Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

CumulusMX 4 dayfile & NOAA problem

From Cumulus MX version 3 build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since, and has recently released Cumulus MX version 4. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Mrc
Weather Station: Ecowitt hp2551
Operating System: Windows 10

CumulusMX 4 dayfile & NOAA problem

Post by Mrc »

Hi. I updated to version 4, followed instructions and now there is 2 problems. Dayfile error: Error at line 4 of data\dayfile.txt : Error at record 4 = "14.02" - The input string '14.02' was not in a correct format.
And NOAA-reports: old reports work just fine but this month and year doesn't. They only show values created by version 4. So i guess there is problem with formats but i don't know which ones to correct..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: CumulusMX 4 dayfile & NOAA problem

Post by freddie »

Have you checked line 4 of your dayfile? Is the format the same as the surrounding lines? Maybe attach to a reply to this topic if it looks the same to you, so others can take a look.
Freddie
Mrc

Post by Mrc »

So the problems was format. Old NOAA used comma and the new CMX 4 NOAA was set to use dot. I changed this in the settings. Have to wait and see if they work now..
Problem with dayfile was that some reason CMX 3 used dot in time format and CMX 4 uses colon. PC also used dot so i changed it to use colon also. So now my dayfile has 2 different time formats but i don't know if that is a problem.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

You said you followed the instructions, but it doesn't sound as if you did the data migration bit. This removes all locale-specific things from the data files. Look at the following post for details: viewtopic.php?t=22051
Freddie
Mrc

Post by Mrc »

I did follow the instructions and did everything it told me to but NOAA still doesn't work. Maybe i try to do everything again..
Mrc

Post by Mrc »

Reports still doesn't work. I installed version 4 three times just like the instructions said but still CMX4 doesn't understand NOAA reports made by CMX3.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 5:59 am Reports still doesn't work. I installed version 4 three times just like the instructions said but still CMX4 doesn't understand NOAA reports made by CMX3.
What do you mean precisely by: Reports still doesn't work (yes, I read the thread)?
  1. Is the dayfile now correct?
  2. Did you regenerate the old reports prior to your v4 installation?
  3. Do you have a correct Records Began Date
Could you please post the MXdiags logfile (with the startup and one rollover)
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Definitely more clarity needed on the problem as Hans says.
Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 5:59 am ...but still CMX4 doesn't understand NOAA reports made by CMX3.
MX doesn't "read" old reports at all, it only generates them as output files. The only time it reads them is as pure text to send unaltered to the web page for display.
Mrc

Post by Mrc »

There is a lot of errors in dayfile now, the time format but it still works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 9:14 am There is a lot of errors in dayfile now, the time format but it still works.
  • It is not the time format which does not work, it is the values.
  • Could you post the conversion log? (MigrateData-yyyyMMdd-hhmmss.txt; found in de MXdiags directory)
  • Is your problem only with the interface or do you also have a (problematic) website?
  • You did not answer my questions found in my previous post, please do.
Hans

Mrc

Post by Mrc »

HansR wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 7:41 am
Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 5:59 am Reports still doesn't work. I installed version 4 three times just like the instructions said but still CMX4 doesn't understand NOAA reports made by CMX3.
What do you mean precisely by: Reports still doesn't work (yes, I read the thread)?
  1. Is the dayfile now correct?
  2. Did you regenerate the old reports prior to your v4 installation?
  3. Do you have a correct Records Began Date
Could you please post the MXdiags logfile (with the startup and one rollover)
As you can see in my first post reports only show values created by CMX 4, not earlier created by CMX 3 (this month and this year).
I copied the reports folder to version 4 folder before running MigrateData3to4. Problem is both interface and website because they show same thing.
Records began date is 2015-05-30, same as dayfile so i think it is correct.
But in conversion log there is nothing about noaa-reports??

Edit. I don't know why dayfile looks like that in the attachment. When i open it direct from cumulusfolder it looks normal.
HansR

Post by HansR »

Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 11:36 am As you can see in my first post reports only show values created by CMX 4, not earlier created by CMX 3 (this month and this year).
So it appears it is not conitnuing on your previous NOAA reports.
Did you copy all reports over to v4 and did you do that to the correct directory? (I noticed you do not use the standard directory name so check that. You may have a typo there)
Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 11:36 am I copied the reports folder to version 4 folder before running MigrateData3to4. Problem is both interface and website because they show same thing.
Apparently something went wrong here (see my first remark).
Again: check the directory name!
Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 11:36 am Records began date is 2015-05-30, same as dayfile so i think it is correct.
OK.
Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 11:36 am But in conversion log there is nothing about noaa-reports??
NOAA reports are not converted. They are generated once and if you did not copy them you will have to regenerate them (See menu=>Reports)
Mrc wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 11:36 am Edit. I don't know why dayfile looks like that in the attachment. When i open it direct from cumulusfolder it looks normal.
They look normal, you probably just see the wrap of the line in your editor (e.g. notepad)

So in summary as far as I can see:
  1. there is no problem with your conversions according to the logfile
  2. likely you need to (re)copy your NOAA reports to the directory you defined in your settings under NOAA Settings=>Upload Options

NOTE: because you use PHP upload that directory needs to be the path below the CMX directory without a closing slash.
    So e.g. : Reports (and nothing more than that directory name)

NOTE: the logfile indicates your NOAA reports are saved to the subdirectory reports (on the CMX machine) and are uploaded to the subdirectory NOAA-reports . That seems to go OK. So if you do not see the reports, did you really copy the v3 reports to those directories?
Finally: what I do not understand is why the dayfile does not read correctly. I will try it on my test system and will come back to that.
Just realize that that in principle has nothing to do with the NOAA reports as CMX simply continues to run after all those errors it finds and reads the day, stores the data and writes the NOAA reports. I see no other errors in the Logfile
Hans

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

OK, I see one problem.

MigrateData3to4 is not converting the times in the dayfile (or presumably the monthly files either) from using a "." separator to ":"

You could fix that yourself, edit the v3 copy of the dayfile in the datav3 folder, and do a global replace of "." to ":", then run the MigrateData3to4 again.

Another worry, is that MigrateData3to4 only found the August monthly files: elo15log.txt, elo16log.txt etc

Could you provide a list of files in your datav3 folder please?

It looks like MigrateData3to4 is not coping with the Suomi culture.
HansR

Post by HansR »

In your dayfile the times are written with a point separator (e.g. 17.45 i.s.o. 17:45).

Your locale (culture) is : suomi (Suomi) [fi-FI]

I have an idea where that comes from but I am not sure.
It is to @Mark to handle this I guess.

EDIT: Mark beat me to it :D
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 24 May 2024 12:14 pm You could fix that yourself, edit the v3 copy of the dayfile in the datav3 folder, and do a global replace of "." to ":", then run the MigrateData3to4 again.
That won't work if it starts replacing decimal separators...
Hans