Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Comparison of WS80 wind speeds against Davis VP2

GW1000 WiFi gateway
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Comparison of WS80 wind speeds against Davis VP2

Post by mcrossley »

Ah! You are probably right, that will have 2.5 second updates as that is determined by the SIM, just a shame it is sooo expensive when compared to the Ecowitt units. Maybe Ecowitt should make a Davis compatible version!
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Wed 11 May 2022 10:01 pm ... just a shame it is sooo expensive when compared to the Ecowitt units.
Second that. My Davis solar sensor broke and it would cost me € 200 to replace. I bought a whole Ecowitt ecology for less than that and added some extra sensors. I can buy a lot of batteries and have a lot of thoughts about Ecowitt improvements for that economic difference. If Davis wants to survive, they must become more economic. Their advantages are not that big. Yes Ecowitt sometimes annoys but really what is the weight of annoyance?

And having said that: many thanks for the effort of making the Ecowitt supported by CMX.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

HansR wrote: Thu 12 May 2022 6:46 am ... for the effort of making the Ecowitt supported by CMX.
... despite their best efforts to make it much harder than it should be! :lol:

The direction deviated a bit yesterday after I posted that graph above...
compare-vp2-ws80-dir2.jpg
I did have a thought about the lower gust speeds for the WS80. The spec says that it only samples for 1 second out of the 4.8 seconds interval when the wind speed is above 11 mph (5 m/s). I wonder if it is just missing them? There again the Davis gust is the average over 2.5 seconds. I don't really understand why they only sample for 1 second above 5 m/s, below 3 m/s (6 mph) they sample for 4 seconds. Seems weird to me, especially as gusts are normally a 3 second average.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Looking at the first gust graph and this one to a lesser extent, the WS80 gusts seem to match or exceed the VP below that 6 mph threshold. Above that they only very occasionally match or exceed.
compare-vp2-ws80-gust2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.