Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Anemometer freezes

For discussion of DIY weather equipment - sensors, accessories, improvements to existing kit etc
Nova33
Weather Station: WH1080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Anemometer freezes

Post by Nova33 »

Hi everybody.
I have an anoying problem which I havn't been able to solve so far. As soon temperature falls below 0 the wind measure freezes and shows 0 m/s even when quite windy. Is there someone who's got the same problem and possibly has a solution? I have a WH1080.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Anemometer freezes

Post by steve »

Does the anemometer itself stop moving, or is it just the reading that's zero even though the cups are still turning? If it's the anemometer itself, you probably have water in it which is freezing, so you could perhaps try some water dispellant, unless anyone here has any better suggestions...
Steve
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

I've had my anemometer freeze up in very cold winter weather, particularly with snow. Usually with just frost it's OK.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
beeman
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by beeman »

During the summer we had a few very settled days with no wind. Then we had a light breeze for a day or 2 but the weather station was showing no wind. I climbed up to take a look and a spider had built a huge web from one of the cups to the support :shock:

How strong is spider web .....
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Very strong and very annoying, though less so than flies! I HATE flies!!
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
sm0hxb
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH-1080
Operating System: Windows 7 64bit HP laptop

Post by sm0hxb »

Hi Nova33

I have the same problem with the anemometer freezes when temperatures fall slightly below 0C, if there is high humidity.
But when it gets colder and the air is drier, it's usually no problem. The only problem is if it gets a lot of snow on the anemometer.