Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V4 release 4.0.1 (build 4023) - 16 May 2024

(Note that 4.1.0 (build 4024) - 05 June 2024 remains available, but usage of this version is not recommended - particularly for Davis stations - and the included utility in this distribution for migrating to v4 is known to contain errors affecting conversion of dayfile.txt)

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Banner.php freezing

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

bobm
Weather Station: Watson W8686
Operating System: Windows 10

Banner.php freezing

Post by bobm »

This is one of those frustrating bug reports because I cannot narrow it down particularly precisely.

In the last two months I have seen the updating of banner.php stop although Cumulus MX is still running. The only way to restart it is to end the instance of Cumulus and run it again.

I am not sure if a bug crept in with one of the builds this autumn. It seems to happen when the PC goes to sleep - however the updating of the files for my weather website continues. It also doesn't happen every time it goes to sleep.

As I say not much to go on but may spark something.

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Banner.php freezing

Post by water01 »

One of the big NO NOs with either Cumulus 1 or CumulusMX is you should not your PC sleep. Neither Cumulus versions will work in Sleep mode.
David
bobm

Post by bobm »

Well that's what I thought but the web updates seem to continue 24 hours a day, but the banner occasionally stops.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The banner is presumably entered as an "extra file" which is part of the normal FTP upload cycle along with the standard files.

Please post your MXdiags file.
bobm

Post by bobm »

May be a slight delay - in trying to get the files I accidently stopped Cumulus seconds after I started it and the *.ini file has been deleted. So need to enter all the settings again.....
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The ini file copied to your backup folder every day/restart.
bobm

Post by bobm »

That's what I thought but when I started looking for the files to send I discovered the last file was dated 18th Oct.

Within backup there is a daily folder which is empty and three other files which only include a file called diary.

(and in trying to sort it I seem to have lost my records going back to last December)

Not going well!
bobm

Post by bobm »

18th Oct is when I downloaded and installed build 3213
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

If you have been allowing your computer to go to sleep over night without stopping CMX, then the end of day processing will not have been done - one of the tasks is to perform the daily backup. It also means all your daily values and records will be suspect/invalid.
bobm

Post by bobm »

I am wondering if where I said "sleep" I have been using the right terminology. The power settings show the PC is set to sleep "Never" and as I say the FTP downloads to the website have continued uninterrupted.

I am trying to find a cloud back up at the moment.
bobm

Post by bobm »

Well everything recovered from a back up and running again - hence the banner in the opening post updating again.

While waiting for backups to restore I remembered that Edge has an option to put tabs to sleep when not in use. I use Edge to view the console and I have therefore disabled the tab sleep option. That may have solved the issue as Cumulus MX did to its overnight back-ups. We shall see.
bobm

Post by bobm »

Well the problem has resurfaced but I have more detail this time.

The banner froze early this morning

Looking at the website it suggests the weather station is off line since the time the banner froze.

However if you look down the stats temps and wind data have been recorded since and indeed the indoor console is showing live data so I don't think it is off line.

A stop/start with Cumulus MX resolves the issue.

DIag files are zipped here - http://www.mbob.co.uk/rforum/MXfiles.zip
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

bobm wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 9:42 am DIag files are zipped here - http://www.mbob.co.uk/rforum/MXfiles.zip
Can't download unfortunately.
Try to attach the file to a post, that uploads the file to the forum. That should work.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
bobm

Post by bobm »

Unfortunately the zip file is too big to attach. Which files can I leave out in the MXdiags folder?
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Post by HansR »

bobm wrote: Wed 14 Dec 2022 11:38 am Unfortunately the zip file is too big to attach. Which files can I leave out in the MXdiags folder?
I guess you only need the last relevant logfile i.e. the most recent with the issue in it to start with.

Debug and data logging on is always good in a case like this but apparently it is unpredictable when it occurs so that may cost some time and space to catch the culprit in the logfile. If you haven't just post the most recent logfile in which the error occurs.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4023+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3