Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

ajax-dashboard.php gone odd!

Discussion of Ken True's web site templates

Moderator: saratogaWX

William Grimsley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

ajax-dashboard.php gone odd!

Post by William Grimsley »

Hi Ken,

Sorry to bother you again!

Ok, I don't know what I've done but my ajax-dashboard.php has gone all odd. It's showing tables halfway across the width and the data heads are much wider!

Sorry, but please help, I don't know what I've done! :(

William
saratogaWX
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro Plus
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Re: ajax-dashboard.php gone odd!

Post by saratogaWX »

Looks fine here with FireFox18.0.1. Try doing a shift-reload of the page to clear your browser cache.
William Grimsley

Ok, I tried doing that "Shift + F5" but that didn't work.

What I mean is the data is only 3/4 of the way across under the "Wind" data head and in the middle under the "Humidity & Barometer" data head. Strangely enough, the rest of the ajax-dashboard.php is fine!

I have attached the file "problems.jpg" onto this post as it could help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

So, un-do your last change to the ajax-dashboard.php
William Grimsley

Undo? I can't undo the change because I have been playing around with it since trying to figure it out! Oh no! :(
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

I always have an old copy to fall-back to when making changes -- it's a good lesson to learn now.

If you have a daily backup of your PC, you could restore the file from yesterday's backup, then start over with your mods.
If not, then you'll just have the pleasure of debugging why it doesn't work as expected for yourself.
William Grimsley

No, I don't have a daily backup to my PC as I don't know how to get it for free anywhere!
saratogaWX

Post by saratogaWX »

Then enjoy your excursion into solo debugging, and good luck.
William Grimsley

Ok, I've decided to replace the ajax-dashboard.php file, now I will slowly add my mods! :D

EDIT: Ok, I've done my mods and all is good again! :D
William Grimsley

Now, in the ajax-dashboard.php, I've managed to make every data field the same width so it looks nice. :D
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

No, I don't have a daily backup to my PC as I don't know how to get it for free anywhere!
According to Profile you are running Windows 7 which comes with free Windows Backup which will do all the necessary types of backups you should need.
David
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

William Grimsley wrote:Now, in the ajax-dashboard.php, I've managed to make every data field the same width so it looks nice. :D
On the contrary, the dashbord portion of the page is now too wide for the rest of the frame (as seen in the included screenshot)... :roll:
There were very good reasons why some of tables and columns did not have fixed dimensions - to compensate for other tables/columns with varying dimensions... :(

When editing a template, you should first, before starting the editing, save a backup copy of the template (I would suggest that you add the date to the template name, such as 'ajax-dashboard_2013-01-26.php'). I would even go further by suggesting that you make an additional backup copy every times you save the template (using the suggested date format, the first time the modified template is saved it should be with the name 'ajax-dashboard_2013-01-26_2.php', the second time, with the name 'ajax-dashboard_2013-01-26_3.php', and so on) as this would allow you to easily go back when not satisfied with the modifications. ;)

I know the renaming of the templates with the date format works as I have been using that concept for more than 10 years and I have recommended the concept to may users.

Another suggestion... Rather than using your online Web service provider as your testing server, you might be more at ease installing a local server (on your own computer) such as XAMPP for Windows where you will be able to modify and test the templates (to your heart's content) before uploading the final results onto your online Web service provider - thus, what will be displayed on your online Web pages will be the final product and not the test product (something very annoying for users/visitors)... ;)

As Ken hinted, you are on your own. :mrgreen:
Last edited by gemini06720 on Sun 09 Jun 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
William Grimsley

gemini06720 wrote:
William Grimsley wrote:Now, in the ajax-dashboard.php, I've managed to make every data field the same width so it looks nice. :D
On the contrary, the dashbord portion of the page is now too wide for the rest of the frame (as seen in the included screenshot)... :roll:
2013-Jan-26_19-15-56.png
There were very good reasons why some of tables and columns did not have fixed dimensions - to compensate for other tables/columns with varying dimensions... :(

When editing a template, you should first, before starting the editing, save a backup copy of the template (I would suggest that you add the date to the template name, such as 'ajax-dashboard_2013-01-26.php'). I would even go further by suggesting that you make an additional backup copy every times you save the template (using the suggested date format, the first time the modified template is saved it should be with the name 'ajax-dashboard_2013-01-26_2.php', the second time, with the name 'ajax-dashboard_2013-01-26_3.php', and so on) as this would allow you to easily go back when not satisfied with the modifications. ;)

I know the renaming of the templates with the date format works as I have been using that concept for more than 10 years and I have recommended the concept to may users.

Another suggestion... Rather than using your online Web service provider as your testing server, you might be more at ease installing a local server (on your own computer) such as XAMPP for Windows where you will be able to modify and test the templates (to your heart's content) before uploading the final results onto your online Web service provider - thus, what will be displayed on your online Web pages will be the final product and not the test product (something very annoying for users/visitors)... ;)

As Ken hinted, you are on your own. :mrgreen:
Really? I came down this morning to find the ajax-dashboard.php file a bit wider than normal, so I correct each width from

Code: Select all

width="190"
to

Code: Select all

width="180"
and the ajax-dashboard.php file looked fine again. :D