Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX release 3.16.1 (build 3183) - 06 May 2022

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

If you are interested in supporting Cumulus then maybe you would like to contribute to the maintenance of the Wiki? This need not take hours of your time - just a half hour here and there can make a big difference, particularly if many people are doing this. Any contributions are very welcome, whether they involve new content or editing of existing content. It will be very helpful to current and future users of Cumulus software if the Wiki is kept well-maintained and current. If you are interested then please contact forum user saratogaWX and ask for a Wiki account.

It would be nice to save the lightning data to a file

Please DO NOT use this to publish your entire wish. This Forum is for specific suggestions to enhance the usability of Cumulus MX for all users, NOT your personal requirements. Please check this forum and the rejected forum to make sure you are NOT posting a DUPLICATE suggestion. It will be heavily monitored by Admin and Mark Crossley to determine the feasibility and the difficulty of the suggestion. Those Topics that are deemed inadmissible will moved to the rejected Forum. The remaining Topics will be the Accepted list of future developments, and when our voluntary development group adds it to a build, the build number will be added to the Topic title.
wicher
Weather Station: GW1000 433/868MHz
Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04

It would be nice to save the lightning data to a file

Post by wicher »

All data collected by the weather station is saved by CMX on the local computer, except lightning data. The last lightning data is displayed only on the Extra sensors → Lightning screen.

They propose to add to CMX a record of lightning data in a separate file containing 3 columns:
1 - Number od strikes (1 2 3 4 ..)
2 - Date and Time of strikes e.g 05.05.22 17:15:36
3 - Distance of last strike .

A new file e.g. Ligth202205.txt would be created every month.
I hope Mark C will consider this suggestion
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: It would be nice to save the lightning data to a file

Post by Mapantz »

wicher wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 8:37 pm All data collected by the weather station is saved by CMX on the local computer, except lightning data. The last lightning data is displayed only on the Extra sensors → Lightning screen.

They propose to add to CMX a record of lightning data in a separate file containing 3 columns:

The problem I see there, is that if you don't record a strike for 280 days (as I did) then you'll have a text file full of lines saying the same date, time and distance.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Mapantz wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 9:46 pm
wicher wrote: Thu 05 May 2022 8:37 pm All data collected by the weather station is saved by CMX on the local computer, except lightning data. The last lightning data is displayed only on the Extra sensors → Lightning screen.

The problem I see there, is that if you don't record a strike for 280 days (as I did) then you'll have a text file full of lines saying the same date, time and distance.
@wicher: second that, I have requested this before.
@mapantz: no, that is not necessary. If you only log recorded strikes, distance and number of, when you read, you can fill in the empty ones if you need them. Not recorded means empty. Saves a lot of space indeed.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl/CMX4
CMX build 3182 ● Ecowitt GW1100/WS80/WH40 ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspberry OS 5.10.103 ● Mono 6.12.0.122
CMX build 40xx ● Ecowitt GW1100/WS80/WH40 ● RPi 4B ● Raspberry OS 5.15.32 ● .NET 6.0.1
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Buster Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Unlikely to happen in the near future, but you can always create your own log file using bash.

Just create a web tag file file with the data you want in it, then set the interval program in CMX to do something like....

Code: Select all

cat webtagfile >> lightning.log
You could even get more creative and put the monthly file name in another web tag file and use that as the destination, something like...

Code: Select all

while IFS= read -r file; do
  cat datawebtagfile >> "$file"
done < "filenamewebtagfile"
wicher
Weather Station: GW1000 433/868MHz
Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04

Post by wicher »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 06 May 2022 8:02 am Unlikely to happen in the near future, but you can always create your own log file using bash.
I'm a mathematician and I deal with the processing of meteorological data. I do not send data to any website. I need local data.
If you do not have time now, maybe in the future an idea about it:
If (new lightning data appears - > save it to a file)
mcrossley wrote: Fri 06 May 2022 8:02 am Just create a web tag file file with the data you want in it, then set the interval program in CMX to do something like....
You could even get more creative and put the monthly file name in another web tag file and use that as the destination, something like...
My guess is you are suggesting some modifications to the source program. Unfortunately, my knowledge in this field is small.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Buster Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

wicher wrote: Fri 06 May 2022 9:19 pm My guess is you are suggesting some modifications to the source program.
No, this is standard stuff you can do with CMX as it is. When I have time I can flesh it out a bit more for you, though I think Hans should be able to make sense of it?

It will create a log file with lots of entries the same though - like the other log files.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 06 May 2022 10:11 pm ...though I think Hans should be able to make sense of it?
Actually I was kind of puzzled to what you meant by it, but as I am currently occupied with some personal matters and will be away soon for some three weeks, there is not much to be expected from me on the short term. Sorry. May look at it again when I am back.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl/CMX4
CMX build 3182 ● Ecowitt GW1100/WS80/WH40 ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspberry OS 5.10.103 ● Mono 6.12.0.122
CMX build 40xx ● Ecowitt GW1100/WS80/WH40 ● RPi 4B ● Raspberry OS 5.15.32 ● .NET 6.0.1