Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind and rain spike

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Wind and rain spike

Post by wd40 »

Had my first, "Jee where did that rain and wind spike come from.

I spiked 8" of rain and a single spike of 25mph gust. I used the FAQ to fix the rain and I can edit the record.

The console shows no rain which is right, that surprised me. And it surprised me to have a wind gust spike which didn't happen either. Could not have been a bird since the console recorded no rain.

Is this the norm for a fineoffset error?

Randy
daj
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Pi & MX

Re: Wind and rain spike

Post by daj »

wd40 wrote:Is this the norm for a fineoffset error?
When I get errors from the Fine Offset they are always extreme (and therefore obvious). Windspeed of 999, rain of 99 etc. and I assume this is down to a data packet containing errors in the transmission.
David
kippfordweather.uk
Cumulus MX & Raspberry Pi
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

wd40 wrote:Is this the norm for a fineoffset error?
Well it's certainly not unusual. I've spent plenty of time and testing to get rid of data spikes! And I still get them at times.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
wd40

Post by wd40 »

I got called out of town and had to make a quick trip to Florida just after I made the post.

I guess I always thought the spike were coming from the station not the console.

Next time I will do a bit more documentation.

Randy
Gina
Weather Station: Nothing working ATM - making one
Operating System: OS X, Linux Mint, Win7 & XP

Post by Gina »

Good idea :) I'm on the hunt for the cause of the spikes as I said in another thread.
Gina

Sorry, no banner - weather station out of action. Hoping to be up and running with a new home-made one soon.
wd40

Post by wd40 »

I know it is not a cumulus problem for sure so trying to find the source of the spike will be harder for sure.

Oddly at the same time frame my repeater I use to extended the range of my wireless network died. I don't think they are related.
MartinDn
Weather Station: WH1081
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by MartinDn »

I had another spike this morning too. Wind speed of 101mph and a sudden deluge of 20mm rain which didn't happen (steady slight drizzle at the time). The temprature filtering worked fine, as it didn't get a temperature spike, but windchill shot down to about -15C!!

I'm sure this isn't a Cumulus problem, but perhaps something could be done to filter out readings like that.

At present, I have to go and edit the appropriate files manaully. Fortunatelt i have a recent backup, so I won't have to remember by records data.