Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

<#currcond>

Other discussion about creating web sites for Cumulus that doesn't have a specific subforum

Moderator: daj

nking
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: <#currcond>

Post by nking »

Steve,

With reference to the external programs command I use for the metar data - It would seem the currentconditions.txt file gets updated after the normal web update. If my assumption is correct, I wondered if it might be simple to have the normal web update as the last activity?

It's only a nice to have so will understand if the answer is No.

Thanks
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

nking wrote:With reference to the external programs command I use for the metar data - It would seem the currentconditions.txt file gets updated after the normal web update.
Yes, that's right. When I was asked for this facility, it was because someone wanted to run a program to do something with the pages/files which Cumulus had just produced. So I can't just change it to work the other way around. To be completely flexible, it really needs to allow a 'before' and 'after' program to be specified.
Steve
nking

Post by nking »

steve wrote:
nking wrote:With reference to the external programs command I use for the metar data - It would seem the currentconditions.txt file gets updated after the normal web update.
Yes, that's right. When I was asked for this facility, it was because someone wanted to run a program to do something with the pages/files which Cumulus had just produced. So I can't just change it to work the other way around. To be completely flexible, it really needs to allow a 'before' and 'after' program to be specified.
Thanks for confirming the situation ( and the saying "You can't please everyone all of the time" :lol: ). I'm more than happy with the feature as is.
Stig
Weather Station: WMR928NX
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Stig »

I have not been able to get Neils Metar solution working, I have used the settings from the help file, but when Cumulus has used the currentconditions.txt file (C:/Cumulus/currentconditions.txt) and the sample text shows on my web page, and Cumulus has deleted the file in Cumulus folder , Cumulus does not create the new currentconditions.txt file with the Metar values, and nothing more happens, the right side of internet settings- external programs is ( /stab "C:\Cumulus\currentconditions.txt" -downloadhide)
could anyone tell me if I am misunderstanding the concept or what is wrong
PeterP

Post by PeterP »

Hi all, I have the same problem as "Stig" ( and possibly "goldrush" as I run windows 64?).

Mweather runs fine as a stand-alone, and when I ask it to "load metars from the net" it provides the correct data, but doesn't seem to initiate and do the same when asked by Cumulus.

I say this because
a) I don't see a currentconditions.txt file being created or stored in the Cumulus folder, and
b)the metar data doesnt display on the webpage.

In addition, the currentconditions.txt file, if initially manually created awaiting data being placed in it, just stays empty in the Cumulus folder.

If test data is entered manually into the currentconditions.txt file, it uploads,displays, then disappears. A new currentconditions.txt file is not then automatically generated.

my program settings: C:\Cumulus\mweather\mweather,
and parameters of : /stab “C:\Cumulus\currentconditions.txt” –downloadhide

Any help would be appreciated, looks like a great concept, and other are very happy with it!
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've had a quick play with this; I use Windows x64 and see the same problem. But I'm afraid I have no idea why it apparently doesn't work on x64 systems. If you look in task manager, what seems to happen is that mweather starts, but apparently does nothing. Perhaps it doesn't get the parameters passed to it, for some reason.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

you could try wrapping the executable in small batch file and pass the params to that?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mcrossley wrote:you could try wrapping the executable in small batch file and pass the params to that?
Ah - well done! Actually, I put the entire command line in a batch file and didn't bother passing any parameters. Works fine.
Steve
Stig
Weather Station: WMR928NX
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Stig »

Steve
my computer runs on Windows Home Premium 32 bit, so I think the problem is not entirely on 64 bit systems,
but could you please show the contents of your batch file and where to put it,
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

This is the contents of my batch file; just for testing, so the paths are a little unusual, you would obviously need to change them to match your system. It doesn't matter where you put the batch file, just tell Cumulus where it is.

Code: Select all

c:\test\mweather.exe /stab "C:\Users\steve\Documents\RAD Studio\Projects\Cumulus\Release\Win32\currentconditions.txt" -downloadhide
Steve
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Thanks for the tip about the batch file, it now works!! :)

Now to get the lazy buggers are Canberra Airport to start adding some details to the observations, so I don't have to ;)
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
Ned
Weather Station: WS2083 (aspirated)
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Ned »

Since implementing mweather, my screensaver gets deactivated at the same time Cumulus starts a web upload. After the set period has elapsed, the screensaver is reactivated and the cycle starts again.
I'm thinking it's not caused by mweather itself, but just by having an external program set to run in Cumulus during web updates.
Must be just my PC, but I'd like to fix it.
Ideas please?
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

By 'screensaver' do you mean you have something running, displayed on the screen, or simply a blank screen? I have the latter, and don't see this (I'm running Windows 7).

You could try putting an '@' on the front of the command line in the batch file.
Steve
Ned
Weather Station: WS2083 (aspirated)
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Ned »

The screen just reverts to whatever is showing before the windows screensaver kicks in - as if I moved the mouse or hit a key.
I'm not running a batch file, XP runs the exe file and its parameters directly.

cheers.
nking

Post by nking »

Ned wrote:Since implementing mweather, my screensaver gets deactivated at the same time Cumulus starts a web upload. After the set period has elapsed, the screensaver is reactivated and the cycle starts again.
I'm thinking it's not caused by mweather itself, but just by having an external program set to run in Cumulus during web updates.
Must be just my PC, but I'd like to fix it.
Ideas please?
Hi Ned,

It's not just your PC. I'm running Cumulus on an old laptop XP SP3 like yourself and found that my monitor would not enter stand-by. I got over this by using a combination of screen saver and stand-by timings - it worked but not very neat.

Steve's solution of using DOS batch command "@" does the job (you will obviously need to set-up a batch file for this solution and set the time for monitor off less than the Cumulus update interval) - he's a clever guy.

I'm not using screen saver as I don't see the point in wasting energy, I blank my screen (stand-by).