Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Second Anemometer

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

stefanbagnato
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows Server 2019

Second Anemometer

Post by stefanbagnato »

I am not seeing anything anywhere in the configs, so I am guessing this is a no, but is there (or will there ever be) support for a second anemometer? Use case: my anemometer is located with my station about 3m off the ground. However, due to the topography, the wind speeds are hardly an accurate representation. I was thinking about adding another anemometer located 10m up. However, no point in doing so without some type of CMX support.
Gyvate
Weather Station: GW1x00/WH2650WiFi/HP2553/GW2000
Operating System: Win 11 (PC/RPi), Raspbian 11,WSL

Re: Second Anemometer

Post by Gyvate »

As far as I can see CMX does not support a 2nd anemometer.
You could do this e.g. with weewx or with Meteobridge.
stefanbagnato

Post by stefanbagnato »

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Maybe something added for the future.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

stefanbagnato wrote: Fri 27 May 2022 2:51 pm I was thinking about adding another anemometer located 10m up. However, no point in doing so without some type of CMX support.
I hoped @mcrossley would reply to you as he has this sort of set up with anemometer away from rest of his Davis kit (as do several others who have also stayed quiet). It appears your Davis console can pick up wind speed from a second ISS, and therefore CMX will take wind speeds from your second anemometer.

I don't have any Davis experience, so I have to rely on what Mark posted at viewtopic.php?p=119903#p119903 and viewtopic.php?p=146825#p146825 (and mentions in several other posts - press button above labelled "Search" without entering anything in box before it, on form that then appears type "anemometer" as text, and "mcrossley" as author).
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

sfws wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 5:49 amI hoped @mcrossley would reply to you as he has this sort of set up with anemometer away from rest of his Davis kit (as do several others who have also stayed quiet).
See viewtopic.php?p=163941#p163941
Freddie
sfws

Post by sfws »

freddie wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:08 am See viewtopic.php?p=163941#p163941
I can't:
If I am not signed in, it says
The board requires you to be registered and logged in to view this forum.
And when I am logged in, it tells me
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Perhaps only forum administrators can see that forum?
Last edited by sfws on Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
freddie

Post by freddie »

sfws wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:11 am
freddie wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:08 am See viewtopic.php?p=163941#p163941
I can't - when I am signed in, it tells me
You are not authorised to read this forum.
Perhaps only forum administrators can see that forum?
Oops sorry, I hadn't appreciated that that post is in the beta testers forum. This is what it says:
I'll now be offline(ish) for a week.

I'll start catching-up again a week on Saturday.
Posted on the 27th May, so the Saturday in question will be 4th June.
Freddie
sfws

Post by sfws »

Ok, makes sense for information about people whose home location can be worked out from disclosed information, not to have their movements made public.

Freddie, you have your Davis anemometer up high,perhaps you can give an appropriate answer to the original post?
freddie

Post by freddie »

sfws wrote: Wed 01 Jun 2022 8:19 amFreddie, you have your Davis anemometer up high,perhaps you can give an appropriate answer to the original post?
I do, but it is the sole anemometer, not a second one. I use an additional Davis transmitter unit for my anemometer - that is covered in this article.
Freddie
stefanbagnato

Post by stefanbagnato »

Hm then seems like it's really not possible by any method, whether Davis or another vendor, since my idea was to pull the data in via CMX.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

If you have a VP2 then that only supports a single anemometer. No software can support a second one using a VP2 console.

If you also purchase a Weatherlink Live device, then that can support up to 8 anemometers, though you for have to declare which is your primary. CMX currently only supports a single anemometer via the WLL, though you can pick which one of the 8 that is.

But if your low down anemometer is giving rubbish readings, why not either just relocated it rather than buying a second, or just use the new one as your primary for CMX and you could still view the data from your original on weatherlink.com (assuming you buy a WLL as well).

Sorry for any typos, I pecked this out on my phone sat outside a pub!
stefanbagnato

Post by stefanbagnato »

No problem Mark. Hope you're enjoying yourself.
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

I think Multiple Anemometers would just create a mess.

I was a member of the Smallbore Rifle Club here for many years. We shot at a 50m range that was about 30m wide.
15 lanes/shooters & each lane had wind flags (ribbons) at the 20 & about 35m marks, all at about 4' off the ground.

The wind pattern was amazing to watch (and key to success), totally variable in both direction & speed in just a matter of metres.

Quite a lot of us also had Windmills or Aeroplane type anemometers & these highlighted the variations even more.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
watsonm
Weather Station: N96GY -but like Triggers Broom!!
Operating System: Raspberry Pi4 Vers:11 Bullseye

Post by watsonm »

Stefan,
It depends how much you want fiddle with the setup. This is based around a Raspberry Pi 4 (3 would be OK) and is just to give you another idea of how to go about this.

I have one Fine Offset transmitter connected to the temp and rain and another connected to the wind.
I have downloaded code onto my Raspberry pi to read the data streams directly from the transmitters (search for RTL-433 ) rather than the console.
This application can send the data to a hiveMQ broker (search HiveMQ) and I then wrote python code to read the data from the HiveMQ broker and
format an Easyweather data file which is read by CMX.
I appreciate it may be a bit too much if you're not into coding and fiddling but it can be done.

My anemometer is up on the garage roof (5 meters) and my temp/rain unit is lower down nearer top of fence level (2 metres'ish)

Pressure comes from a BMP388 sensor also connected to the Pi and Solar Data from a bodged Fine Offset Solar sensor rebuilt with it's own transmitter and batteries also on the fence (2.5 metres to avoid foliage)
Regards Mike
Raspberry Pi 4 Bullseye
Directly connected : BMP388 pressure sensor. DHT22 For internal Humidity/temp Sensor. PMS5003 Particle Sensor
Wireless connected: 3 (WS2083)Temp TXr's, WH57 Lightning Sensor, FO Solar sensor
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Another sub-optimum solution if you buy a WLL is to run two instances of CMX, each using a different anemometer. You'd then have to merge in the wind data from your lower sensor to your web site/database/whatever if you wanted to see them together on your website.