Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

stevenson screen

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: stevenson screen

Post by HansR »

The geiger counter posts have been moved to the CumulusUtils forum.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

Some additional photo's on the current status after (almost) finishing the woodwork.
Note :
  1. The inside rail system, for hanging the boards on which to mount the sensors, top and half height
  2. The plafond and floor remain half open, planks not fixed
  3. The second roof under a slope will be a solar panel (not acquired yet)
  4. The Current state is ready for painting for which I wait for more stable, slightly warmer weather to do it outside
  5. Painting will be black inside, white outside
  6. Sensors in the screen may be (to start with) a WH32 (as main temp sensor), WH31 (for measuring inside screen T/H as extra sensor), and a good outside standard High/Low thermometer as real reference. Beside that my AirLink and geiger counter will be mounted plus any (electronic) sensor I think is useful. It is positioned within wifi range.
  7. For the RPi and ESP32 sensors will be powered by the off the grid solar system which will be integrated in the screen. In that sense it is not a classical Stevenson screen but an upgraded version of it. Difficult point is to get it through the winter without failing (low solar energy for two months)
  8. I may mount my webcam inside as well although I am quite happy with its current position.
  9. Construction and related ideas are developing as I go.
20220314_131347.jpg
20220320_161310.jpg
20220321_143159.jpg
20220326_114423.jpg
20220326_114447.jpg
20220326_114452.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

OK, The saga continues. The woodwork is now done and focus shifts on painting and the finishing of the roof (solar panel). Then the 'beehive panels' on which I will mount the sensors and sensor computers equipment will follow.

NB: solar panel and belongings have been ordered but will be delivered in a month ( :roll: ) just when I will be ou for some three weeks. So, this won't be quick :)
    20220414_122718.jpg
    IMG-20220417-WA0000.jpg
    20220416_131849.jpg
    20220423_100445.jpg
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Hans

geoffw
    Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
    Operating System: Windows 10

Post by geoffw »

I made one a few years back. I attend a furniture making facility in an old reduntant school, where one make whatever you want in wood with a skilled woodworker on hand to guide and help you. Hee is a link to my collections of woody bits i've made over the years since retiring:
    https://winterman.org.uk/Photos/Special ... index.html

Sadly it is little used now since I upgraded to Davis instruments a couple of years back. Just and Max/Min thermometer forgotten inside.
    Geoff
    HansR

Post by HansR »

That looks nice. Unfortunately I don't have a skilled wood worker at hand nor a lot of tools and I think mine is a bit larger as well. And true, with modern pws's it seems a bit an anachronism. But I intend to have sensors (PM and geiger counter to start with) in it beside some T/H sensor(s). And especially the solar power equiped sensors make the jump in time. At least that's the idea ;)

Nice woodworks btw!
    Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

OK, this will be my one but last post in this series, the last photo will be the screen in it's final location. However, today I finished painting and mounting the inside beehive system which will have the sensors mounted on its panels. I am pretty satisfied with this beehive system. Together with the solar panel I think it defines a kind of modernisation of the Stevensons screen. I have never seen anything like it anyway. The pws with its compact equipment had more or less made the Stevensons screen redundant. But the Ecowitt ecology and all kind of microprocessor based sensors which can be attached to the weather station required a re-evaluation of the screen. It was far more work than thought when I started, but I am glad I did it.

The first two sensors have been mounted (T/H and lightning) and what is left is a lot of electrical work for the PM sensor (AQM III) and the Geiger counter (when received :( ), I might add the arduino webcam - although I like it's current place - and anything which will come up and requires a sheltered environment and solar power.
      20220505_101302.jpg
      20220505_153526.jpg
      20220505_153536.jpg
      Hans

HansR

Post by HansR »

OK, finished and in situ. Total cost (excl the sensors of course) roughly € 200,-, paint being the unexpected expensive part. Poles are from extreme hard wood, impossible to drill, which a neighbor gave me. The whole thing is glued with polyurethane construction glue except the roof which is done with screws, bolts & nuts. One of the reasons it took so long was that I designed the construction as I went along and bought most things online when I needed it (Corona was still active when I started). I would advise everybody to think before and buy in one go :lol: Nevertheless, my station is almost complete now, just need some additional sensors.

I most likely will replace my main T/H sensor - which is now served by the WS80 - with the WH32D which according to its priority is apparently designed to be the main T/H sensor. But first I will compare the Stevenson Screen T/H behavior against the WS80 T/H behavior which you can follow on my site the ExtraSensor chart "Weerkast" (Dutch for Stevenson Screen ;) ) which will show a WH31A (T/H/D) against the WS80 temperature. Somewhere the beginning of June I will probably replace this by the WH32D if I am satisfied with the behavior.

This is my final post on my Stevenson Screen project.
        20220506_181156.jpg
        Hans

AndyKF650
        Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
        Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

Well that looks great, another project completed.
        Well done :D
        Dador
        Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus & Ecowitt

Post by Dador »

For a moment I thought it was a jumping dog to your right :lol: .

Let me know if you are satisfied with your cage measurements.

Even though I have Barani Meteo Shield, I am thinking about Stevenson's screen. However, I don't know if it's worth it.
        RayProudfoot
        Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
        Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Well done Hans. That looks a very professional job. :clap:
        Cheers,
        Ray, Cheshire.

HansR

Post by HansR »

Thanks guys :)

@Dador: I checked out your Barani Meteo Shield but I think if it is only for the temperature I would not advise building a Stevenson Screen and stick to the Barani. But if you have other (digital) sensors which need a protected, stable, environment I think the Stevenson Screen is the thing to have and you might consider building one.

My observations you can see here.
        Hans

weatherinlaw
        Weather Station: Oregon Scientific

Post by weatherinlaw »

Stevenson Screen for Sale!
        I have a genuine Met Office Stevenson Screen, which I was given from my son-in-law (who worked for the Met Office at the time) approximately 20 years ago, when they were being replaced.
        It is approximately 80cm long, 50cm wide, 60cm high, with a sloping double wooden roof and weighs about 15kg.
        Condition: It has been repainted twice, but is beginning to show its age, and one part is rotten. (see photos).
        I am asking £100 ono for it for collection from near Petworth, West Sussex. Courier delivery could be arranged at cost price.
        20220629_115554 (3).jpg
        20220629_115608 (1).jpg
        20220629_115744 (1).jpg
        20220629_115735 (1).jpg
        John Fitch
        johnrfitch@gmail.com