, when it's running, my web page which I've setup reads/receives the data updates etc and updates itself, so the program is actually running and working OK ... apart from the fact that the icon is totally missing so I have no direct access to it :-(
It's all very odd !

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

So you have both 'start minimised' and 'minimised to tray' set? You could edit cumulus.ini (with Cumulus stopped) to unset them both, and then take it from there. Perhaps it's the 'start minimised' setting which is causing the problem.
Steve
odintheterrible

Thanks for the input, but ... I doubt it ... 'cos as I was just reading your post, the icon reappeared in the try as if by magic !
BIZARRE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!