Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Relocating VP2 wind sensor

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Relocating VP2 wind sensor

Post by billy »

Help please. Just moved my VP2+ wind sensor from the ISS to a separate wireless sensor in a better location. In doing so I changed the orientation from south facing to north facing (ie from an orientation of 180o to 0o) and edited the WL settings accordingly but the wind reported wind direction is out by 180o. Resetting the WLL hasn't resolved the problem. (The console dealt with it quite easily!)

I read about a counterintuitive problem when moving the wind vane away from the ISS but do you think I can find that post now :bash:
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: Relocating VP2 wind sensor

Post by Mapantz »

I'm a little confused by this..

Wouldn't it be easier just to turn the anemometer so the arm is facing south again?
billy

Post by billy »

of course ... but given it is now facing north why doesn't the new setting of 0o in the WLL/WL give the right result? It is as if it can't overwrite the old setting. And this makes me suspicious that I have got something else wrong? It's nighttime here so no roof climbing allowed until the morning :roll:

EDIT: and I found the counterintuitive notion ... that the VP2+ wind sensor needs to be "ticked" and set to the new additional transmitter - which I have done
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Doesn't a setting of 0 mean it is pointing where Davis expects it? You have 180 from there so you need to enter plus or minus 180.
billy

Post by billy »

All is back to normal - faced the arm south and set the wind calibration to 180o ... and it works as before. I do not understand why facing it north and setting the calibration to 0o didn't give the same readings. Curiosity led me to email Davis ... awaiting a reply.
mcrossley wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 7:38 pm Doesn't a setting of 0 mean it is pointing where Davis expects it? You have 180 from there so you need to enter plus or minus 180.
The console manual states if it isn't facing north then calibrate accordingly. Couldn't find anything for WLL.
billy

Post by billy »

My apologies for wasting peoples time. The problem was the wind vane values being transmitted were not correct (intermittently). viewtopic.php?p=168921#p168921