Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Windows-11 Compatability

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

GraemeT
Weather Station: La Crosse WS-2355 & WS-2306
Operating System: Windoze 7, 10, 11

Windows-11 Compatability

Post by GraemeT »

Hi all.
Has anyone else had compatability issues with running Cumulus MX on Windows-11?
Since build 3145, up to build 3257 I've been running the Windows compatability troubleshooter and that has sorted things out for MX to run happily. This morning I downloaded build 3263 and I find that Micro$oft has now killed off the troubleshooter, meaning I can't start the latest MX. I installed build 3257 about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it still runs ok on Windows-11 Pro 22H2 build 22621.2715.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Cheers,
Graeme.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: Windows-11 Compatability

Post by Mapantz »

Not that it helps, but I haven't had any issues with CMX on Windows 11.

I installed CMX on it over two years ago, not needed to run the compatibility trouble shooter once. New version works fine too.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

A bit more detail is required to troubleshoot - MXdiags files, screenshot of terminal window if that's how you start it, description of errors seen, and description of symptoms.
Freddie
GraemeT

Post by GraemeT »

Sorry Freddie, no diag file is available, because MX 3263 literally won't start at all. As a result, it's not going to give me any information at all.
I don't believe this is a Cumulus issue. I believe it's something that's happened as a result of Windoze-11 updates and as most of us know, they can't easily be avoided or reversed..
I'm interested to hear from anyone else who's had this problem and if so, have they found a cure for it. So far, I'm at a loss as to what has happened.

One other detail, this was a clean install of Win-11 in March of this year on a pc that only runs Cumulus and web-related software. It's not an "upgrade install" from Win7 or 10.
Cheers,
Graeme.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

MX is developed and debugged on Windows 11, it is 100% Windows 11 compatible. The compatibility settings are only needed for very old programs, or if something is amiss.

So as @freddie says we need more information. How are you starting MX (as a service, command line, script, launcher, ??)
Where is it installed, what is the exact error? Anything in the Windows error log?

As a note, the compatibility settings are still available on the files properties as they always were, but you have to set them manually rather than through the utility. I suspect MS withdrew the troubleshooter because there is so little need for it nowadays.
GraemeT

Post by GraemeT »

I've been launching Cumulus from a shortcut in the startup folder, as I always have in the past and when it would not start, there was no error at all, no command window, or messages.

Thanks Mark, for giving me the clue that led me to resolve this. I had managed to miss the manual compatability settings. When I went through it manually, Windows came back with a dialogue saying it has found issues with an incompatible program and 'fixed' them. I have no idea why my Windows-11 install no longer likes MX 'out of the box', but that seems to be the case. As I mentioned at the start, I believe this to be something to do with Windows updates and/or UAC. Also, I've never had trouble with compatability until I set up it on this pc.
Now it's starting correctly and doing exactly what it should, but I'm still at a loss as to why, so I'll be investigating further to find the cause.
Cheers,
Graeme.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Graeme, if you provide all the details of the install, it may help us suggest what is wrong.

What compatibility settings have been enabled?
GraemeT

Post by GraemeT »

CumulusMX.exe now starts and seems to be running correctly in Windows-8 compatability mode. That is all that Windows-11 will tell me about the settings.
Prior to compatability being set, there is nodiags file because literally, nothing happened when I tried to start Cumulus.

For what it's worth, here is CumulusMX diags file from after the compatability settings and the program test run, as well as Windows-11 information.
I hope this is useful.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Graeme.