Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

3.20.0 question

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

3.20.0 question

Post by Mapantz »

Hi Mark

I've updated to the latest version.

I used the "Update database table" in CMX, to add the extra columns.

I also used the creatmissing to make a new dayfile.txt so that all the new values have been added - that was all successful, with no errors.

Question; How do I now update my SQL dayfile table with the missing values? Would I just empty the table and run the import dayfile script?

Nice release btw! :)
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: 3.20.0 question

Post by mcrossley »

I haven't updated my table yet, but I'll probably just select the date and extra three values from the dayfile using a grid editor or Excel, then wrap the data in the boilerplate UPDATE dayfile SET ... Etc to create a SQL file
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I thought I'd try the import script.. not sure why, but it is extremely slow! It's taking like 5 or 6 seconds to add one row.

I've also just realised, the import script doesn't have the chillhours or 24 hour rain data. This could be a long day. :lol:

Edit: Script stops after 3 months of data

Tried using CMD: ExportMySql.exe dayfile, that isn't updated to add the new data.

Edit: I've given up with that idea. It's painfully slow at adding rows in. I'm not sure why?

I've used the import script dozens of times to import lots of data in to the monthly table, it's normally very fast. This is taking 10 minutes to add 3 months.
As the scripts need updating, i've just uploaded the table back to how it was.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I imported the dayfile into Excel, skiped all the columns except LogDate, ChillHours, HighRain24h, and THighRain24h

Moved the LogDate column to the end - leaving a gap, added extra columns for the boilerplate, reformatted the logdate to yyyy/mm/dd
and ended up with this...
Capture.jpg
Saved that as a TSV file, opened the TSV in a text editor and removed all the tabs and you end up with this...

Code: Select all

UPDATE Dayfile SET ChillHours=24,HighRain24h=0.3,THighRain24h='14:40' WHERE LogDate='2010/01/13';
UPDATE Dayfile SET ChillHours=48,HighRain24h=0.6,THighRain24h='13:20' WHERE LogDate='2010/01/14';
Saved as a .sql file, then used phpMyAdmin to Import that SQL file to the table.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I don't have excel or any apps like that.

I don't want to buy office 365.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

There are plenty of free alternatives, I installed OpenOffice and my wife's laptop, does virtually everything Excel does.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I think I'll wait until ExportMySql.exe is updated, too much hassle for me.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I added in the missing fields to ImportCumulusFile.php
after TMaxHumidex
and before HWindGBearSym

Code: Select all

array('ChillHours',       'decimal(5,1) NOT NULL'),                        // 54
            array('HighRain24h',    "decimal(6,$rainDec) NOT NULL"),            // 55
            array('THighRain24h',   'varchar(5)'),                                          // 56
Seems to work as it should
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

You beat me to it Mapantz. I like ImportCumulusFile so I updated it as well, although I added my fields after, found my error then fixed it. I also added the $windBearField to the Wind Bearing symbol fields and they are now updating correctly with the compass points.

I must admit it is going slow, need to investigate that!!

PHP code attached if anybody wants it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

Mapantz wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 2:19 pm I think I'll wait until ExportMySql.exe is updated, too much hassle for me.
The 3.20.0 download zip includes an updated ExportToMySQL.exe, and the release announcement says that includes the new columns. Presumably, any column that already has value is ignored during any run?

Writing a PHP script that reads dayfile.txt and creates SQL exactly as in Mark's update example, but within a loop would not be hard.

But Libre Office is free, available for all operating systems, and it's spreadsheet functionality would do as Mark says, plus it is easy to use, probably easier than Excel. It even has database functionality, although that might be harder to learn.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

sfws wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 4:17 pm
Mapantz wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 2:19 pm I think I'll wait until ExportMySql.exe is updated, too much hassle for me.
The 3.20.0 download zip includes an updated ExportToMySQL.exe, and the release announcement says that includes the new columns.
I tried it, it didn't populate the last 3 columns.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

water01 wrote: Sun 21 Aug 2022 4:11 pm I must admit it is going slow, need to investigate that!!
Yep - I'm still going. Mine automatically stops after 3 months of entries, so I have to keep hitting refresh after it stops. I'm not even half way through my data yet. :shock:
The PIT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Wireless
Operating System: Windows 7 32 bit

Post by The PIT »

Looks like I will need to hold off this release until the speed humps get fixed.
I guess you have to back your mysql database just in case lunch occurs.

Mapantz I wonder if it's the size of the database that's killing things?

I used to use toad to look at the database but as the database grew Toad would burp at the size of the file and grind to a halt. Pity as it was a nice tool to look at your database data.
Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire England

www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
The PIT
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Wireless
Operating System: Windows 7 32 bit

Post by The PIT »

Can't you use mysql workbench to add the columns?
Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire England

www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Using my script the dayfile updated - all days since Jan 2010 - in about 20 seconds, and that is running on a Raspberry Pi.

ExportToMySQL adds missing rows, it does not add missing data to existing rows.