Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Gauges page updates

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

jacquot
Weather Station: W-8681
Operating System: Raspbian

Gauges page updates

Post by jacquot »

My weather station is a w-8681 with a USB connection to a Raspberry Pi running Cumulus MX 3.13.8 d:3154.

My attempts to fine tune the Gauges page to my liking (http://www.holmbank.com/gauges.htm) haven't been entirely successful so I need advice relating to the page's top line. There's a scroilling box named 'canvas_status' which contains either 'Not available' or 'Page auto-update limit reached, click the status LED to continue', then there's another box, 'canvas_timer' which contains a countdown from 15 seconds or 0 depending on the context.

In Internet Settings / Web/FTP Site /Interval Configuration, Normal Interval Settings is set to 5 minutes and Real time Interval Settings to 5 seconds.

What I''m trying to achieve is data capture into the MMMYYlog.txt every 5 minutes, which is working as I want, and an update to the gauges every 5 seconds, which isn't happening. The counter is always counting down from 15 seconds rather than the 5 I expected after I changed the real time update fequency, and I'd also like to alter the information in the information box.

Should the Real Time Interval setting affect the gauges as I want, or am I barking up the wrong tree? If I am, how can I configure the gauges update frequency?

Where is the source for the information box's text?

Thanks!
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Gauges page updates

Post by water01 »

You are barking up the wrong tree.

The timer interval is set in the code for gauges.js in variable realtimeInterval.

Unless you have a very good internet connection I would leave the interval at 15 seconds and set realtime to 15, but you probably would get away with 10.

Without a good internet connection the chances of uploads completing in 5 seconds are slim and eventually will fail as one tries to upload as another upload is not completed and they run into each other.

"Not Available" usually means that the realtimegauges.txt cannot be found but I can see that is not the case as in development console I can see the file loading and the data is being presented, so that is a bit puzzling.
David
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

"Not available" is the forecast. You have no forecast string being generated by MX.
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Aha didn't think of that!!! :groan: :groan: :groan: :groan:
David
jacquot

Post by jacquot »

Thanks for your contributions. Water01, now I know where to find the setting, I've set the update interval to 5 seconds and will monitor what goes on over the next few days to see if any problems arise. Both Cumulus and the Web server are on the same Pi, so the files are being copied from one folder to another which is the work of a few milliseconds. Mcrossley, thanks for the tip and I’ve now turned on the Cumulus forecast with the result that all is 'settled fine', both in software and weather respects!
jacquot

Post by jacquot »

The logs show that reading the data takes about 200ms and copying realtime.txt and realtimegauges.txt completes in 16-22 ms. The process only tripped over itself once, the first time it ran after a machine reboot, but dealt well with the problem: "Warning, a previous cycle is still processing local files. Skipping this interval". So far so good.