Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.1.1 (build 4025) - 19 June 2024

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Pressure spike on every restart (GW2001/Wittboy)

From Cumulus MX version 3 build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since, and has recently released Cumulus MX version 4. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

smc
Weather Station: ecowitt wittboy gw2001
Operating System: Windows7

Pressure spike on every restart (GW2001/Wittboy)

Post by smc »

(Sorry to be here as a new user, earlyer was "casacota" but I lost access to my old email)

Build 4025 working great, but I noticed a pressure spike on every CumulusMX restart (and only then).

If I activate some spike filter it turns worse, all subsequent values remain a hight flatlined constant value.

I've tried to play with different delays for starting the software, make first readings, but without effect.

Thanks and respect for the great work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Linux openSUSE

Re: Pressure spike on every restart (GW2001/Wittboy)

Post by broadstairs »

I'd suggest turning on data debug and spike logging before a restart and then upload the log file just after he restart. This should show whether this is bad data coming in from the sensor or a bug in CMX handling. It could also be from catch up using Ecowitt data.

Stuart
Currently running CMX V4 4023
smc

Post by smc »

This is I guess the file you mention - I hope!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

You did not enable data or debug logging prior to this restart, this is essential to see what data is being retrieved. Please do that and upload another log file following the restart.

One other question - are you uploading to Ecowitt from your gateway and if so are these spikes shown on the graphs on the Ecowitt page?

Stuart
smc

Post by smc »

I hope this is now correct.

On ecowitt.net the spikes do not appear, nor here https://www.atmos.cat/weatherlink/sumar ... FA91FE.htm (this is an own script receiving the data direct from the station via Customized -> ecowitt protocol). Cumulus itself is connected via local API, everything with fixed IP Adresses.

On those restarts only CumulusMX is restarted, nothing else.
smc

Post by smc »

broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

That last log file shows the pressure returned by the local API call was 944.0 and 1017.0 (Absolute and Relative values respectively) at 08:29:13 which I assume is about correct. Can you check the values in CMX and on the graph at this time to see what the spike value was? If CMX still shows the spike on the graph at this time then I think we need Mark or someone with the code to take a look.

Stuart

BTW I think we will need another log file with debug logging turned on as well as data logging to get much further with this.
smc

Post by smc »

Yes, this is correct, but the graph shows at every restart (and only then) these spikes.

The spikes seem to be recorded to the database, here at 8:25 https://www.atmos.cat/lotemps/today.htm

Since the computer is set to reboot automatically every day at 4:34 AM, these spikes are easy traceable.
smc

Post by smc »

Here a new log with data and debugging on.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

I've had a look at the latest log file and can see valid and realistic data for pressure coming in. I cannot see anything else which jumps out at me. One thing which might help can you say exactly the pressure readings for this latest spike as saved by CMX which might help decide where they come from. Right now I'm out of ideas. Mark will not be back for a bit yet and I think he might need to look at this.

Stuart
weatherbee
Weather Station: WS-5000
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by weatherbee »

I had these spikes happen when I had ticked Calculate sea level pressure. Not as many spikes but at least on per day. I unticked that setting and haven't had any spikes. You find that setting under station settings, common options I hope this helps.
Tom
smc

Post by smc »

Thanks for the idea. Unfortunately, the spikes at startup still occur even with the sea level calculation deactivated, although they are much lower (around 2-3 hPa instead of 9-10 hPa as when the calculation is enabled). The spikes only happen when CumulusMX starts or restarts; there are no spikes on the station itself or in the logged data. It seems like there is some initial data in a variable that causes these values before the live data is ingested.
smc

Post by smc »

Sorry, I was wrong. Without the calculation, there are no spikes at startup (I thought it was a spike because the value is higher without it).

Additionally, an important side effect: without the calculation, the Zambretti forecast is reasonable. With the calculation enabled, rapidly rising temperatures (as seen in Southern Europe) cause a pressure drop in the calculated sea-level pressure, resulting in incredible forecasts predicting storms, heavy rain, and instability in otherwise stable conditions. It seems the problem might lie in this calculation.

Personally, I'm happy with the calculation disabled. Thanks!
Last edited by smc on Wed 10 Jul 2024 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broadstairs

Post by broadstairs »

Good to know that you have a solution, excellent example of why forums are good! Now we need Mark to look into this on his return.

Stuart
smc

Post by smc »

For your information: from the middle to the left, the pressure graph shows the pressure with sea level calculation enabled; from the middle to the right, under the same atmospheric conditions, it shows the pressure with the calculation disabled and only an offset applied. The spikes disappear, and the daily amplitude oscillation is smaller—the truth likely lies somewhere between the two.