Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

No wind speed data being recorded

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
evo1966
Weather Station: WH-1081
Operating System: Vista

No wind speed data being recorded

Post by evo1966 »

Hi guys sorry if in wrong thread

I have a W8681 Weatherstation and although its blowing quite strong outdoors at the moment im not getting any wind speeds or gusts being recorded. Wondered if anyone could help with the problem?

David
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: No wind speed data being recorded

Post by AllyCat »

Hi David,

No wind readings on the Console nor in Cumulus? Has it ever given wind readings? Are all other (external) readings OK?

Most likely it's a bad cable / connection into the External Transmitter unit.

Cheers, Alan.
evo1966

Post by evo1966 »

AllyCat wrote:Hi David,

No wind readings on the Console nor in Cumulus? Has it ever given wind readings? Are all other (external) readings OK?

Most likely it's a bad cable / connection into the External Transmitter unit.

Cheers, Alan.
Hi Alan and thank you for your reply...im getting all the other data....eg temp,humidity and a few days ago a 27mph gust recorded. Ive no idea how to sort it or where to start ,very frustrating :(

sorry no reading on indoor unit or cumulus
NO0C
Weather Station: Weatherwise WS-2080
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by NO0C »

Hi evo1966,

I would start by testing the wind speed sensor with a ohmmeter across the leads after unplugging it. Spinning the cups should show a switching from 0 to infinity at a frequency equal to the speed of the cups.

Good luck.
Tim

"That makes sense to me, doesn't it?" - DUBYA
evo1966

Post by evo1966 »

NO0C wrote:Hi evo1966,

I would start by testing the wind speed sensor with a ohmmeter across the leads after unplugging it. Spinning the cups should show a switching from 0 to infinity at a frequency equal to the speed of the cups.

Good luck.
Sounds very technical that to me ........ I've only had the station 2 weeks and am really disappointed :(
dpmiller
Weather Station: WH3080
Operating System: Win XP sp3

Post by dpmiller »

unplug the sensor, and look inside the socket- check that the little gold contact springs are all hanging down equally. Then, with a fine screwdriver press gently on each of thee gold terminals in the plug. Connect and retry.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi David,

Is it displaying wind direction? If not, then a "major" connection fault is indicated (i.e. more than just a single wire/contact is affected). dpmiller's suggestion is good, the two middle wires/pins are for wind speed, the two next to them (outside of the 4 wires) carry wind direction.

If only wind speed is affected, a simple test would be to swap the wind and rain plugs on the Transmitter. Then, a small amount of rotation of the anemometer should indicate lots of rain (0.3mm per half rotation) and pouring water into the rain gauge should indicate a small gust or some average windspeed (each 48 seconds). BEWARE: This test will of course upset your logs which may need some editing or deletion in Cumulus. Probably best to run and close down Cumulus just before the test and clear/reset the Console afterwards.

Cheers, Alan.
evo1966

Post by evo1966 »

dpmiller wrote:unplug the sensor, and look inside the socket- check that the little gold contact springs are all hanging down equally. Then, with a fine screwdriver press gently on each of thee gold terminals in the plug. Connect and retry.
Really appreciate your input and will try today when it gets light.........wind direction does display by the way.
evo1966

Post by evo1966 »

AllyCat wrote:Hi David,

Is it displaying wind direction? If not, then a "major" connection fault is indicated (i.e. more than just a single wire/contact is affected). dpmiller's suggestion is good, the two middle wires/pins are for wind speed, the two next to them (outside of the 4 wires) carry wind direction.

If only wind speed is affected, a simple test would be to swap the wind and rain plugs on the Transmitter. Then, a small amount of rotation of the anemometer should indicate lots of rain (0.3mm per half rotation) and pouring water into the rain gauge should indicate a small gust or some average windspeed (each 48 seconds). BEWARE: This test will of course upset your logs which may need some editing or deletion in Cumulus. Probably best to run and close down Cumulus just before the test and clear/reset the Console afterwards.

Cheers, Alan.
Alan....Really appreciate your input and will try today when it gets light.........wind direction does display by the way.
mjn
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by mjn »

Take the bottom off the wind speed unit (3 small screws) and make sure the two small wires coming away from the reed switch are not touching the small fixing screw of the circuit board - mine were and when bent away all was fine.