Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain(year to date) ?

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

philpugh
Weather Station: See Signature
Operating System: Debian 11 (RPi4)

Rain(year to date) ?

Post by philpugh »

Hans

How do you calculate the
Ryear (to date) (mm)
in the Records page?

I ask as the figure for 2018 (January in particular) is definitely incorrect. 957.4 mm is above the annual average here.
The NOAA report for the month shows 70.8mm which agrees with the Jan18log.txt and the value doesn't appear in
monthlyalltime.ini
I would like to know as I need to correct any wrong data in my system please.

BTW My Mysql database shows the correct value for the month rainfall in Jan 2018 !

Cheers
Phil Pugh
GW1000 + WH65/WH57/WH31; HP2551 + WS68/WH40A; GW2001 WittBoy
cumulusutils generating website
http://goosegate.uk/
AndyKF650
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Re: Rain(year to date) ?

Post by AndyKF650 »

Gosh that was a wet month!!!

It looks like the total rain fall for 2017 of 886.6mm was added to the January 2018 rainfall of 70.8mm. In 2017/2018 did you change the rain year end to arrive at the combined figure? You can see these figures in the YADR chart
philpugh

Post by philpugh »

Andy,

I haven't changed anything but looking at the yadr I notice it doesn't have a value for 1/1/2018. Looking at my dayfile.txt there was a 'glitch' in it. 1/1/18 was missing. I have been able to recreate the missing entry from my Maria database for the daily records. All looks well now! Thanks for the pointer!
Phil Pugh
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Strange.
I'll look at it when the desk cools down a bit (this is tablet comms).

[Edit]I see it has been solved already :D
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
philpugh

Post by philpugh »

Hans

I would be worth looking at your processing for the calculation as it was only a missing record for 1/1/2018 in the dayfile.txt that was the issue. I can't explain why it was missing but the Jan18log.txt was complete and so is my Mariadb for that day. Why it would add the previous year to the total must have something to do with it being the first day of the year?

Cheers
Phil Pugh
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

philpugh wrote: Sat 13 Aug 2022 3:40 pm I would be worth looking at your processing for the calculation as it was only a missing record for 1/1/2018 in the dayfile.txt that was the issue. I can't explain why it was missing but the Jan18log.txt was complete and so is my Mariadb for that day. Why it would add the previous year to the total must have something to do with it being the first day of the year?
[EDIT: 14/8] corrected some formulation.

OK, this took me some time because I started looking in the code determining the records (which I had never looked at again after creation). That's not where it is. When reading the dayfile I create a list of a structure of values with an entry for every day but while doing so I add some extra fields in the structure for WetPeriod, DryPeriod, MonthlyRain and YearToDateRain for which the value is determined in some additional processing.

For YearToDateRain that means CUtils simply adds the previous value in the list to the current value and stores it in the current value.

You guessed it: the previous value in your case that was the previous year total and because it missed the first of the month and the first of the year it did not reset the month total nor the years total. Then it simply starts adding the daily values for that month until it encounters a first day of the next month.

Now the question is do I regard this as a bug or as a data failure?
I see it as data failure: garbage in is garbage out; dayfile records need to be contiguous and if they are not, bad luck. It will correct after that month or after that year (in case the 1 jan is missing).

Any missing record will have similar processing but on the first day of the year unfortunately the resulting error is quite large because the previous value is the years total. Thanks for noticing ;)

Any error of this kind will correct automatically, the user has the responsibility for the data.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
philpugh

Post by philpugh »

Hans,

That sounds ok to me!

I still don't know where the missing line went as the dayfile and monthly log file have all the relevant data for 1/1/2018. Bit of a mystery to me although we do have power glitches in winter sometimes - the joy of living out in the countryside!

Cheers
Phil Pugh