Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Negative rainfall rate

Please discuss beta versions of Cumulus 1 here. Note: There are currently no beta versions of Cumulus 1.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Negative rainfall rate

Post by freddie »

My rainfall rate was briefly negative this morning (it wasn't raining at the time) - something I've not seen before.
negative-rain-rate.JPG
Any ideas?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Negative rainfall rate

Post by steve »

For Davis stations, Cumulus gets the rain rate from the console. I could check for it being negative and use zero instead; it's not the kind of thing you would normally expect a Davis station to do.
Steve
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

Mystery solved. My ISS battery went flat at about 0615 UTC this morning. As soon as the sun hit the solar panel on the ISS about 20-25 minutes later, power was restored. This evening when the charge from the sun had drained away, the ISS lost power again, and there was a repeat of the earlier symptoms after about 10 minutes without Cumulus getting a reading from the ISS.

Temperature and humidity flat-lined during the periods of time the ISS was without power. This is anticipated, as Cumulus will continue to store the last readings it received when it loses contact with the VP (unless you restart Cumulus, of course).

I guess the negative rain rate can be attributed to the above. I have since edited my data files to remove the spurious data.
Freddie
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I was going to ask whether the other data was affected for the same period. The Davis DLL returns an 'error' value when a particular data item is unavailable, and Cumulus checks for this. It appears that the rain rate reading doesn't give the same error value. I've changed the code to check for negative values.
Steve