Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Instructions: Installing CumulusMX on Raspberry Pi

Post by mcrossley »

If the admin interface stops responding after you configure the station it could be that Cumulus cannot communicate with the station. You need to check the MXdiags log file.

Unfortunately the way Cumulus works at present the local web interface is not brought up until after the station initialises. So if the station is endlessly trying to open a TCP connection that it cannot access or a port that is not there, the web interface may never come up.
Harry ITO
Weather Station: DAVIS Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspbian 10.7

Post by Harry ITO »

Hi Cortmalaw,

Thank you for your advice. I think that there are no problem in my network and time which you mentioned.

I'm in Japan, so the time zone is JST and the time "on Saturday 06 Feb at 01:42" is true in Japan.
It cause from time zone of Japan. NTP is also positive.

Code: Select all

timedatectl

Local time: Sat 2021-02-06 08:14:52 JST
Universal time: Fri 2021-02-05 23:14:52 UTC
RTC time: n/a
Time zone: Asia/Tokyo (JST, +0900)
System clock synchronized: yes
NTP service: active
RTC in local TZ: no
I'm using SSH and I can reach the IP address even now, so my wifi setting is healthy.

sudo systemctl status cumulusmx

● cumulusmx.service - CumulusMX service
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/cumulusmx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2021-02-06 02:52:28 JST; 5h 29min ago
   Docs: https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Main_Page
   Process: 381 ExecStart=/usr/bin/mono-service -d:/opt/CumulusMX CumulusMX.exe -service (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 387 (mono)
   Tasks: 8 (limit: 2062)
   CGroup: /system.slice/cumulusmx.service
           └─387 /usr/bin/mono /usr/lib/mono/4.5/mono-service.exe -d:/opt/CumulusMX CumulusMX.exe -service

Feb 06 02:52:28 cumulusmx systemd[1]: Starting CumulusMX service...
Feb 06 02:52:28 cumulusmx systemd[1]: Started CumulusMX service.

# I masked my IP address and MAC address replacing digit as ** in below

hostname -I

192.168.**.65 

ifconfig

eth0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        ether b8:27:**:**:**:**  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        RX errors 0  dropped 0  overruns 0  frame 0
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX errors 0  dropped 0 overruns 0  carrier 0  collisions 0

lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING>  mtu 65536
        inet 127.0.0.1  netmask 255.0.0.0
        loop  txqueuelen 1000  (Local Loopback)
        RX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)
        TX packets 0  bytes 0 (0.0 B)

wlan0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST>  mtu 1500
        inet 192.168.**.65  netmask 255.255.255.0  broadcast 192.168.**.255
        ether b8:27:**:**:**:**  txqueuelen 1000  (Ethernet)
        RX packets 2283  bytes 389479 (380.3 KiB)
        TX packets 274  bytes 46913 (45.8 KiB)
Cortmalaw wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 7:57 pm Also worth trying might be to re-do the installation step where you edit (using your PC) the SD card file 'wpa_supplicant.conf'. You can go back and do that step again, making sure to make no typing errors. That file is the one that tells the RPi how to connect to your network. It needs 4 spaces (not a tab character) in each of the indented lines, and make sure that after 'network' and at the end you have used braces (curly brackets) { } and not parentheses ( ) or square brackets [ ].
I think 'wpa_supplicant.conf' is positive in my setting because I can do SSH connection to RPi and NTP is active as I mentioned above.
Cortmalaw wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 7:57 pm Also, you haven't just moved the RPi away from your router so that it now has a bad connection? I suppose that could be a cause. Move it closer for now, but long term we can try forcing it to use the longer range 2.4GHz WiFi instead of 5GHz - that involves adding an extra line into 'wpa_supplicant.conf'
No.
The RPi is running same place from 1st power on to now which locates close to my wifi router, applox. 3 feet. ;)
Harry ITO

Post by Harry ITO »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 05 Feb 2021 11:12 pm If the admin interface stops responding after you configure the station it could be that Cumulus cannot communicate with the station. You need to check the MXdiags log file.
My CumulusMX is running on RPi standalone from 1st power on to now, not connected weather station.
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Cortmalaw »

OK.

I I understand Mark correctly, it means that once you actually connect the weather station to the RPi, the missing web interface will re-appear.
Harry ITO

Post by Harry ITO »

Cortmalaw wrote: Sat 06 Feb 2021 1:30 am I I understand Mark correctly, it means that once you actually connect the weather station to the RPi, the missing web interface will re-appear.
Thank you Cortmalaw, I understood that is one of specification of CumulusMX and will do it.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I will fix that in the next release so the admin interface is started before the station.
Ruud
Weather Station: David Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Linux

Post by Ruud »

After over a year the sd card in the raspberry pi was a bit corrupt so i decided to do a fresh install on a new card.
This time using the pre-build raspberry pi image.

After installation i overwrote the cumulus.ini file and the data folder to the new install.
Everyting works fine again including all monthly and alltime records, however the charts (recent and historic) were empty.

Any idea what i have messed up during the process?
hintditte
Weather Station: YU`
Operating System: VJUY

Post by hintditte »

I have a Davis Vantage Vue with 6555 IPLink interface. It uploads to the Davis WeatherLink website. So, for me, I will need to either download data from there or grab the data from the interface (I have WeatherLink software so I know the port number and, of course, I know the ip address of my Davis interface.) mobdro
Cortmalaw
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Raspbian

Post by Cortmalaw »

@hintditte
I think you've posted in the wrong thread for help on this!

Suggest you search for an appropriate IPlink or WeatherLink thread and ask your question there.
HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

Post by HansR »

Tbh: I strongly disagree this thread has been superseded by the availability of the RPi image as shown in the first post.

Especially when people are migrating from C1 which may run under a diffrent locale you are in dire straights as the image installs standard with locale GB and starts running as a daemon immediately (afaics). This will definiely create problems which may be hard to solve by a beginner and will definitely requires the user to meddle with the data in depth.

One (really not too difficult solution) is to install the OS first, then install CMX and set the locale and then get the data from the old C1.
Then and only then CMX should be started.

The image is nice when starting from scratch.

Please remove that red warning line, people should always be able to install the OS and CMX separately by themselves. It is not all that difficult now with the Raspberry Imager software and a CMX installer. So figuring they will have to learn anyway.

The locale is important.
Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
dane
Weather Station: Rosenborg 68700
Operating System: Win10 Ult., 64-bit, RaspberryPi

Post by dane »

Thank you for this extremely useful set of instructions!
I sincerely hope you will keep them updated!

I decided to update my CumulusMX and gave the pre-built version a try. No luck: cumulusmx start failed. Probably due to my old Pi-model.

So I went back to this thread that has worked for me before.

And ran into a problem early on with putty: username: pi password: raspberry didn't work: access denied
Took me a while to find out that the most recent version of Raspberry Imager: 1.7.2 has a "Settings" cogwheel where you specify username, password, SSH, WIFI etc. before the image is written to your SD-card.
Once I did that, everything went smoothly, and I ended up with an uptodate CumulusMX.
Ib
Rylands
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Rylands »

Ok - First things first - I don't really know what I am doing. I simply follow instructions and hope that everything works. When it doesn't (typical for me!!) I post to these forums in the hope that somebody CAN help! So here I go again.

I have Cumulus installed on a Raspberry Pi, and until around a month ago, the data was being loaded reliably to my site. Then the site crashed, and I have had to start all over again.

From memory, Cumulus can send my realtime.txt file to my website. I don't really understand that bit....but all of a sudden it's not arriving.

I'm not sure if it is because I have changed my host (kept all directories etc the same), or some other reason.

I can see that both my Davis Weatherlink station, AND cumulus are connected to my Wifi. My cumulus IP address is 192.168.1.2.. but I don't know how to open Cumulus and see if there is a problem there. I have tried to open http://192.168.1.2:8998 but get a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED message.

I don't know what to do from here.

Can anybody help out please?
SamiS
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551 & GW1100
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS

Post by SamiS »

Rylands wrote: Sun 22 Jan 2023 9:59 am I can see that both my Davis Weatherlink station, AND cumulus are connected to my Wifi. My cumulus IP address is 192.168.1.2.. but I don't know how to open Cumulus and see if there is a problem there. I have tried to open http://192.168.1.2:8998 but get a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED message.

I don't know what to do from here.

Can anybody help out please?
It is kind of hard to give good advice without knowing how much you can or can’t do with rpi / linux in general, but lets try.

Connection refused on cmx local console probably means that cumulus is not running (assuming the ip is correct). Can you ping it? Can you login by ssh to it? Or if it is connected to a display and kb/mouse, can you login from there? Are you using the preinstalled cmx rpi image or have you installed rpi normally and added cmx to it? If it is your own install, are you running cmx as a service?

Things to check:
Is there a process named mono running? Use commands top or ps.
What do the log files say? On cmx install folder there is a subfolder named MXdiags. There you will find serviceconsolelog.txt and another log files that are named by date and time when cmx was started. Look at the end of the latest one, it can give clues if and why cmx stopped. Or you can do a zip of the MXdiags log files and send it here so we can take a look.

Sami
Rylands

Post by Rylands »

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your response.

When I set this up around 2 years ago from memory, I'm pretty sure I used the image.

The pi is connected to a power source and then to wifi. There is no connection to a display etc.

I vaguely remember that I used to be able to connect via ftp...but not sure if I have those instructions saved. At the very least, the ftp password could be a problem.

As for ping(ing) it or connecting by SSH...well maybe there are instructions in this forum on how to do that....but again I'm guessing that this might be username/password dependent.

In that case, would a full reinstall of CMX be required?
Rylands

Post by Rylands »

So some further troubleshooting this morning (Eastern Australia time!)

I have 2 pi's, so trying a fresh install on pi no.2.

Installed the image, and amended the wpa_supplicant.conf file with my wifi details.

Rebooted the pi.

It doesn't appear on my network, and doesn't connect using the ip address and :8998 OR cumulusmx:8998.

If I disconnect pi 2, and connect pi 1, it DOES show under my network, but again, cannot access from IP or cumulusmx:8998

Thoughts?