Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

vantage vue rain gauge stopped working ?? help!

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
cieplucha
Weather Station: vantage vue
Operating System: XP

vantage vue rain gauge stopped working ?? help!

Post by cieplucha »

my vantage vue has worked a treat for the past 3 years since buying it but i noticed a few days ago that my rain gauge on it had stopped working. i went on the roof and brought it down and had a look at it and couldnt find anything really wrong. i changed the 3v battery inside the sensor suite, cleaned up everything pressed the white button and still today after more than 30mm of rain it is still not working (reading 0mm on the console) all other weather data is working fine as always.please help..
cieplucha

Re: vantage vue rain gauge stopped working ?? help!

Post by cieplucha »

Any sujestions guys? Really hope I don't need to buy new parts or even a new station.
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

I must ask: Why are you expecting some support, any support for your Vantage Vue in a forum that was created for the support of the Cumulus weather software! :roll:

Why do you not just contact Davis Instruments Technical Support via their eMail address - this way, you would get a 'real' answer for the problems you are encountering rather than getting a lot of possible fixes from one of those 'know-it-all' forum user...

You can contact Davis Instruments Technical Support at this eMail address: 'support@davisnet.com'

To get good support from Davis Instruments make sure you supply them with as much information as possible, including all the technical information about your weather station as well as clear and precise descriptions of the problems - the more information you supply the more relative their reply you will be.
cieplucha

Post by cieplucha »

i know your right, and i do use cumulus. the reason why i asked on here is because most people on here have a sound idea about weather stations, also i bought my davis vantage vue from america, since i live in australia davis no longer want to serve help to me because i didnt buy it from here.. ( why would you buy it in australia its about $250 more expensive for the same product) ill look for the US dealership and send an email foward.
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

I have never suggested that you contact the local representative (importer) of the Davis products - the eMail address I posted in my previous message was the address of Davis Instruments Technical Support (headquartered in the San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA) - this is where the Davis Instruments weather stations are designed, built, repaired and tested - there is no better place to get information about a Davis Instruments weather station than Davis Instruments ... bar none! ;)

Oh, before my previous reply, I had looked for your location (ie: Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia ... hopefully I got it right :oops: ).

As for getting part for your Davis Instruments weather station ... the best location is (and remains) Archer Trading Post (in Gainesville, Florida, USA) (excellent service, good prices and good shipping rates).
JERRYP
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

Post by JERRYP »

Hi,
Have you tried the weather forum http://www.wxforum.net? These folks are real helpful and knowlegable when it come to Davis instruments. They are a good resource for all weather related questions.
I have had my Vantage Vue for just over 2 yrs. When the rain gauge stopped working, I found some fir tree needles stuck between the tipping spoon and the sides of the rain gauge unit. Once these were removed and the spoon tipping freely everything worked.
The manual has a troubleshooting section that may be of some help. Be sure to check out the console diagnostics screens too, this may show if the problem is with sending or receiving data from the Vue.
I also agree email or better yet if you can, call Davis support. It usually takes several days to a week to get email response. Phone support is almost immediate. I believe you said you have a a US unit, so they may offer you phone support. Their US phone number is 1-510-732-7814 (M-F 7:00-17:30 Pacific Time). Fax 1-510-670-0589.
I understand that Davis offers a complete unit refurbish for around $100 US, plus shipping. This probably isn't practical for you though.
If you need replacement parts, I have heard good things about Archer Trading, but have never used them myself.
As a last resort purchase a good backup manual rain gauge; for example, the RG202 unit. At least you won't loose your data.
Good Luck, hope it is an easy fix.
Jerry