Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Observations for the migrated Wiki to the hosiene server

Please use this Forum to make suggestions for the future updates additions and general maintenance of the Wiki. Since I am sure most of these will be valid suggestions, so as they are completed in the Wiki the Topic will be deleted from this Forum, and this will act as reminder to anyone updating the Wiki of the jobs still to be done.

Moderator: HansR

sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Observations for the migrated Wiki to the hosiene server

Post by sfws »

If you experience any issues relating to the migration then either start a topic in the "General" forum (preferred) ...
It appears that after migration, any reader with no existing access can create a Cumulus Wiki account. Unless I am wrong, one person has already created two accounts that appear to be SPAM, i.e. just for promoting their web sites!
On the old host, there was at least an attempt to prevent SPAM, and there were many requests to create accounts that had to be blocked (or ignored). The new administrators of Wiki have to accept they need to watch what happens there.
An updated message is also needed in the pink area!
Last edited by sfws on Mon 31 Oct 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bookworm

Re: URGENT: The migrated to hosiene Wiki

Post by HansR »

Noted.

This message should have been posted in the forum for the wiki as @freddie indicated on the wiki opening page. I'll make a message there.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Action Done: The migrated to hosiene Wiki

Post by sfws »

Freddie's instruction viewtopic.php?p=167147#p167147 specifies this "General Discussion" sub-forum. I even quoted what Freddie wrote in my original post. This "General" sub-forum does include a significant thread about the Wiki, and that may be why Freddie suggested it.

Freddie has already seen my post, and taken action, deleting the (it had gone up to) 4 spam users, and blocking unauthorised user creation. I have edited my original post to update the subject to that I have used for this post.

The message on Main Page of Wiki was changed a week before, and changed again just after, migration by Ken True. The after message by Ken specified use of a PM, which I ignored because Niall had specified a different preference.

I had not previously noticed someone had changed the message on Main Page of migrated Wiki again a couple of hours later.
It is true that the message does now suggest the Suggestions for updates and additions to the Cumulus Wiki sub-forum.

EDIT: Since I wrote this post, and my preceding one, someone has moved the entire topic to the Wiki suggestions sub-forum, so people may not understand I actually posted into "general discussion" sub-forum as per quote in earliest post!
Last edited by sfws on Mon 31 Oct 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Action Done: The migrated to hosiene Wiki

Post by freddie »

Apologies for the confusion in where to post about issues - I had quite forgotten there was a specific sub forum.

Good shout from @sfws about account creation - left commented out in the config after I had been doing some testing.

@sfws the second edit to the message on the Wiki landing page was done by Ken - see the history.

@sfws the pink notification area has been updated.

@sfws we are watching! :D
Freddie
HansR

Re: URGENT: The migrated to hosiene Wiki

Post by HansR »

HansR wrote: Mon 31 Oct 2022 9:57 am Noted.

This message should have been posted in the forum for the wiki as @freddie indicated on the wiki opening page. I'll make a message there.
As all seems clear now I deleted that message to avoid confusion.
Hans

HansR

Re: Observations for the migrated Wiki to the hosiene server

Post by HansR »

So far I have the following observations:
  1. A commit of a small edit takes roughly 25 seconds which is somewhat slow. In the old situation that was 10x faster.
  2. Setting the protection of a page with cascading ticked does NOT cascade the protection to the pages referred to on the page.
Hans

freddie

Post by freddie »

HansR wrote: Wed 02 Nov 2022 9:57 am So far I have the following observations:
  1. A commit of a small edit takes roughly 25 seconds which is somewhat slow. In the old situation that was 10x faster.
  2. Setting the protection of a page with cascading ticked does NOT cascade the protection to the pages referred to on the page.
Yes, I just tried a small edit and saw the same behaviour as (1). The server has plenty of resource so it must be an optimisation I can do somewhere. I will look into this at the weekend.
For (2) I don't know - I will take a look after work.
Freddie
HansR

Post by HansR »

freddie wrote: Wed 02 Nov 2022 1:09 pm Yes, I just tried a small edit and saw the same behaviour as (1). The server has plenty of resource so it must be an optimisation I can do somewhere. I will look into this at the weekend.
OK. While thinking of it I got the idea of maybe a missing index in the database.
Hans

freddie

Post by freddie »

HansR wrote: Wed 02 Nov 2022 2:18 pm
freddie wrote: Wed 02 Nov 2022 1:09 pm Yes, I just tried a small edit and saw the same behaviour as (1). The server has plenty of resource so it must be an optimisation I can do somewhere. I will look into this at the weekend.
OK. While thinking of it I got the idea of maybe a missing index in the database.
It's better now - enabled some nifty caching :D
Freddie
HansR

Post by HansR »

freddie wrote: Wed 02 Nov 2022 6:30 pm It's better now - enabled some nifty caching :D
That is lightning fast, immeasurably short ie I don't even have the time to start the chronometer. :clap:
Hans

access-mdb
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Raspbian OS

Post by access-mdb »

Yes, Freddie is an excellent coder, just make sure he doesn't have errant full stops, or was it missing ones Freddie! :lol: :groan:
freddie

Post by freddie »

access-mdb wrote: Wed 02 Nov 2022 9:21 pm Yes, Freddie is an excellent coder, just make sure he doesn't have errant full stops, or was it missing ones Freddie! :lol: :groan:
:lol: :lol: it was a missing one, and I'll never forget that day! I often mention it to junior programmers that I'm mentoring who are scared of making a mistake and breaking something :D
Freddie