Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

The ability to 'thank' a thread contribution

Topics concerning the Support Forum.
Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

The ability to 'thank' a thread contribution

Post by Nossie »

Just a tiny thing,

I suggest that if/when you decide to update phpbb, include an option to thank a member?

I realise that you could just post a reply - but it's sometimes not apt to jump in on a thread that you are not involved in.

As an example, looking through the forum going back sometime, a lot of the answers are there and you can use others experiences to resolve your own without needing to post - Many people here are always happy to contribute, but it would be nice if they received recognition for that, even if it's just a nod. Not sure if it's a built-in option yet, I did see an extension - but I've not messed around with bulletin board software since vBulletin were reputable =)
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: The ability to 'thank' a thread contribution

Post by freddie »

Nossie wrote: Thu 10 Nov 2022 10:26 am Just a tiny thing,

I suggest that if/when you decide to update phpbb, include an option to thank a member?

I realise that you could just post a reply - but it's sometimes not apt to jump in on a thread that you are not involved in.
There are extensions around that enable you to "like" a reply. I have not thought seriously about installing an extension like that, but if there was sufficient demand then it is certainly possible. Call me old fashioned, but I see no harm in replying to a topic to thank somebody. It doesn't affect the flow of conversation, especially if you quote the particular reply you are thanking somebody for.
Freddie
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I agree. There are several occasions when I've appreciated a post but the only way to thank the poster or show appreciation is by a post.

Only positive reactions. Once you start getting thumbs down or frowns it can go south pretty quickly. ;)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

WXforum has added only the [Like] (after some initial apprehension I think) and that has not been any issue, but I am still indifferent on it. It doesn't give the personal touch that a reply post does, and the number of Likes credited could become an ego.
Maybe borrow the WU Star ;) :bash:

Enjoy,
Paul
VP2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https://komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX https:// komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
Nossie
Weather Station: Ecowitt 2551
Operating System: Raspberry Pi5 Debian Bookworm

Post by Nossie »

Nah, no frowns or thumbs down. On a personal level it's not productive to anyone and since everyone is a volunteer, we don't care about KPI's or performance. Just a nod to say "cheers man"

There are almost 20k posts on the forum. You have been running a survey on what version of CM that people are using, overtime the thumbs up may also give you an idea of engagement on topics too. I understand where you are coming from Freddie, but most people don't wish to Necro a post from 2 years ago about something that may not even be relevant to that person. The site does appear to have a lot of lurkers and this would allow them to contribute if they wanted to in some way, although I'd never want to stop someone from personally saying thanks. A lot of insightful words have been spoken here over the years and I personally wouldn't wish to post a thanks on a thread that had 10 contributors and for all of them to get a notification just saying thanks for something tiny
and the number of Likes credited could become an ego.
A possibility Paul, but you already find people using post counts to go on an ego trip too.

\o/ Anyway - that's my 2 cents :D
Ian.

http://www.StewartonWeather.com
Containerised Cumulus[MX] 3.28.0 (build: 3269) ● CumulusUtils Version 6.23.0● Ecowitt 2551/WH65/T&HP/WH57/WH45/3x WH51 ● Pi 5 8GB ● Debian Bookworm ● Ubuntu Server Host
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

I’m a moderator on a flight sim forum. Been a member since March 2002. In 17,700 posts I’ve had 6,660 likes.

I’ve gone way past the ego trip trigger. :D
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.