Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Lost getting started

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
WC2L
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless
Operating System: Win10

Lost getting started

Post by WC2L »

Hi Folks,
Maybe my lack of time to find the right answers. I understand that the software is supposed to run a PC (Linux or Windows), copy the files to a local or FTP site to display weather information. I also found the First-time setup wizard.

My Vantage Pro2 console is connected to the PC via USB.
How do I define the USB port?
Do you set it for something different?
I see that the WeatherLink Live maybe an option.

If there is someone willing to help me get started and explain things, it would be awesome!!

TNX Will

Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless weather station
Vantage Pro2 console via USB to PC
Weatherlink 6.0.5
WeatherLink Live 6100
Windows 10 PC with IIS running locally - https://dxc.wcwl.com/wxlinks.htm
I do have a web hosting server that I may want to FTP files to.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Lost getting started

Post by mcrossley »

As you have a WLL and VP2 you will have to make a decision about which one to use for your data source.

VP2 - Pros
- It provides historic data for free. So CMX can 'catch-up' on missing data for gaps when it is not running for any reason.

VP2 - Cons
- You need to keep the VP2 console and your computer close enough to connect via a cable
- Only one program can access it at any one time

WLL - Pros
- It's network connected so your computer and WLL can be located anywhere - so long as they are on the same network
- It's more flexible in how you can connect your sensors

WLL - Cons
- It requires a paid subscription to access historic data.
- It depends on your household network to be running for CMX to collect data

VP2
If you are connecting a VP2 via a Davis USB logger, then you will have switch that logger into Serial Mode using the WeatherLink software (? I have never done this, and can never remember if it is done in WL program or SiLabs utility - someone?).
Then look in Windows Device Manager to find out which COM[n] port has been allocated to it. (Though I think the WeatherLink software will also give you this information?)

You also have to decide what interval you want to use for logging data - 5 or 10 minutes are commonly used options. Then use the WeatherLink software again to set the logging interval in the Davis logger. (this can also be done via MX, but if you have WL running already, just do it from there!)

Make sure your close the WeatherLink program before running CMX - they cannot be run at the same time.

Run the First Time Wizard, inputting the COM port from above, and selecting your sensors and you should have a basic install up and running.

WLL
The WLL setup is just a little more complex on the CMX side - but you do not have to faff around with COM ports. It also requires (if you want historic 'catch-up' available) that you enable a paid subscription on the weatherlink.com web site.

If you want to go down this route, let me know and I'll post some more instructions.
WC2L

Post by WC2L »

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the reply. So, I did get the "paid" subscription. I was not crazy about it. I may reach out to Davis Instruments.
When I specify the ID for the WeatherLink Live device I get a message, "not allowed"
When I specify the ID for the station, it works just fine..
https://dxc.wc2l.com/webfiles/ (not tested from off my network).

So my console and WeatherLink software resides on a PC that is on 24x7 on a UPS that is backed up by standby generator! As long as the ISP is work, so it my station. I have lot of redundancy! It is mostly for ham radio, but weather is also fun thing to do.

I know there is a LOT of missing history (I have most in WeatherLink). I'm always interested in learning more!!

Will WC2L
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Your web page is working fine for me :)
WC2L

Post by WC2L »

I guess now is to figure out history if I care. All of it is in my computer's WeatherLink software!
More reading to do. I put it in a temp directory. Good new, I can move it ;-)

Will