Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus 1.9 run as a Windows service

Discussion and questions about Cumulus weather station software version 1. This section is the main place to get help with Cumulus 1 software developed by Steve Loft that ceased development in November 2014.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Cumulus 1.9 run as a Windows service

Post by mcrossley »

Well if they manage to RDP in, then they still have to log in because you always have to authenticate an RDP session, you never just get the last screen. You are relying on your Windows password security though.
jonifili
Weather Station: Watson W8681
Operating System: Win XP - pro 32 bit

Post by jonifili »

mcrossley wrote:Well if they manage to RDP in, then they still have to log in because you always have to authenticate an RDP session, you never just get the last screen. You are relying on your Windows password security though.
You're right, I rely on the windows password, but the cumulus user does not have permission to view/edit other folders or run some other programs.

I do get the info on cumulus in realtime when I am on that user, either in RDP or logged fiscally at the machine.
aussiewmr
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 1903

Post by aussiewmr »

I auto log in with a screen saver password set. After 10 mins the screen save cuts in and password needs to be re-entered to gain access again.

If you are paranoid, you could ask the screen saver to cut in immediately on log in (through a start up batch file or something).

Yes not as secure as service approach, but imo for home users secure enough. Really depends on level of paranoia. :|

I use web based data a lot but I still fire up cumulus features almost daily (like select a graph, all time records clearing etc) for various reasons. So a service would be more of a pain in the but for me.

Cheers

Phil
serowe
Weather Station: WM918
Operating System: Win Server 2008 R2

Post by serowe »

aussiewmr wrote:I use web based data a lot but I still fire up cumulus features almost daily (like select a graph, all time records clearing etc) for various reasons. So a service would be more of a pain in the but for me.
Keep in mind, if the machine also runs something like XAMPP or WAMP, you could then access all the information from any other PC/iPad etc connected to your home network (presuming, of course, you have one :) ) without having to evensee Cumulus at any time.
Punctuation is the difference between 'Let's eat, grandma' and 'Let's eat grandma'
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

If your windoze is set to auto-logon, your security isn't at risk unless you leave the machine connected to a keyboard and monitor AND logged in. Even then you can have windows go into screen save mode after a few seconds, with a password required to 'wake up' and the local desktop is locked.
In the event you do a remote login the local desktop is locked. When the remote user disconnects, the desktop is 'locked' at the Welcome screen until someone logs in either locally or remotely. In this situation, it doesn't matter that your cumulus user is logged in, no one else can connect as that user unless they provide the correct password, just as if they were logging in manually after a reboot.

Windows security is not perfect, but it certainly isn't as open as some would have us believe.

For those interested, here's a link to the correct procedure to set up auto login for Windoze-7 without any registry patching.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ ... dows-7.htm

Cheers.
Cheers,
Graeme.
smithbill
Weather Station: TBC
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by smithbill »

Posting a reply some 8 years after the original question was asked :) (due to the fact that when Googling "CumulusMX as a Windows service" this post shows up)

I've recently started ti run CumulusMX as a service on Windows10 and after some trial and error I found that in the service details in the Registry you must also include in the Parameters key a value called "AppDirectory"

So for example:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CumulusMX\Parameters:
Application: REG_SZ: C:\Program Files\CumulusMX\CumulusMX.exe
AppDirectory: REG_SZ: C:\Program Files\CumulusMX

Without the AppDirectory, I presume the .exe is unable to find the files/folders that it would normally access when run interactively.

Bill