Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Now displaying average wind speed and not real time wind speed

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

mdulrich
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 11

Now displaying average wind speed and not real time wind speed

Post by mdulrich »

I had my Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus console die and received a new console today. I set up the new console and and started the latest version of Cumulus MX. All the settings are the same as when I was running Cumulus MX with the old console. Everything seems to be working fine except the wind gauge is displaying the average wind speed instead of the real time speed. I can't seem to find a setting that does this. The wind speed on the console is displaying the real time wind speed. Running Weatherlink it displays the real time wind speed, so it appears to be something in Cumulus MX.

Is there a setting I'm missing somewhere?

Thanks,
Mike
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Now displaying average wind speed and not real time wind speed

Post by mcrossley »

Did you copy over the Cumulus.ini from the previous install?

You don't have the setting ...
Station Settings / Common Options / Advanced / Use wind speed for average calculation
enabled do you?
mdulrich
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by mdulrich »

The only thing that changed on my setup was the new console, same computer, same Cumulus MX installation. So it used the Cumulus.ini file that was being used with the old console.

Actually that setting was selected. I unselected it and now I'm getting the real time wind being displayed. I had stayed out of that area due to the dragon warning.

Thank you for getting me pointed in the right direction to solve my issue.

Mike
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

mdulrich wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 2:17 am I had stayed out of that area due to the dragon warning.
Actually, the "use wind speed for average" setting was not behind that dragon warning whenever you previously looked at settings!
Moving it to "advanced settings" was in recent release announcement.
These constant tweaks, often without any specific request for them, is one way MX makes any attempt at useful documentation pointless.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

mdulrich wrote: Sun 26 Jun 2022 2:17 am ... So it used the Cumulus.ini file that was being used with the old console.
Hmm, that setting change should not have happened then. Could you send me a copy of your original Cumulus.ini file via a PM - strip out your passwords and usernames please! - and I'll see what happens when I use it with the latest version of CMX.
broadstairs
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1003/GW1103/GW2000
Operating System: Windows 7 and Linux

Post by broadstairs »

Out of interest I just checked my settings and that advanced option is selected as well, I don't remember setting it before it was moved! As a matter of interest I have an old ini file, what is that setting called in the ini?

Stuart
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Stuart, that setting has to be enabled for Ecowitt stations due to the odd way they report wind speeds, it is forced on at every start-up even if you disable it.