Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

shower detection

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
juliang
Weather Station: wh-1080
Operating System: xp

shower detection

Post by juliang »

this is not really a forecasting matter but....

With all these April showers it would be very useful to have something that caused a sound or flashed a square when the rain bucket tripped after a specified time to indicate the start of a shower.

It might be necessary to have a means of varying the interval since the previous trip and even the number of trips.

Would help me get the washing dry? (wh1080)https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/posting.php ... b669879b19#
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: shower detection

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

You can set the hour or 24-hour rain "alarm" threshold on the WH1080 (and others) below a single-tip (e.g. 0.2mm) and it will indeed sound on the first tip. You probably need to use the Easyweather software to do this as it doesn't seem obvious which alarm is being set via the console.

However, 0.3 mm is quite a lot of rain so your washing will still probably get wet(ter). I tried using a large funnel above the gauge but it didn't make the "first tip" occur any earlier, because more rain drops collected on the funnel surface (due to surface tension) but didn't run down to the see-saw quickly enough. Maybe spray some WD40 on the surface?

If you want a sensitive detector, I think Steve posted a link to a capacitive sensor earlier this year, but it wasn't cheap.

Cheers, Alan.
nest9020
Weather Station: WS-2080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by nest9020 »

you can build a cheap rain detector like this.
I will take a picture of the actual sensor and post it later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nest9020
Weather Station: WS-2080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by nest9020 »

as promised a picture of the sensor and circuit. Cost about $2.00
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BillW
Weather Station: Ultimeter 2100 + 5 in man. gauge
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Post by BillW »

Hi,
If you're looking for a ready to go product (please note this is not an endorsement, I just saw it talked about elewhere) the KEMO M152 rain detector might suit your needs.
Do a google for suppliers, retails for ~£20.
Regards,
Bill.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Yes, an interesting "hobby" project that could be quite useful (for example) if you still put washing out in the garden to dry. But IMHO two major weaknesses, it really needs an audible alarm, and must be cleaned of water once triggered. Maybe using "Veroboard" (copper-clad stripboard) could be more rugged. I see that the Kemo uses a heater to "reset" the device by evaporating off the water, but not very practical for battery operation.

More expensive, of course, but there's also the very interesting Hydreon RG-11 which can give continuous, unattended detection of "it's raining (or not raining)".

Cheers, Alan.