Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Zambretti Forecast

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Snupple
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Win 7 x64

Zambretti Forecast

Post by Snupple »

Hi, been fiddling with my Baro settings as my forecast is constantly saying 'Stormy, Much Precipitauion" all the time and reading the Zambretti forecasting description I noticed that it mentions that the forecast should be calculated at 9am.

Is it a possible to have a setting to do this?
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Re: Zambretti Forecast

Post by GraemeT »

You could use Beteljuice's Zambretti algorithm.

I use a php translation which can be run as a Windoze scheduled task.

The php is here:
http://weather.gktnet.com/public/weathe ... ti.php.txt

Beteljuice's javascript is available here:
http://www.dickie.webfusion.co.uk/zambr ... ecast.html

cheers.
Cheers,
Graeme.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

The 'stormy, much precipitation' message is nothing to do with the time of day that the Forecast is calculated. Does the full forecast include "Exceptional weather"? Are you sure you have your barometer extremes set correctly? See http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#My_for ... itation.22
Steve
Snupple
Weather Station: WH3081
Operating System: Win 7 x64

Post by Snupple »

steve wrote: Does the full forecast include "Exceptional weather"? Are you sure you have your barometer extremes set correctly?
No, it doesn't include exceptional and I've had the settings the same for a long time, but around xmas when it was damn hot and around 33-39C it would say that all the time.

I know its only for fun, just seemed way out this time...

ANYWAY, when I was doing some research I noticed that
http://www.whitbyweather.com/Zambretti/forecaster.html

says "A forecast made at approximately 09:00 local time is reportedly better than 90% accurate, "

but maybe I read it wrong and they are not saying thats the best time to use the formula and it is less accurate at different times of the day..
GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Post by GraemeT »

Yes, I read that also.
I think that it all gets down to who's got the clearest crystal ball... 8-)

As Steve says, setting barometer extremes is critical. If you set them wrong with Beteljuice's forecaster, the forecasts can be a mile off either way.
I've set cumulus to a few hPa above and below the max. and min. pressure over the last couple of years, but I'm still unclear on what are the best values to use.
Cheers,
Graeme.
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

I've set cumulus to a few hPa above and below the max. and min. pressure over the last couple of years, but I'm still unclear on what are the best values to use.
If the forecasts are (very) inaccurate, then that is the correct approach. (unless of course if some of them are regarded as extreme values - eg. typhoon etc.)
No, it doesn't include exceptional and I've had the settings the same for a long time, but around xmas when it was damn hot and around 33-39C it would say that all the time.
If that was exceptional then the forecast is correct, if it 'normal' for your location increase the top of the range a little.
Hi, been fiddling with my Baro settings as my forecast is constantly saying 'Stormy, Much Precipitauion" all the time and reading the Zambretti forecasting description I noticed that it mentions that the forecast should be calculated at 9am. ... Is it a possible to have a setting to do this?
Funny, it says that on my site as well :P
Actually it more correctly states "A forecast at approx. 09:00 local Solar Time is allegedly better than 90% accurate ! ".

I think there is already a setting somewhere to use 09:00 ish figures, but then you could lose some unexpected rapid change.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Post by wd40 »

This is where Cumulus forecast shines. This is a small front moving fast. WU and TV forcast say no rain but Cumulus says:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt.j5b
Weather Station: Davis VP2/ WLL with DFARS
Operating System: RPi Raspbian (Buster)

Post by Matt.j5b »

With my station I am surprised that often it gets it roughly right because adjusting the pressure extremes helped but I don't alway keep an eye on that forecast.
Regards, Matt of Brisbane, Australia
Ferny Grove Weather