Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

How to: Monthly graphs

Discussion of the Cumulusutils tool and website generator.

Moderator: HansR

HansR
Weather Station: GW1100 (WS80/WH40)
Operating System: Raspberry OS/Bullseye

How to: Monthly graphs

Post by HansR »

When I do a tour around the CUtils sites, I often see the Monthly Rain and/or Temperature graphs with a coloured flat line and a black flat line (see screenshot). The black line is the line of the Normal Values, the coloured lines is your data. The reason for this is that you did not fill in your Normal Values.
    Schermafbeelding 2022-04-01 142019.jpg
      There are two ways to handle this:
      1. Switch off the view of the Normal Values line by setting:

Code: Select all

UseNormalTempReference=off
           UseNormalRainReference=off

The parameters can have the values both | Normal | StationAverage (default = Normal) for meaningful content.
      2. Fill in the normal values in the Cumulus.ini file (before editing this file, stop CMX!) in section [NOAA] and leave the parameter as in 1) to either both | Normal | StationAverage :

Code: Select all

NOAATempNormxxx (xxx is the month code)   and
        NOAARainNormxxx
        You can find the normal values at the nearest weather station of your national Meteo Service (sometimes you have to calculate them yourself from raw data supplied)
      Both methods will lead to a readable, meaningful chart
      You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
      Hans

https://meteo-wagenborgen.nl
      CMX build 4017+ ● RPi 3B+ ● Raspbian Linux 6.1.21-v7+ armv7l ● dotnet 8.0.3
      AndyKF650
      Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
      Operating System: RPiv4 64bit Linux 12 Bookworm

Re: How to: Monthly graphs

Post by AndyKF650 »

Ah so that was why I spent ages getting the NOAA report normal values to work ;)

The last time I looked the Met Office average values seemed to be getting a bit long in the tooth maybe they will update them soon.
      HansR

Post by HansR »

AndyKF650 wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 1:19 pm Ah so that was why I spent ages getting the NOAA report normal values to work ;)
      :lol:
      AndyKF650 wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 1:19 pm The last time I looked the Met Office average values seemed to be getting a bit long in the tooth maybe they will update them soon.
      'a bit long in the tooth' that's one for the collection :)

But to the point of those values: I had to take the day values for the nearest official station and had to calculate the Normal values (average over the last 30 years, updated every ten years) myself. If you are handy with a spreadsheet it should not be too difficult although the algorithm for rain and temperature differ of course. And once in ten years... is doable. In NL they only calculate I believe for three stations which in my case were too far away.
      Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Hi Hans

I looked at the Met office records for Jersey Airport, about 10 miles away, and the records start at 1961- 1990 and go up to 1981-2010. The current record for 2001- 2020 is not yet published. I will add these records to by long term average values in the next day or so.

A quick look at the historic record clearly shows the average maximum temperature has increased from 13.54C to 14.18C and the average minimum temperature has increased from 8.29C to 8.80C. Whilst this does not appear to be particularly high I have noticed that it is becoming easier to grow more Mediterranean plants on my allotment without any special protection. Lemons and Olives are particular examples of crops that 25 years ago would not have been possible.

Of course temperature is one variable and interestingly the annual rainfall has also increased from 836.62mm to 865.8 mm and the sunshine hours increased from 1,848.17hrs to 1,904.79hrs.

Where will it all end?
      HansR

Post by HansR »

AndyKF650 wrote: Fri 01 Apr 2022 5:52 pm Where will it all end?
      Without being pessimistic: probably in the grave ;)
      But still it is interesting to follow the path we're all taking. And to be honest, I don't see climatology/CO2 things turn for the good at the moment.
      So what can we do? Follow what is happening I think. And publish websites 🤷‍♂️

Btw: Britain may have not yet a one degree increase but only 3/4, here on the other side of the north sea it appears to be slightly more.
      Hans

AndyKF650

Post by AndyKF650 »

Well that was a trial, setting up the amended long term averages in the NOAA settings in CMX and then regenerating all the monthly and annual reports from 2013 to date. Then transfer all the reports onto the website, fortunately just one folder to move.

The end result is of course even higher departure from the norm, this year to date is 2.5C higher.

The joys of data!
      mcrossley
      Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
      Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I use the met office monthly regional data for my historic data - "Regional" on these graphs: https://weather.wilmslowastro.com/graph ... p#tempByYr

They are averaged values for all the stations in a region, for my area the temperature data goes back to 1884 (rainfall to 1836). If you select All data, then show one series at a time, there is a clear upwards trend.
      HansR

Post by HansR »

@mcrossley: actually your chart was one of the inspirations for the one I offer. You might think of using the HighCharts Trendline for the average series. That would show an interesting feature of this very long series!

And for the CUtils users: having the normal values, you might also be interested in the station average (with sdev): use both as value for the UseNormalTempReference and UseNormalRainReference parameters (check my site for how that looks). The number of series directly visible when the chart is displayed can be set by the parameter e.g. MaxNrOfSeriesVisibileInGraph=3 (default is 2)
      Hans