Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

24 Hour Clock Setting

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
JERRYP
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit

24 Hour Clock Setting

Post by JERRYP »

The clock display, in the upper right corner of the main Cumulus screen, can be toggled between 12 hour and 24 hour by using the mouse. I like using the clock in the 24 hour setting; however Cumulus seems to default to the 12 hour clock even after I have set it to the 24 hour display. The clock will show the 24 hour time then at some point it will revert back to the 12 hour time. I am not sure what is triggering this change. Is there a way to make this clock display 24 hour time and not automatically revert back to the 12 hour display?
I am running Cumulus v1.9.3, build 1059. My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. I have set my computer clock to 24 hour time.
My question may have been answered in a previous post, but I could not find any reference to this.
Thank you for your help.
Jerry
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: 24 Hour Clock Setting

Post by steve »

That's very strange; the default is for the 24-hour clock, it's how I have mine set and it's never changed. I'm afraid I have no idea what might make it change to the 12-hour setting. The only way to change it is to click on the clock. It's almost as if your system is somehow generating a false click. Is it possible that you're clicking on the clock without realising?
Steve
Spider-Vice
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Spider-Vice »

Sometimes I connect my remote control application just to see that it has done the same thing, but hasn't affected logs or anything like that, it can be fixed by clicking the clock again. It's not very common though.
JERRYP

Post by JERRYP »

Thanks for the quick reply. I did some more 'poking around' based on your suggestion. Here is what I found. I run Cumulus 24/7 and keep it open on my desktop for easy viewing. The clock toggles back to 12 time with a combination of mouse and keyboard moves. Using my mouse on any running program, which overlays the Cumulus screen, seems to highlight Cumulus. By this I mean the border colors around the Cumulus screen get darker. Then if I hit either the space bar or enter key on my keyboard the clock will toggle from 24 hour time to 12 hour time, or vice versa. Once highlighted, I can unhighlight the Cumulus screen by mouse clicking anywhere else on the desktop; i.e., the border returns to a lighter shade. If the Cumulus screen isn't highlighted, then the keyboard has no effect on the clock. Once unhighlighted the only way to toggle the clock is by using the mouse and clicking directly on the clock.
This isn't a big deal, since it doesn't effect any of my data, but it is nice to find out what causes this change.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
Jerry
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

When the Cumulus window has focus, the clock itself gets focus; I hadn't actually realised this. I think it's because there aren't any other items which you can interact with, unless you have the 'current conditions' box open and give that the focus. So the enter or space key has the same effect as a mouse click on the clock.

But the Cumulus window getting focus by clicking on a window that's over the top of it is very strange, and I can't reproduce that.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

steve wrote:But the Cumulus window getting focus by clicking on a window that's over the top of it is very strange, and I can't reproduce that.
Neither can I.

I can only really see that being a problem in the Microsoft Window Manager (v. unlikely) or possibly the video driver? I'd see if you have the latest video driver installed first. If you do then try turning off the hardware acceleration (or reverting temporarily to the built-in Microsoft driver) just to check if you get the same behaviour.
JERRYP

Post by JERRYP »

I checked my video driver, it is the latest version. I was unable to change the hardware acceleration on this computer, option was greyed out (and I'm set as the administrator). Everything else on this computer seems to be working fine so my feeling is to leave well enough alone. Now that I know what is causing the issue, I can work around it.
Thanks to everybody who helped me with this.
Jerry
Robert Blodgett
Weather Station: dr tech WH1080PC
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Robert Blodgett »

I am having the same issue with the 24 hour time display reverting to 12 hours that Jerry described. It seems to happen after the monitor (not the PC) goes to sleep and is reactivated. Both my base station and PC are set for 24 hour local time. I am running the latest version of Cumulus (1.9.3) on Windows 7, 64 bit.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I suspect that whatever you are doing to wake up the monitor is being seen as an 'enter' or 'space' and hence toggling the clock, as described above. Do you perhaps use 'enter' or 'space' to wake up the monitor?
Steve
Robert Blodgett
Weather Station: dr tech WH1080PC
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Robert Blodgett »

I do, in fact, use the space bar to reactivate the monitor.
I have since avoided using the space bar, using the mouse instead, and that has resolved the problem. Thanks.
Last edited by Robert Blodgett on Sun 17 Mar 2013 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Assuming Cumulus has focus, that would do it. I tend to move my mouse or press the shift key to wake up the monitor (on any PC, not just when running Cumulus). That way you know you're not going to have any effect on anything.
Steve
JERRYP

Post by JERRYP »

Using the keyboard spacebar was what I was doing to wake up my computer. This would bring Cumulus into focus and cause the time to toggle when I hit the enter key.
I have since started waking up my computer with the mouse and making sure that Cumulus isn't 'focused' on my desktop unless I am using it. I haven't had the time problems since I started using this protocol.
Jerry