Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

What are the best weather stations

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

What are the best weather stations

Post by aznetcowboy »

I know everyone probably has an opinion, but I thought I'd ask anyway. Currently I have a Ambient WH2080 weather station. I have been having lots of problems with it lately. The temperature readings seem to be way too high of low compared to other station in my area, say within 5 miles and there are many. I expect some difference, but +5 to -7 seems extreme. I have the unit set on the east side of the house when it is protected from direct sunlight during the morning by bushes and other desert plants. In the afternoon and evening the overhang from the house shades it. It is still exposed to air movement so it is in what I think are more normal conditions.

Then there are the constant losing communications where the sensor and weather station are only10 feet (tops) from each other.

I am considering replacing this unit, but would like opinions as to what ones are good, especially in a hot, dry desert climate. Also, not too expensive. If I were to spend $500 on one, my obit would be the next thing you'd be reading. :o

I just looking for opinions and then in a couple weeks (months?) I will get a new one that will work with Cumulus.

Thanks! :D
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: What are the best weather stations

Post by RayProudfoot »

I'm sure others will agree that Davis make some of the best weather stations available for the keen amateur. I've had my VP2 wireless for over 4 years and the station has performed superbly including the wireless signal.

Over in the US you will pay considerably less than we do in the UK for the Davis stations. You should be able to buy a Vantage Vue for your budget and maybe even a VP2.

They're not cheap but their performance is excellent and they just work day after day, month after month and year after year. Think of them as an investment, not an ordinary purchase. And this is from a Brit! :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Touchtone
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & FARS
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1

Post by Touchtone »

You could certainly look at the Davis Vantage Vue as it may suit your budget. Davis do have a very good name & seem to give accurate information. I have graduated up from a cheaper weather station to a Davis Vantage Pro2 & I am more than happy with it.
WestOz
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR88A
Operating System: Windows 10 (64bit)

Post by WestOz »

on the Indian Ocean coast of Western Australia (down the bottom left-hand corner of Oz)
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Good link and interesting.
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

Ian,

This is a great link. It will take some time to go through, but it will be very worth while! ;)

Tom
Tom Wills
Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Post by Buford T. Justice »

Have you tried the improved radiation shield?

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html

Some folks have made their own. That may be a project for me later this year or I'll just order this one.

Even though you see the sensor in the shade, it may be picking up heat from other sources.
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

Buford T. Justice wrote:Have you tried the improved radiation shield?

http://www.ambientweather.com/amwesrpatean.html

Some folks have made their own. That may be a project for me later this year or I'll just order this one.

Even though you see the sensor in the shade, it may be picking up heat from other sources.

I keep it in a shady area because in the areas where the sun hits it for a long, or even a short time the temperatures be recorded are crazy. What the real temperature is around 107, the humidity is like 4% or 5%, a clear sky and no breeze or almost no wind, you just can't get an accurate reading even with an advanced shield. The Arizona sun is really brutal at this time of year. I have the solar shield on my sensor even though it is in the shade because in the early hours of the morning the sun still hits it. My wife has a digital thermometer that she moves around at will. A few times she left it in an area where it gets hit by the sun. It is a bit shocking to see a temperature of 124.6 at 7:30 in the morning. That's why I try for a shaded part of the yard. I don't trust any readings when the sensor sits all day in direct sunlight in southern Arizona, not even the one that is the official NWS sensor at the airport. :roll:

I think a good solar shade would be on that is at lest several inches away from the sensor with good ventilation. Although I am not sure how you could get good ventilation when there is no breeze. :?:
Tom Wills
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

aznetcowboy wrote: I am not sure how you could get good ventilation when there is no breeze. :?:
Hi,

A "Solar-Powered Aspirator" (fan) ? ;)

Cheers, Alan.
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

AllyCat wrote:
aznetcowboy wrote: I am not sure how you could get good ventilation when there is no breeze. :?:
Hi,

A "Solar-Powered Aspirator" (fan) ? ;)

Cheers, Alan.
Alan,

Just to let you know, I did get the VP2 with the Solar-Powered Aspirated fan. It is great. It has been running for almost a year now and the temperatures are very accurate even when the sun is direct and the temperatures are approaching 110. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom
Tom Wills