Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Current Conditions

Discussion of the Weather34 web site template

Moderators: saratogaWX, weatherist34

The Dalek Hunter
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000B, Ecowitt GW2000
Operating System: macOS Sonoma on a Mac Mini M2

Current Conditions

Post by The Dalek Hunter »

Hi

I have just set up my site. I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus and a Davis WeatherLink Live

https://m0xgp.co.uk/cumulus

and I am having trouble with Current Conditions. I registered and got my CheckWX Metar API KEY but the Metar Station near to me - Holbeach - does not seem to give forecasts (TAF??)

I do not have a Dark Sky API key.

I noticed there was a PHP file called currentconditionsmetar34davis.php so I renamed this to currentconditionsmetar34.php and I now get current conditions I presume being read directly from my station. The only thing missing as you can see is "Average Temperature Last Hour"

Advice please
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Current Conditions

Post by freddie »

The Dalek Hunter wrote: Tue 17 Nov 2020 9:00 amthe Metar Station near to me - Holbeach - does not seem to give forecasts (TAF??)
Correct. Holbeach is an air weapons range not an airfield, so it doesn't have a TAF provided. It does have a range forecast (RAFOR) though, which is syntactically identical to a TAF.
Freddie
The Dalek Hunter

But if I choose Holbeach I get Current Conditions but nothing under hourly forecast - is this correct or can it be fixed?
freddie

Post by freddie »

Yes, you will get current conditions. I don't know how the code works for retrieving forecasts but I would hazard a guess that it retrieves TAFs only, and not RAFORs. Perhaps you could choose a nearby location that supplies TAFs, such as Marham (EGYM) or Coningsby (EGXC)?
Freddie
The Dalek Hunter

Not sure what I have done now but whatever Metar Station Code I enter there is now no data under Current Conditions at all!!
I have even tried the Heathrow Airport Code!!
I am certain my Metar API key is correct

I will delete everything and start again!!
billy
Weather Station: WLL / Davis VP2+
Operating System: RPi bullseye

Post by billy »

I am at the same stage - just established my site https://tillyspaws.com/hws/

All the things I've checked ... so far ... seem ok except there's no hourly forecast in the current conditions (module 7).

The Metar I am using is YPPH (Perth Airport) which is about 7 km away. https://metar-taf.com/taf/YPPH returns an hourly forecast, although there doesn't seem to be a temperature included.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Maybe there are alternatives that could be used, although other METARs nearby (YPJT - light aircraft, and YPEA RAAF base) seem to give the same result.
freddie

Post by freddie »

billy wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 7:17 amThe Metar I am using is YPPH (Perth Airport) which is about 7 km away. https://metar-taf.com/taf/YPPH returns an hourly forecast, although there doesn't seem to be a temperature included.
It is possible to include forecasts of maximum and minimum temperatures in a TAF but not many providers do this. I think it happens most often with TAFs from the USA.
Freddie
freddie

Post by freddie »

billy wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 7:17 am I am at the same stage - just established my site https://tillyspaws.com/hws/All the things I've checked ... so far ... seem ok except there's no hourly forecast in the current conditions (module 7).
I don't know exactly how the Weather34 sites work, but it is possible that the hourly forecast comes from the TREND section of the METAR. TREND forecasts are manually generated and are sometimes not included in the METAR message and are only promulgated to the local Air Traffic Control. Looking at the Perth (YPPH) METAR there isn't a TREND on the latest issue. If there was a TREND it would appear on the end of the message (after the pressure value - the part starting with Q).
Freddie