Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Installing .net on RPi

From Cumulus MX version 3 build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since, and has recently released Cumulus MX version 4. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Nottub
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (Cabled)
Operating System: RPi 4 (Bookworm)

Installing .net on RPi

Post by Nottub »

So in anticipation of some pain ahead I have begun the process of installing .net on my RPi.

I am running Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster), which looking at Marks instructions is not covered by his easy to copy scripts and instead is referenced by a link to; "https://learn.microsoft.com/en-gb/dotne ... ed-install".

1)
I used the 'Scripted Install' method and selected the 'Run Time' Version to install, 'wget https://dot.net/v1/dotnet-install.sh -O dotnet-install.sh', and the permissions command 'chmod +x ./dotnet-install.sh'

Here is the resulting message:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ./dotnet-install.sh --version latest --runtime aspnetcore
dotnet-install: Attempting to download using aka.ms link https://dotnetcli.azureedge.net/dotnet/ ... arm.tar.gz
dotnet-install: Remote file https://dotnetcli.azureedge.net/dotnet/ ... arm.tar.gz size is 40125024 bytes.
dotnet-install: Extracting zip from https://dotnetcli.azureedge.net/dotnet/ ... arm.tar.gz
dotnet-install: Downloaded file size is 40125024 bytes.
dotnet-install: The remote and local file sizes are equal.
dotnet-install: Installed version is 8.0.3
dotnet-install: Adding to current process PATH: `/home/pi/.dotnet`. Note: This change will be visible only when sourcing script.
dotnet-install: Note that the script does not resolve dependencies during installation.
dotnet-install: To check the list of dependencies, go to https://learn.microsoft.com/dotnet/core/install, select your operating system and check the "Dependencies" section.
dotnet-install: Installation finished successfully.

Importantly The last line reads 'Installation finished successfully'.

2)
Next I ran the Dependencies for 'debian (as below)

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt install libc6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libc6 is already the newest version (2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1+deb10u2).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
libdav1d3 libnunit-cil-dev libnunit-console-runner2.6.3-cil libnunit-core-interfaces2.6.3-cil libnunit-core2.6.3-cil libnunit-framework2.6.3-cil
libnunit-mocks2.6.3-cil libnunit-util2.6.3-cil libpipewire-0.2-1 mono-jay xdg-desktop-portal xdg-desktop-portal-gtk
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

3)
Finally to check the install I ran 'dotnet --version' hoping to see V8 mentioned, alas not to be.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ dotnet --version
bash: dotnet: command not found
pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Is this Ok or not?
Do I need to restart my Pi for the update?

Thanks
and please be patient with me.

Martyn
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Re: Installing .net on RPi

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Martyn

Try dotnet --info

This should get 8.0.103 as the version on your RPi
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

AndyKF650 wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 10:38 am Hi Martyn

Try dotnet --info

This should get 8.0.103 as the version on your RPi
Thanks Andy, tried that and the same response:

“bash: dotnet: command not found”

Thanks for the recommendation.

Martyn
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I'm not familiar with Gnu, but you could try doing the last installation step (4) in my instructions (changing the path as you have installed to the default $HOME/.dotnet folder), these make dotnet "visible" to every login...

Code: Select all

sudo echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/home/pi/.dotnet' | sudo tee /etc/profile.d/dotnet.sh > /dev/null
sudo chmod +x /etc/profile.d/dotnet.sh
sudo ln -s /home/pi/.dotnet/dotnet /usr/bin/dotnet
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Martyn

Looking at your install it seems that it is trying to install an old version of dotnet. The method I used was that shown on GitHub and here are my notes for the install. It might help you, certainly the PATH bit that Mark suggested is included for the initial install.

To update the dotnet installation.

First remove any existing .NET install:

sudo rm -r /usr/share/dotnet

The GitHub install method installs the latest version, SDKs not needed or installed

curl -sSL https://dot.net/v1/dotnet-install.sh | bash /dev/stdin --version latest --verbose

To test the install the following will show the version and other information

dotnet --info

A final test from the terminal @CumulusMX will prove the installation.

dotnet utils/bin/cumulusutils.dll website

The following only needs to be done once at the initial install

Install the .NET dependencies  for Debian 12 bookworm

sudo apt-get update
	sudo apt install libc6 libgcc-s1 libgssapi-krb5-2 libicu67 libssl1.1 libstdc++6 zlib1g

Then next do the following

sudo echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/usr/share/dotnet' | sudo tee /etc/profile.d/dotnet.sh > /dev/null
	sudo ln -s /usr/share/dotnet/dotnet /usr/bin/dotnet
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 11:02 am I'm not familiar with Gnu, but you could try doing the last installation step (4) in my instructions (changing the path as you have installed to the default $HOME/.dotnet folder), these make dotnet "visible" to every login...

sudo echo 'export PATH=$PATH:/home/pi/.dotnet' | sudo tee /etc/profile.d/dotnet.sh > /dev/null
sudo ln -s /home/pi/.dotnet/dotnet /usr/bin/dotnet
So before I try Andy's github method, can you confirm what the revised code should be if the 'dotnet-install.sh' is sitting in the '/home/pi/' location?

Using the script as is, I do have a
NOTE: I can only see the 'dotnet-install.sh' in the 'home/pi location'.

Thanks for your help Mark

Martyn
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

UPDATE- FAILED AGAIN

I've selected 'View', 'Show Hidden' and can see a ".dotnet' folder under 'Home/Pi/' which has several files and folders.

Still can't get anything from 'dotnet --version', or 'dotnet --info' though, just "bash: dotnet: command not found"

Have run the script Mark suggested which i think generated a 'dotnet' icon in the 'usr/bin' folder but with an exclamation mark.

The 'File Properties' of that icon, points to '/usr/share/dotnet' which is an empty folder.

Still trying things but been at this for sometime now. :bash:

Martyn
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

DOES THIS MEAN SUCCESS?

I do hope so.

Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Post by Nossie »

looks good - looks like progress :lol:

I will add though.... buster is now two pios versions behind - might be something to keep in mind for the future.
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

Nossie wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 5:39 pm looks good - looks like progress :lol:

I will add though.... buster is now two pios versions behind - might be something to keep in mind for the future.
I did think about this. A clean install (bearing in mind my CMX runs on an external ssd, with the necessary changes made to identify that location and run it from there)?

Or

Update in situ to Bullseye?

Thanks
Martyn
Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Post by Nossie »

it's up to you - some would say if it's not broke, don't fix it - but if you are going to all the effort of changing from mono to dotnet \o/ and if it doesn't impact your existing cmx, why not?
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
flort
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

Post by flort »

Nottub wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2024 5:25 pm DOES THIS MEAN SUCCESS?

I do hope so.

Martyn
Hi Martyn,

I am also running Buster. Would you mind providing a step-by-step instruction on how you eventually installed .Net 8. I've tried a few things without success and my Linux knowledge is fairly limited (been a Windows man for too many years).

Regards,
Trevor
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

Hi Trevor,
I am also running Buster. Would you mind providing a step-by-step instruction on how you eventually installed .Net 8. I've tried a few things without success and my Linux knowledge is fairly limited (been a Windows man for too many years).
Note that I do use the GUI version of RPi so can look into the file structure quite easily using 'Remote Desktop Connection'. For me I can see the results of using the command line, and also run the command line in the GUI environment. Like you, I struggle with many of the command line instructions.

I had to re-install .net again this morning, not through any problems with the previous install but for other reasons related to the O/S. :bash:

Again I followed the instructions to the letter (with a change to the installation directory noted in the instructions). In 'home/pi/' I could see the 'dotnet-install.sh' file, and after selecting 'View - Show Hidden' I realised that the '.dotnet directory' had not been created. The command 'dotnet --info' therefore drew a blank.

However I did note on my older Pi (with .net installed) that the directory size of '.dotnet' in the 'home/pi' was quite large and would presumably take time to create.

For ardent coders out there look away now! :groan:

After right clicking on the 'dotnet-install.sh' file in 'home/pi/', and 'Open' I ran the 'Execute' option, and it did take a short but noticeable time to install, but it worked straight away. :D

Not sure if I was impatient or not just using command line instructions, but I have to say that executing the script as I did worked first time.

Hope this helps

Martyn
flort

Post by flort »

Thanks Martyn. .Net 8 is now installed.

Regards,
Trevor
flort

Post by flort »

So I've got .Net 8 installed and have done a fresh install of CumulusMX. I've run the conversion utility on my data files but what command do I use to run Cumulus interactively? I didn't want to install it as a service until I was sure everything was working fine.

Regards,
Trevor