Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Thinking of returning to the fold...things have moved on a bit!

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

GlynH
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: Pi 4B Buster

Thinking of returning to the fold...things have moved on a bit!

Post by GlynH »

Hi there,

Used to run Cumulus 1 back in the day when I had a Maplin/Watson/Fine Offset weather station but that failed @2010 or thereabouts and I've also moved on a bit since then! :)

Have been using a Davis Wireless 6162 VP2+ with Airlink and 6555IP logger and it just sits there 24/7/365 doing its stuff.

However I've just purchased the 6100 WLL and figured I might as well take advantage of my own weather data when its finally streaming around my network.

I have a spare Raspberry Pi4/4GB kicking around already set up with Buster, SSH, XRDP etc. but without a job to do it just sits there and the only thing I do is sudo apt update & sudo apt full-upgrade every once in a while.

I don't want to use an image as I have 5 other Pi 4's ticking over doing other stuff and so would want to keep the interface, access etc. the same across all devices.

So a couple of basic questions first - I am already halfway through reading the 13 page thread but just so I'm clear before I dive in;

1. Is a standalone install of Mono and Cumulus stable compared to the image setup?
2. Is it easy to pull data from the 6100 WLL without resorting to other tactics such as the virtual ports of old and/or other devices fitted to the console, pausing uploading of logger to allow another device to poll & collect data etc. Will Cumulus on a Pi just grab data directly from the 6100 WLL and/or network?

My plan is to retire the console & IP Logger as and when I get the 6100 up and running as I never look at it anyway! :roll:

If so then I'm hooked... ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Re: Thinking of returning to the fold...things have moved on a bit!

Post by rogerthn »

GlynH wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 5:28 pm 1. Is a standalone install of Mono and Cumulus stable compared to the image setup?
I've never tried the image setup, mainly because I like to have "full control".
Maybe you should consider upgrade to bullseye before sudo apt install mono-complete?
GlynH

Post by GlynH »

Thanks for the reply Roger,

Well the thing is if I upgraded one I'd have to upgrade the other five so as to keep them as identical as possible!

One runs Pi-hole to keep those nasty ads away, another is a Virtual Radar box that feeds FlightAware, FlightRadar 24, RadarBox and ADSB-Exchange and has been running 24/7/365 since it went online 576 days ago, one is for Home Automation with hundreds of devices, one is a Stratum 1 NTP server linked with GPS and the last a fully fledged networked SDR/Communications receiver.

Problem is I seem to have forgotten more than I have ever learned in the first place so happy to stay with Buster for as long as I can. :roll:

Like you I need to have full control which is why I have returned certain manufacturers devices as I would have been locked out of a device I paid for and only they could configure it remotely including such basic things as assigning a static IP address. Not on my network you don't!

The HA box runs an unsupported Supervised install and the VR box has also been built from scratch rather then use the recommended image setup and I'm happy with both.

Same applies to the planned Weather box...I'd much rather install what has to be installed on top of a perfectly working & soak-tested box setup how I like it instead of the taking the easy way and just image it.

The added bonus is I learn as I go...with help from forums like this of course! ;)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

GlynH wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 5:28 pm am already halfway through reading the 13 page thread
As an alternative/addition to reading that 13 page support forum thread, you could try dipping into parts of the Cumulus Wiki documentation, (which was generated based on Buster, long before Bulleye available).
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

GlynH wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 9:01 pm Like you I need to have full control which is why I have returned certain manufacturers devices as I would have been locked out of a device I paid for and only they could configure it remotely including such basic things as assigning a static IP address. Not on my network you don't!
I do understand and agree, especially regarding the quoted part above.
GlynH

Post by GlynH »

sfws wrote: Sun 24 Jul 2022 5:15 am
GlynH wrote: Sat 23 Jul 2022 5:28 pm am already halfway through reading the 13 page thread
As an alternative/addition to reading that 13 page support forum thread, you could try dipping into parts of the Cumulus Wiki documentation, (which was generated based on Buster, long before Bulleye available).
Thanks for the reply swfs, Some interesting reading inthe Wiki although the more I read the more questions I have! :lol:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-