Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Help with new WX station

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

falkunmalti
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 10, Raspberry pi

Help with new WX station

Post by falkunmalti »

Hi

I am thinking of changing my Oregon Scientific station with either an Ecowitt or Ambient station. I would welcome some advice before I buy particularly with regard to compatibility with CMX and features. Please and thank you.

Joe
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Help with new WX station

Post by water01 »

Well all I can say is that I bought a Ecowitt HP2551 about a year ago and have not regretted it. Had an issue with the outside humidity sensor and Ecowitt swapped it no problem. Very good customer service.
David
falkunmalti
Weather Station: Oregon Scientific WMR200
Operating System: Windows 10, Raspberry pi

Post by falkunmalti »

Thanks for this David. Do you happen to know whether I can connect multiple displays to the 2500. With my Oregon Scientific and CMX, I have several displays throughout the house which all show the same data. Can I do this with the ecowitt? I use YAAC to send the data to my local rf network and YAAC accepts the wxnow,txt file produced by CMX.
water01

Post by water01 »

Yes you can buy separate consoles like the HP2551 console, it is called a HP2550-C and they just act as a repeater of the data stream sent to the HP2551.
David
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

Hi,

I am currently also replacing my old wh1080 with new Ecowitt, so a few questions too if I may…

1) If I have understood correctly, HP2550 console can produce data simultaneously to CMX and ecowitt.net cloud. In this scenario do I configure the console to upload to ecowitt cloud, and configure CMX to poll the console via HP2550’s local api?

2) Can I run more than one instance of CMX with only one HP2550 or do I need GW1000/1100 for that?

3) Why and when do you need to set the custom server upload to the HP2550 and point it to CMX host? And if you configure this, will you lose ecowitt cloud?

4) Is there any other reason or benefit to get a GW1000/1100 in addition to HP2550?
water01

Post by water01 »

To Answer your questions -

1) If I have understood correctly, HP2550 console can produce data simultaneously to CMX and ecowitt.net cloud. In this scenario do I configure the console to upload to ecowitt cloud, and configure CMX to poll the console via HP2550’s local api?

The HP2550 -c is a console only that works from a HP2551 or a GW1100 data stream. The HP2551 is a full weather station, but the GW1100 will require you to buy all the parts of the weather station as separate sensors to produce the same data stream as the HP2551. Both the HP2551 and the GW1100 require you to configure the upload to ecowitt.net AND a Custom server to CMX via the HTTP protocol (HP2551) or via a direct connection (GW1100).

2) Can I run more than one instance of CMX with only one HP2550 or do I need GW1000/1100 for that?

Again a HP2550-c is console only so you will need a HP2551 to produce weather results. Since it is a data stream over HTTP from a separate IP address multiple instances of CMX could theoretically feed off that data stream although running two instances of CMX on the same machine would seem pointless as they would produce identical results. Two or more instances of CMX on different computers could feed off that datastream but again I am not sure why.

3) Why and when do you need to set the custom server upload to the HP2550 and point it to CMX host? And if you configure this, will you lose ecowitt cloud?

See my answer to 1) above. Again this is is a HP2551 and you would not lose the Ecowitt cloud.

4) Is there any other reason or benefit to get a GW1000/1100 in addition to HP2550?

Again it would be a HP2551 and you do not need GW1100 in addition to it. It will handle all the sensors that the GW1100 can handle.

Hope that helps.
David
SamiS

Post by SamiS »

Water01, thank you for answering.

I used HP2550 as an example, because it woud confuse even more if I started to list different Froggit station types (which I will be using as an eu customer). Still, the console is the brains of the station regardless of the sensor setup or product codes…

Regarding the earlier questions.

I didn’t know that you could configure several targets simultaneously for the console to send to, this is clear now.

Regarding running several instances of CMX the reason would be making the system more failsafe, and also to be able to test new versions without risking the data and website functionality. They would run on different computers, one on raspberry and other on virtual server or maybe on windows pc. On my current setup I have two wh1080 consoles receiving the same data with two running Cumulus instances on raspberry and windows pc. Over ten years of data collection has proven this very useful via various different failures.

Ps. Have I got it right, that any on the ecowitt stations can’t buffer the data if network is down, and send it when the network works again? I know that CMX can retrieve missing data from ecowitt.net after being stopped, but it won’t help if the data is not there either.
water01

Post by water01 »

Ps. Have I got it right, that any on the ecowitt stations can’t buffer the data if network is down, and send it when the network works again? I know that CMX can retrieve missing data from ecowitt.net after being stopped, but it won’t help if the data is not there either.

That is correct if the power is not on the console, or if the network is down the data will not be stored, but it will start again when the network is up. If the data has not been stored on ecowitt.net it cannot be retrieved. Only solution I can think of is PSU on the station and the network!! But then if the internet is down?!?!
David
SamiS

Post by SamiS »

water01 wrote: Tue 28 Jun 2022 11:07 pm That is correct if the power is not on the console, or if the network is down the data will not be stored, but it will start again when the network is up. If the data has not been stored on ecowitt.net it cannot be retrieved. Only solution I can think of is PSU on the station and the network!! But then if the internet is down?!?!
Yes, I have ups protecting my computers and network. Of course the internet can still malfunction from isp side, but the local CMX would still get the data. A very good point about the console power, that I had missed in my thoughts. This is definitely one reason to consider adding a GW1100 to the setup, since it can easily be placed with the computers and therefore be on backup power, but the console will be located somewhere visible, and would probably need a separate ups to receive backup power, which is far from ideal.