Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WeatherFlow Tempest system

Weather station hardware not applicable to any other subforum.
Gilbert TSA
Weather Station: Weatherflow Tempus
Operating System: Pi and Windows

Re: WeatherFlow Tempest system

Post by Gilbert TSA »

I've got wfpiconsole working on the same machine, and it is working in "realtime" so it is receiving the udp packets every 3 seconds so I don't think its a firewall issue.

Weather-Display works on the PC, again with 3 second updates.

It has to be something I setup wrong, but I'm stumped as top what it could be :?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Gilbert TSA wrote: Mon 06 Feb 2023 7:59 pm I've got wfpiconsole working on the same machine, and it is working in "realtime" so it is receiving the udp packets every 3 seconds so I don't think its a firewall issue.
At the same time?

It is probably a clash of ports. I wonder if wfpiconsole opens the listening port in shared mode or exclusive?
I *think* CMX is probably opening in exclusive mode, but I'd have to check.

Try stopping wfpiconsole, then starting CMX and see if it works.
jokerboy
Weather Station: WeatherFlow Tempest
Operating System: Windows 10/Linux

Post by jokerboy »

You haven't inadvertently changed the port have you? It should be 50222

Also, if you're trying to run wfpiconsole at the same time, that will prevent Cumulus from being able to listen on that port. You can only have 1 listener on a port at a time.
Gilbert TSA
Weather Station: Weatherflow Tempus
Operating System: Pi and Windows

Post by Gilbert TSA »

I'm Working now! Many thanks for all the suggestions.

The Weather Station and Wireless unit were on the "IoT" network, and the PC and pi on the "Home Network". As soon as I put the Tempest Wi-Fi on the Home Network vlan all started working👍

I has interpreted the working as the cumulusMX would receive the feed from the Weatherflow site tempestwx.com, but it does appear to be local.
I was about to do a wireshark trace, but the lan fixed it for me. I'll propbably run one anyway to see what type of packets they are as it was strange that wfpiconsole and weather-display were fine. If Cumulus is using the websockets API that would explain it.

Many Thanks all

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jokerboy wrote: Mon 06 Feb 2023 6:16 pm The Tempest will broadcast those packets by default. I'm not aware of any way to disable that.

@mcrossley is correct. The only REST calls will be on startup trying to grab any data since the last received by Cumulus.

My first guess would be that a firewall is blocking them. If not that, then I believe the Tempest has to be on the same subnet otherwise those broadcast packets won't be routed and you won't see them on any other subnet.
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

Gilbert TSA wrote: Mon 06 Feb 2023 8:12 pm I'm Working now! Many thanks for all the suggestions.

The Weather Station and Wireless unit were on the "IoT" network, and the PC and pi on the "Home Network". As soon as I put the Tempest Wi-Fi on the Home Network vlan all started working👍

I has interpreted the working as the cumulusMX would receive the feed from the Weatherflow site tempestwx.com, but it does appear to be local.
I was about to do a wireshark trace, but the lan fixed it for me. I'll propbably run one anyway to see what type of packets they are as it was strange that wfpiconsole and weather-display were fine. If Cumulus is using the websockets API that would explain it.
Good to hear it is resolved. Broadcast is basically always restricted inside one vlan, and multicast in most cases too. In theory you can route multicast, but in that case it would need a router supporting pim, a switch that supports igmp, and a client that is capable of subcribing to a multicast stream, so it is extremely rare in home networks.

I wonder could it be the other way round, that wfpiconsole and weather-display are actively polling from the tempest, and cmx just listens for broadcasts that it did not obviously get from other vlan.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

It appears that it may be a Mono thing. On more modern Windows than XP the default is shared mode, but Mono seems to default to exclusive mode.
I can put an explicit request to use shared mode in the Tempest code which "should" fix this (as I did for Ecowitt local API stations recently).
SamiS

Post by SamiS »

mcrossley wrote: Mon 06 Feb 2023 9:39 pm It appears that it may be a Mono thing. On more modern Windows than XP the default is shared mode, but Mono seems to default to exclusive mode.
I can put an explicit request to use shared mode in the Tempest code which "should" fix this (as I did for Ecowitt local API stations recently).
Now you are making me confused. If changing the station from network vlan to another resolved the issue, how is that related to shared or exclusive mode socket?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Sorry, it's not directly, but I saw another post about WD and CMX not working together on the same rPi, and WD is already using the port in shared mode (or so I believe).
SamiS

Post by SamiS »

mcrossley wrote: Mon 06 Feb 2023 11:31 pm Sorry, it's not directly, but I saw another post about WD and CMX not working together on the same rPi, and WD is already using the port in shared mode (or so I believe).
Ah, yes, ok, I did see that thread too, but my mind just didn’t connect these, when this case was already resolved by a network change.
adamsfour
Weather Station: Tempest weatherflow
Operating System: Raspberry Pi 3b

Post by adamsfour »

Hello
I have wfpiconsole working great on a PI 4. Trying to install on a PI 3 and install fails. The error message is Unable to install Kivy Python library. I have posted on the developer GitHub site hoping someone has an easy fix.