Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Very Basic Stuff

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

MuntyWeather
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Raspberry Pi/Windows 10

Very Basic Stuff

Post by MuntyWeather »

Hi Hans
Finally got some content on my Website (MuntyWeather.org). MS Edge wouldn't work but Google Chrome does (hurray!) . The 'home' graph of temperature and dew-point works and the dashboard shows the correct values. But the gauges don't update, also the airlink data doesn't show. The wind roses look good.
I run my website from a computer which is only on intermittently. I had hoped my website would update when I switch on my computer. Is this correct? A few tips for my next faltering steps would be welcome!
Thanks and regard
Ted
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Re: Very Basic Stuff

Post by HansR »

Hi Ted,

I looked at the site and it looks OK (and btw also with Edge!).

You say
I run my website from a computer which is only on intermittently.
I do not fully understand but I assume (confirmed by whois) that you run the website at a hosting provider and that CMX/CUtils is on a PC which is only on some hours per day.

Everything is about CMX. If you start your computer you should let CMX start as well (run is as a daemon) and since you have a Davis VP2, I also assume you have a logger so it can catch up the data.

As it is CMX which sends the realtime data to the website, your website only gets updated (values and gauges on the dashboard, the charts on the Home button etc...) if it gets data by CMX. That is why it is generally advised to have the CMX machine run 24/7 or at least during the times you expect people to look at the website (e.g. 8h00 - 23h00). I would definitely not switch it on when you need to write a letter and then switch it off again. Just let it run and prevent it to hibernate.

You can see that your site has not been updated since this morning (in the clocks you see the last update time: Last Update: 11:12:53.
So there it begins: configure your CMX so that it does the above. Another option is to get a Raspberry Pi to run cheaply a 24/7 CMX which does the job. But it is difficult to lay your hands on an RPi these days.

Once you have CMX configured well (as a daemon) and have the PC timings OK, than it becomes important to look at CUtils.
  1. Cutils should be run after the rollover (after it is finished) once a day.
  2. Then (because you have the AirLink) you should configure the airlinkrealtime.txt as an extra webfile to be processed and uploaded at realtime frequency.
  3. You should also run CUtils UserAskedData at the Normal Interval (See CMX configuration). You can do this - to start with - through the External Program feature of CMX.
  4. Check the Wiki for the features above.
Hope this helps, any other questions, just ask.

Regards,
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
HansR

Post by HansR »

And btw: could you update the link for the map, that is easier access ;)
Hans

MuntyWeather

Post by MuntyWeather »

Hi Hans
Thanks for reply. Have now got gauges working (Have even changed colours ! ) but still struggling with airlink. Get message 'Settings for AQI Normative Country for calculation in both Cumulus and CumulusUtils should match for useful results.' Tried to run external program 'cumulusutils' with
UserAskedData as parameter. To no avail so far. Not sure about your reference to 'Airlinkrealtime.txt' Also 'update link for the map'.

Thanks and Regards

Ted
HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Ted,

Looks good so far :)
MuntyWeather wrote: Fri 29 Apr 2022 11:23 am Get message 'Settings for AQI Normative Country for calculation in both Cumulus and CumulusUtils should match for useful results.'
In CMX settings=>Extra Sensor Settings=>Air Quality Settings you can set a country for the AQI (see this post for an explanation). These countries are:

Code: Select all

US, GB, EUAQI, EUCAQI, CA, AU, NL, BE (abbreviated)
and for Cumulusutils this is coded as

Code: Select all

US, GB, CA, EU, AU, NL, BE 
where EU stands for the CMX code EUCAQI. CUtils uses thus only one code for the EU. Cutils expects the codes for CMX and for CUtils to be the same. If they are not you get the warning message. It is NOT and error.

As the AQI is more or less a derivative of the actual concentrations (and afaics AQI are political motivated values) CUtils does not plot the AQI but shows reference lines belonging to a countries AQI. However, all tables used to drive this feature are copied from CMX and if you choose UK in CMX you have to choose that too in CUtils (parameter CountrySelected).

I think this requires a bit more explanation in the wiki. I will adjust it.
Also, I will not claim the AQI reference line are coded totally error free ;)
MuntyWeather wrote: Fri 29 Apr 2022 11:23 am Tried to run external program 'cumulusutils' with UserAskedData as parameter. To no avail so far. Not sure about your reference to 'Airlinkrealtime.txt'
The file airlinkrealtime.txt is also output of the AirLink module and you leave it just in the utils directory. You need to configure that as an extra webfile to get the file processed and transferred to your website as in the screenshot below (adjust the destination path to your requirement):
    Schermafbeelding 2022-04-29 170126.jpg
      When done you will find the table data to be update in 'realtime' just like the dashboard does.

When you display the AirLink chart, you need to have data. Those data are generated by Cutils itself because CMX does not deliver all data produced by the AirLink, CMX only delivers the current concentrations. Cutils also delivers the averages and the nowcast and a windindicator (windbarbs). Up to you to say what you want to display in the parameters. So when you configured what values you wish to chart, you need Cutils to generate the data. Preferably on - what is named - the Normal Interval. There are two ways to do that:
      1. You configure CUtils as an external program in the Internet Settings on the Normal Interval.
      2. You can use the windows scheduler to run it.
      MuntyWeather wrote: Fri 29 Apr 2022 11:23 am Also 'update link for the map'.
      You are on the map because you run a website and because you filled in the Website parameter in the [Maps] section of the inifile. The value of that parameter is not a valid URL (it does not point to your site. So make it: http://muntyweather.org/

That's it, hope this helps.
      Sorry it took some time but had to be behind the computer.
      You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
      Hans

MuntyWeather

Post by MuntyWeather »

Hi Hans

Thanks for help. Now working OK(?) Command-line window pops up every 30 secs, is this as expected? Thinking of getting Raspberry Pi. PiHut have Pi 400 for about £90. Would this be suitable? Would like to use existing HP w1907v display. Is this feasible?
      Thanks and regards, as always
      Ted
      HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Ted,

No, a CMD window popup every 30 secs is not what is to be expected. I have no idea how to avoid that or what is the cause. Sorry. But it seems to have something to do with something on the realtime frequency. As you did not have that before I assume it has to do with the airlinkrealtime.txt. Beats me. I don't think anybody else has this effect. Maybe somebody with more windows experience can help.

Wrt the Pi, yes a RPi 4 would be up to the task. If you can lay your hands on an RPi 3B+ it would probably be cheaper and could also do the work.

The monitor I don't know but checked on the net and it does not seem to have a HDMI interface but only VGA. That seems a bit old.
      Not sure of adapter VGA to HDMI exist :groan:
      But if the monitor won't work you could think of a headless (from your PC via the network SSH connection) terminal connection.
      You must be prepared to work Linux in a commandline environment so it is a bit different.

If you think of buying a monitor you have to be aware that an RPi4 has a mini (or is it micro) HDMI connection and an RPi3 has a normal sized HDMI.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
      Hans

MuntyWeather

Post by MuntyWeather »

Hi Hans
      Have now got my RPi 400. Pi Hut sold me a microHDMI to VGA adapter which seems to work OK. The RPi came with the operating system pre-installed onto the micromemory card (16 Gb). Have loaded the browser and can see MuntyWeather.org. But, of course, the goal is to run CumulusMX with CumulusUtils on the RPi. I have been reading the Wiki but so far have found it pretty impenetrable. There is something called an 'image', and there is something called 'PuTTY'. I'm not sure of the relationship of my Windows computer to the RPi (do I download the image to the Windows computer or the RPi?). Can you point me to the basic steps required?
      This could run and run!
      Thanks and regards
      Ted (BTW How do you add smilies?!)
      HansR

Post by HansR »

Hi Ted,

Let's begin with the smilies ;)

When you edit a message on the forum, you see a list of smilies on the right of of this white edit surface. If you don't see them, you need to edit your profile on the forum and switch them on. If they are there, just click and brighten your message :idea: :roll: :lol: :? ;)

With respect to running CMX (that is the first step, CUtils comes after that) the following: you already have the OS installed so you can forget the image. Because you also already have a running CMX system there is no pressure whatsoever to get it running on the RPi. I think therefore it may be a good moment to get acquainted to the system because it really is very different from windows.

I think you need to be able to do at least two things during which you will grow knowledge of the machine and the system:
      1. Installing CumulusMX - this will let you master the installation and understand basic problem solving / find things.
      2. Install the operating system - even when it is pre-installed, SD-cards will eventually fail some time. Just like a Windows harddisk :o In such case you need to be able to buy a blank card and install the OS (and from there go to point 1 or - in case you have a backup - restore the backup).
      So: let's start with point one and install CMX.

NOTE - there is also an additional point of attention: migrating your windows installation to the RPi. A lot has been written about this as well and searching the forum /wiki will no doubt get info. Look at that when you are ready for it.

Believe it or not, despite all questions asked here on the forum, for understanding and larger tasks, the WIki is your friend. There is a lot of truth in there but it is not infallible and sometimes confusing. So if anything surprises you, ask or point to a problem.

When installing with the OS already installed, the start is best from Install on Unix/Linux/Raspberry Pi OS. NOTE: this page is accessed from the Main Page and not from the Starting point for all MX documentation :roll: .

An alternate start for installing CMX could be this post which is an elaborate post on the subject. You start then from "Continue from here if you used 'Raspberry Pi Imager' installation", even if you didn't, it would be a nice place to begin.

Because you are working from a monitor (I assume also a keyboard connected and a network cable) and not through an SSH connection (so called headless) you will have to skip instructions related to the headless situation. But I do advise to prepare the Wifi.

This should give you a good start. If you are completely unfamiliar with Linux / Unix, you might try an easy book on it. It would also be wise to gain some experience in bash which is the command interpreter for Linux.

If you disagree with the road I sketched, you really can do an install with the image thereby throwing away the existing OS install, it would be faster but sooner or later you will have to get acquainted with the system.

I would just begin, make errors and do it all over again until you get the hang of it.
      I don't have a recipe but to err and learn. One advise: don't rely only on me, there are a lot of people knowledgeable on installing an RPI and CMX. For this, you may want to direct to the forum of MX or maybe others read this thread as well and may join in.

Good luck! :D
      Hans

sfws
      Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
      Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

HansR wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 5:25 pm not from the Starting point for all MX documentation
      Did you look (on that "starting point" page) under heading REFERENCE PAGES (FOR EVERYONE):?
      HansR wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 5:25 pm There is a lot of truth in there but it is not infallible and sometimes confusing.
      As said before, it is people who are newcomers, so know what is needed who are best placed to improve Wiki for MX. The Wiki started as a highly technical guide, because Cumulus 1 had a separate simple help system, both were largely maintained by developer Steve Loft.
      HansR

Post by HansR »

sfws wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 7:03 pm
      HansR wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 5:25 pm not from the Starting point for all MX documentation
      Did you look (on that "starting point" page) under heading REFERENCE PAGES (FOR EVERYONE):?
      Apparently not good enough: other title ;)
      sfws wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 7:03 pm
      HansR wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 5:25 pm There is a lot of truth in there but it is not infallible and sometimes confusing.
      As said before, it is people who are newcomers, so know what is needed who are best placed to improve Wiki for MX. The Wiki started as a highly technical guide, because Cumulus 1 had a separate simple help system, both were largely maintained by developer Steve Loft.
      True, one step at a Time. Important to know for every user.
      Hans

MuntyWeather

Post by MuntyWeather »

Hi Everyone
      I've decided to stick with my Windows setup for the time being. A couple of things have turned up recently:
      First up: A new user has appeared on the 'User Map' in North Florence, Alabama. but when I click on 'Website' MY website (Muntyweather.org) comes up. I would really like to see the weather in Alabama!
      My second query concerns weather statistics (I'm not sure if this is really a CumulusMX query). In March this year I had a telemetry failure from my VP2
      due to a supercap fault. This is now repaired, but the data gap (a couple of weeks) has corrupted the statistics and in particular Top10. I have edited the log file to remove the incomplete records but the Top10 values remain the same. I have tried running Cutils with 'Website' and when this didn't make a difference 'Top10'. Can you help?

Thanks and regards
      Ted
      HansR

Post by HansR »

MuntyWeather wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 10:45 am First up: A new user has appeared on the 'User Map' in North Florence, Alabama. but when I click on 'Website' MY website (Muntyweather.org) comes up. I would really like to see the weather in Alabama!
      Me too :) Point is that if the user leaves the address empty the link is empty which leads to the caller site. I will try in future to assemble a site from the FTP and other info I find in the config files if this parameter is empty. If I can't, I will indicate an empty link more clearly than it is now.
      MuntyWeather wrote: Thu 19 May 2022 10:45 am My second query concerns weather statistics (I'm not sure if this is really a CumulusMX query). In March this year I had a telemetry failure from my VP2
      due to a supercap fault. This is now repaired, but the data gap (a couple of weeks) has corrupted the statistics and in particular Top10. I have edited the log file to remove the incomplete records but the Top10 values remain the same. I have tried running Cutils with 'Website' and when this didn't make a difference 'Top10'. Can you help?
      Both existing top10 tools assemble their lists from the dayfile data. I think CreateMissing won't help you either when the standard logs have no data. If your base data do not exist it is simply not possible to fill in unless you create the data yourself.

Both TOP10 lists create theirs lists independently from each other, if one does encounter missing data, the other will as well. You have a very recent dataset, as it will get longer the top10 will correct itself unless you had really extreme data in that period.
      Hans

MuntyWeather

Post by MuntyWeather »

Hi Hans
      Just to say I've got CMX to run on my RPi400! But so far no data. I'm using the USB input but get the message 'error opening serial port. No such file or directory'. I notice that CMX has filled in the USB port as /dev/ttyUSB1. I have looked at wiki but no help. Any thoughts welcome.
      Regards Ted
      MuntyWeather

Post by MuntyWeather »

Hi Hans
      Forget my last post! I've just got it working! Very useful instruction (from freddie). I've got a few comments about 'records' and QC, but they can wait . :D Ted