Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus and wine/linux?

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
birdman

Cumulus and wine/linux?

Post by birdman »

Hello,

I use Cumulus connected to my xp laptop, and have the web update connect to my Ubuntu webserver. I would like to have my station updating to the web all day ( at present only updates in the evening ) Is it possible to connect the base station directly to the Ubuntu system and run Cumulus under Wine?

Not sure if anyone has tried?? If not I will probably have to use VMware or Virtualbox.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus and wine/linux?

Post by steve »

I think it's unlikely that anyone has tried. I really couldn't say whether it would work or not.

I've often considered porting Cumulus to Linux, using Lazarus/Freepascal. But there's quite a bit of Win32 specific code in there (like the USB stuff), and the use of the VantagePro DLL for Davis stations, so there would be quite a bit of work involved, and I'm not sure how many people would be interested. If I understand Lazarus/Freepascal properly, this would also mean a Mac version could be done, with no more work than doing a Linux version.

So, while I'd find it interesting, it would take up a lot of my time that I'm trying to find to make progress on Cumulus 2 :(

Steve
birdman

Post by birdman »

Let me be the guinea pig I will try Wine tonight.

Cheers
birdman

Post by birdman »

OK, Cumulus works fine under Wine, but as far as I can see Wine does not support USB :-(

Oh well.... VMware it is.

Cheers
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I have investigated this as my favourite OS is Ubuntu Linux. There is a problem with USB support in Wine and I believe they are working on it but I haven't checked lately.

I have sorted out another way of using Cumulus with a Linux host and that is to use a Virtual Machine - in my case VirtualBox by Sun. I have installed VirtualBox in Ubuntu (current version 9.04) and Windows XP within that. Then once running XP, I installed Cumulus and ran that. There are extra things to install and set up to get USB support working but the Ubuntu Forums pointed me to a tutorial on VB written by a member. Having previously failed to get USB working, I followed the tutorial closely and succeeded. I have a couple of small things to sort out but basically I have Cumulus reading my weather station data and uploading to my weather website while hosted by Ubuntu. This means I can run Linux applications at the same time as Cumulus and other Windows software all on the same machine.

Apart from my weather website, I also have a website devoted to Ubuntu with particular emphasis on beginners and I shall be adding a section on setting up VirtualBox with links to relevant information. Meanwhile, I'm happy to answer any questions on this.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
NathanF
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 7 x64

Post by NathanF »

Gina wrote:I have investigated this as my favourite OS is Ubuntu Linux. There is a problem with USB support in Wine and I believe they are working on it but I haven't checked lately.

I have sorted out another way of using Cumulus with a Linux host and that is to use a Virtual Machine - in my case VirtualBox by Sun. I have installed VirtualBox in Ubuntu (current version 9.04) and Windows XP within that. Then once running XP, I installed Cumulus and ran that. There are extra things to install and set up to get USB support working but the Ubuntu Forums pointed me to a tutorial on VB written by a member. Having previously failed to get USB working, I followed the tutorial closely and succeeded. I have a couple of small things to sort out but basically I have Cumulus reading my weather station data and uploading to my weather website while hosted by Ubuntu. This means I can run Linux applications at the same time as Cumulus and other Windows software all on the same machine.

Apart from my weather website, I also have a website devoted to Ubuntu with particular emphasis on beginners and I shall be adding a section on setting up VirtualBox with links to relevant information. Meanwhile, I'm happy to answer any questions on this.
Thanks for your writeup on this! Have you been running a setup like this on a permanent basis? I'd be curious to know how reliable it is, and what kind of a hit it is to system resources.

Cumulus is great, but I've recently become aware that my main PC costs about $110-120 per year to run 24/7. I also have a Ubuntu webserver that is on 24/7 though, so I'd love to be able to move Cumulus to it, then VNC in to use it.
birdman

Post by birdman »

I have been using Virtual box on my Ubuntu server to run XP and Cumulus for nearly 2 years, not a major problem. Although I do have to restart windows form time to time because of memory faults.
It's the only real solution at the moment I guess? There are products out there that will run on Linux, but they are not as good as Cumulus.

Maybe Cumulus will run on Ubuntu one day :-)

Birdman
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

birdman wrote:Maybe Cumulus will run on Ubuntu one day :-)
It's actually looking likelier now than it has been in the past. There will be a version of Delphi (the development environment I use for Cumulus) this year which will allow cross-platform development (i.e. Windows/Linux/Mac OS) so that would certainly help. It still wouldn't be a straightforward port, though; I have no idea how much work would be involved, and how many of the third-party components I use would continue to work.
Steve
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

Well I for one would be very interested. I guess sometime in the not too distant future I will neeed to get rid of my W2K system I use today and a Linux version of Cumulus would be very interesting. Here's hoping.....

Stuart
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I'd be interested too. Although I have Linux weather software working, it's still a long way behind Cumulus in many respects - lots of development still needed. I would love to test a Linux version of Cumulus - or even Mac OS X as I have a Macbook Pro laptop.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
abyss
Weather Station: WH1081 - Maplin N96FY
Operating System: Ubuntu/Windows7 64bit + XP lap.

Post by abyss »

Hi there :)

I have recently bought WH1081 and trying to connect this station under Ubuntu. As all know "old" Cumulus has problem with USB connection. Other software (GoWet..) is working under Ubuntu, but is too expensive for me as I'm just starting amatour and have ugly interface.
I hope new version of Cumulus will be available for Ubuntu platform.
Now my station is awaiting for better weather to be installed - is a horrible windy in Ireland now.
mattltm
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Xp Pro SP3

Post by mattltm »

I would also like to see a Linux version out. The only windows box in the house is now used solely for running Cumulus.

I would be willing to donate towards the development of a packaged Ubuntu version.
Matt
bmak
Weather Station: fine offset
Operating System: XP

Post by bmak »

I would also be keen on a Linux version as i'm now running cumulus on XP inside virtual box on my main Ubuntu machine.

I have no problems with it running like this yet though.
Raindance
Weather Station: Fine Offset / Signatrol
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Raindance »

It seems a long long time ago there was a flurry of interest in running Cumulus in Ubuntu but nothing seems to have evolved I have recently tried a copy in Play on Linux and it mounts very well but I am unable to get it to recognise the USB port of the Oregon Scientific WMR100 so am stuck. Question please has anyone got Columbus running on Linux in Wine using a WMR100
W2SWR
Weather Station: WH-1090
Operating System: vista

Post by W2SWR »

I Too would very much like to see Cumulus run on Ubuntu. I installed it using wine on the latest version of Kubutnu (12.10) and it still dosn't see the USB for my WH1090 :cry: