Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Aercus WS1093

Weather station hardware not applicable to any other subforum.
grumpy old man
Weather Station: ws1093
Operating System: W10

Aercus WS1093

Post by grumpy old man »

The low battery indicator was showing, so I changed batteries in both transmitter and base unit.

Now when following installation of new batteries the display on base unit flashes on and off accompanied by a clicking sound. The base unit doesn't connect to transmitter.

I have tried taking batteries out and leaving for 2 mins + before reinserting but the problem persists.

How can I resolve this issue.

gom
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Re: Aercus WS1093

Post by Super-T »

The only place that can produce a click would be the internal speaker so maybe there is some sort of alarm sound.
Does the base unit display all the inside information correctly?
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Actually that looks like my old FineOffset 1080, and that I believe had a small relay to switchover the power from battery to USB?
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

I tried removing and replacing the USB on a spare ws1093 but there is no relay click when replacing the USB lead. I thought they isolated the batteries with a diode as I don't remember seeing a relay in any of the base stations I have dis-assembled.
Ned
Weather Station: WS2083 (aspirated)
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Ned »

I've got an old WH1091 no longer in use, so I took the back off and found a relay, which does click when plugging to USB power.
So it seems there was no consistant method of adapting to external power in these old FO stations.
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

grumpy old man wrote: Mon 09 May 2022 6:10 pm The low battery indicator was showing, so I changed batteries in both transmitter and base unit.
... The base unit doesn't connect to transmitter. ... How can I resolve this issue.
The low battery indicator is in respect of transmitter only, so only those batteries needed changing.
The base unit takes power via USB connection, when computer is on, so its batteries hardly ever need changing.

A similar issue to yours appears in viewtopic.php?p=154202#p154202 .
You should move base unit very close to transmitter until connection is successful.
Normally one will change batteries in transmitter first , then reset base unit, and re-connection follows shortly.
It might take a few transmissions to "lock in", and you should wait for that without touching anything.
You can confirm that base unit is successfully working off the batteries, just by seeing display is showing, when USB disconnected from computer.
You can confirm the transmitter is working after change of batteries by looking for a faint flash of a LED when it transmits (may need to put something round you and transmitter to make it dark enough to see this).
Try all this and report back success or failure.

If it is clicking between power sources, that suggests maybe your USB lead is dodgy or your base-unit battery connection metal strips need a bit of attention, cleaning, or bending, to make better contact with the batteries? If noise is due to something else, perhaps the touch screen needs a clean?

There is lots of information about these stations in the relevant sub-forum of viewforum.php?f=13.
I believe spare parts are still available for your model, so if problem persists, it can be solved another way.
It is just possible that some part of the electronics has developed a loose connection, as last resort, search the very long viewtopic.php?t=2685 posts for further information.
grumpy old man
Weather Station: ws1093
Operating System: W10

Post by grumpy old man »

Thank you for your replies.

The problem has been resolved. I left batteries out for 24 hrs and then connected base unit via usb cable to pc and base unit started up in the normal way. I then reinserted batteries and base unit connected to transmitter and recording has recommenced.

gom