Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Suggestion: On CMX updates, provide an option for only those files that were updated from the previous release

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Suggestion: On CMX updates, provide an option for only those files that were updated from the previous release

Post by BigOkie »

I have done some modifications to the interface (small ones, mainly having to do with having the WC block change to heat index which required modifying the index.html and the dashboard.js, as well as my menu.js mods). The problem is the entire package destroys those mods if I just overwrite it. There are times I'm unsure as to whether or not I need to replace those files, so I wind up having to redo my modifications, or I have to check the file carefully and then re-insert my modifications. Now, the toughest one is for the WC/HI block on index.html.

How difficult would it be to just generate a differential update as well as the full update?

Thank you!
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Re: Suggestion: On CMX updates, provide an option for only those files that were updated from the previous release

Post by SamiS »

Once upon a time in history, there was a list of changed files provided with the release announcement. People did often do only partial updates, missed some files, and that generated a lot of false bug reports and confusion to the forum. Looking from this perspective, I’m afraid that Mark will not support this.

However, there is already an easy way to see which files are changed. You just have to compare the hash_md5 file from your old version and the version you are upgrading to. I use this on every upgrade to find changes regarding the website files that I have translated to my native language.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: Suggestion: On CMX updates, provide an option for only those files that were updated from the previous release

Post by HansR »

Agree with @SamiS: differential updates have proven to require too much of support in troubleshooting.

The interface updating is at your own risk I guess. If you want that just draw a copy of the sources and develop a thread yourself? The burden for personal wishes should not be on development.

But what changes did you make? You never know what can be done.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
Dador
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & Ecowitt
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Dador »

Fortunately, CMX updates come at quite affordable time intervals. Not too fast, not too slow.

Personally, I also have modified files that I compare with the new ones. I use Total Commander for this and its great function - compare by content. Then I overwrite "my" file only with the changes made by Mark. It takes a while, but I've been doing it this way for a long time and it's ok.
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

My update procedure since SOME TIME

Session1:
sudo rsync -av --delete CumulusMX/ CumulusMX_nnnn/

Session 2:
Ctrl-C to terminate running version

Session1:
sudo rsync -av --delete CumulusMX/ CumulusMX_nnnn/
unzip -o CumulusMXDistnnnn.zip

Session 2:
sudo mono CumulusMX.exe -debug

Fairly easy to roolback if needed ;)
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

I do similar:

Code: Select all

wget (new release URL)
systemctl stop CumulusMX
mv CumulusMX CumulusMX_nnnn
unzip (downloaded new release)
cd CumulusMX_nnnn
cp -a cumulus.ini ../CumulusMX/
(repeat above line for data and backup directories, plus customised templates etc)
systemctl start cumulusmx
The whole thing takes a couple of minutes, and would be done in seconds if I scripted it :lol:
Freddie
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

@rogerthn @freddie:
And how do you account for modified sources? As that is @BigOkies issue, you would need an automated diff of some kind and move the found lines to the new file - if that is still possible and the changes are not too big. You would need a kind of rewrite git merger. I think it is a pretty complex point.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

HansR wrote: Sun 05 Nov 2023 9:47 pm @rogerthn @freddie:
And how do you account for modified sources? As that is @BigOkies issue, you would need an automated diff of some kind and move the found lines to the new file - if that is still possible and the changes are not too big. You would need a kind of rewrite git merger. I think it is a pretty complex point.
Should be possible using diff -e and then ed, some details on https://www.computerhope.com/unix/udiff.htm
BigOkie
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Raspian Buster (RPi 3b)

Post by BigOkie »

I mean really, the only reason I have made the modification is to ensure that once it's warm enough to display heat index (in the US that's 80 degrees F and above) the dashboard does this. Once it drops below it I have it revert to wind chill. Maybe adding an option programmatically to do this could be an alternative depending on the LOE.